Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

First git last night!

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by markal, Jul 27, 2017.

1. markal

markal Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2016
    Colorado
    I played my first gig last night (well, not including a 7th grade talent show about 4 million years ago) and man was that fun!

A group of guys who met through a local blues jam hosted by the owner of a music school formed a little band and the school owner coached us through three months of rehearsals. We played last night at a decent club in Denver (Herman's Hideway for those who know the area). We did only covers, mostly old blues and classic rock (Dobbie Brothers, Allman Brothers, Rolling Stones) and one more recent song (Black Keys). It went pretty well. We sounded good, and had only a few minor goofs that we were easily able to roll with. The "coach" had to play drums and sing (!) cuz the drummer he originally asked was not able to commit. We had two guitarists, keys, and of course bass and drums. I played a mix of lead and rhythm and did some backing vocals (I need some instruction on singing!).

Anyway, all in all we had a great time and I'm looking forward to doing more. I think this group will continue to play together by we'll have to find a permanent drummer, and either I"ll have to learn to sing better or we'll need a singer too.

Sad to report to the TDPRI community that I did not play my tele. I recently bought a PRS S2 Singlecut and I"m in love with it. The tele was my back-up but I didn't need it. I also used my Roland Blues Cube and a couple drive pedals.

Here are a few shots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

3. guitaradelic

guitaradelic Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2008
    Anderson, IN
    Well, now you have done it! There goes all hope for a normal life!!!

SecretSquirrel likes this.

4. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    Nice job, looks like you did a lot better than me. My first was in a trio at a ACE hardware store opening. Yes, it was that pathetic. My second was hiding in the back on stage at the Grand Ole Opry with a group of great writers / players. They wanted to give me a big thrill and talked me into joining them. I sort of blended into the background and kept the amp turned way down low while trying to keep up with the changes....missed several, but stayed for the few songs that I knew. It was pretty cool, but I am sure many in the crowd was wondering why I was part of the band.....sort of like the drummer's girlfriend with the tambourine because she wanted to be in the band too.

I just stay in the house these days and jam with friends as well as terrorize my cat...he is a very harsh critic.

I would say that you should be quite proud of your achievement.

5. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    Very very COOL! Remember the key thing to remember is that it's FUN!! When it stops being fun and becomes WORK? That's the time to stop....that's how I did it....now I'm having FUN again, and that's all I'm looking for!! No longer dealing with record company geeks and agents.....it's so much better....

RJ

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.