Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

First gig with the BF Pro Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by bigben55, Jul 15, 2017.

1. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    I thought it kicked arse! Outdoor campground/festival type gig, large area. The soundman miced it, so I only had it at 2.75 on the volume knob but really, more than that would be too loud on that stage. Im all for "cranking" amps, but when miced, I just want to be able to hear myself well on stage over the drums/bass and that was perfect.

As opposed to my basement, I found myself upping the treble and reverb a tad outdoors. I had the big pedalboard with me but really only used the FD2, FB3, SP Comp and wah. Was WAY happy tonewise. I have an alnico speaker coming for it, should make it sound even better.

I think the Pro Reverb gets overlooked, in terms of the spectrum of Fender amps. I have a BF Super Reverb as well. It's my favorite amp, but it doesn't sound as good at lower volumes as the Pro. Neither did the SF Twin I used to have. I could see a Princeton or Deluxe running out of headroom at a gig like last night. And the Vibrolux seems to cost twice as much as the Pro. Yeah, it's big and heavy but so am I . But, I think if I had to have just 1 BF/SF Fender for gigs, it'd be the Pro. 1500130519409.jpg 1500130528183.jpg

2. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    Nice amp! Congratulations. Hard to beat the big black face Fenders, unless we're talking tweed. ;)
    I bet it sounds great. All the power you'll ever need. Enjoy!

3. Sombrero Top

Sombrero Top Tele-Meister

Feb 26, 2010
    Finland
    Great amp! Pro Reverb is my favourite - after Super Reverb - of course. Seems like you have bass setting pretty low, at 2?

viccortes285 likes this.

4. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    That is interesting. I found that with my old BF Twin Reverb I did the same thing, especially when cranking the volume on the amp. It seemed to have a point (about 2 1/2 on the bass knob) where it sounded great. But higher than that on the knob, the bass just got mushy.

viccortes285 likes this.

5. FrankFoxBand

FrankFoxBand TDPRI Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Pa.
    Awesome! I have been gigging my '66 since...well, I can't remember that far back. I put a 1x12 baffle (from the late Mr. Rodgers) in mine and a single Jensen C12K. I also set it in front of me like a monitor (those tilt back legs are genius), that way I can crank 'er a wee bit more.
    Have fun with that amp!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017

6. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    Bass was at 3, must have been camera glare. Treble at 6.5, bright switch off, reverb at 3.

7. Sombrero Top

Sombrero Top Tele-Meister

Feb 26, 2010
    Finland

8. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    I had a 69 Pro Reverb, it was one of the best sounding Fender amps I've owned. Just bigger and heavier than I wanted to haul around.
    I liked it better than the Super Reverbs I've owned.

viccortes285 likes this.

9. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    Second gig tonite, equally happy with it. Something I noticed tonite, the amp runs DEAD quiet, even with single coils. Was playing my ASAT Classic with Fralin Blues Specials and I noticed almost no noise, even with the Fulldrive 2 engaged.

10. teleman55

teleman55 Tele-Holic

Jul 9, 2007
    fox lake, il
    I used a 70 Pro Reverb as my main amp from about 84 to 05. And still used it for another 7 or so years but less and less as I used a Deluxe Reverb more and more as my stage volume declined. So I finally sold it. I felt sorry for it as it wasn't getting used enough so I sold it to someone who would play the s##t out of it. Sometimes I miss it. My God what an amp! And like you say, even on 2 or 3 it sounds real sweet. And yeah, no real noise problems with single coils. Great amp.

11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Congratulations!
    I love BF Pro Reverbs, and have owned a few.
    The first time I saw SRV and Double Trouble, at the Rome Inn in 1978, he was playing through a pair of em'.

12. jazzguitar

jazzguitar Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Germany
    Great amps! I love mine. My first gig also was a garden party and I got favorable comments on my sound from a professional player (I consider myself an advanced amateur).

13. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    It's a good feeling when you love your clean tone at 2.5 on the volume knob and you know you can get WAY louder if need be. I've played BF/SF Fenders for years and as long as you have a pedal or two, there's nothing better. I went down the "smaller amp, crank it for OD " road for a few years(22 watt 2x10, 12 watt 5E3, 12 watt Savage) and man it's nice to have unlimited headroom.

J Hog likes this.

14. Mutato

Mutato Tele-Meister

Sep 16, 2008
    Rhode Island
    I wish I had kept my '65 Pro Reverb in mint condition. : - (

tweedlux likes this.

15. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    I'm actually glad mines NOT in mint condition. I got it's normal ch modded, and don't worry so much about bumps an bruises. I'd say it 6.5-7/10 cosmetically and originalness. The Super is 8.5/10. I'll keep that one nice.

16. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    :eek: I hope folks realize just how cool your post was. :cool:

deech54 and richiek65 like this.

17. misterdontmove

misterdontmove Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2011
    Connecticut
    Always between 2 and 3 on my Silver Super Reverb too! The bass gets too big real fast above 3 on the dial.

18. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    Man, I'm still loving this amp! Got the Mojotone/alnico speaker installed(perfect vol match to the Celestion A Type), and two more NOS GE 7025/12AX7A's for it since last month. Once I burn thru the Sovtek 6L6wxt+ power tubes, I have a good matched pair of winged Cs waiting.

I can't say how happy I am with my modded Normal channel. It's voiced for crunch and bigness, think early Angus Young/Billy Gibbons. I set it bright switch off, vol a touch over 3, treble at 9, bass at 7. Using this channel(with verb and trem added it it too)and a tele, it can be a plug and play and ride the guitar volume knob between clean and crunch OR with the Vibrato channel, the classic Fender pedal platform. Bring the board or leave it home! Or, via ABY box, anything in between. Super versatile.

19. jman72

jman72 Tele-Holic

Aug 31, 2013
    Central Florida
    I have a Silverface Pro Reverb that I picked up a few months back for a steal that I'm converting to a head/2x12 extension cab setup for easier hauling. It has a broken resistor in the reverb circuit that I'm still needing to repair, so I haven't yet gotten to play it with my band yet. Hearing you guys talk about your Pros is making me very excited to get this thing fixed and to put it to work!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.