First Fuzz Pedal

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Broclee89, Jun 26, 2019.

Fuzz pedal

1. Swollen Pickle

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  2. Fender Pelt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. EarthQuaker Hoof

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  4. EarthQuaker Park

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  5. Walrus Audio Janus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Seymour Duncan Fooz

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other?

27 vote(s)
    71.1%
  1. Broclee89

Broclee89 TDPRI Member

Looking to purchase a fuzz pedal. I don’t mind used. What are your thoughts?

2. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I had a Big Muff Pi that was pretty sweet. I’m not really a fuzz guy though, so I sold it off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

A fuzz pedal is probably the most interactive pedal there is. Some fuzz pedals can act different at various temps and humidities even.

You just have to try a whole lot of them to find one that works with your fingers, your guitar, and your amp.

And I think most fuzz circuits really sound best with an amp that is right on the natural edge of breakup. So... playing through a fuzz pedal in a store... with their guitar, their amp, at a restricted volume... probably not going to give you a great idea of how it’s going to sound with your stuff.

Sorry to be a downer... but that’s just how the fuzz works.

My favorite one is the Voodoo Lab Superfuzz, which is based on the Jordan Bosstone. That pedal has worked for me for years. I put a basic TS pedal in front of it and goose the input a little too.

Paul in Colorado and W.L.Weller like this.
  4. Broclee89

Broclee89 TDPRI Member

Hello Fellow Texan!

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  5. Broclee89

Broclee89 TDPRI Member

I’m a fellow Texan that was in Tennessee for the first 17 years of my life. 30 now!

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  6. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Holic

It's always weird when someone asks for advice on one piece of gear in an unknown chain and no sonic destination is given. Anyways, I cast my vote for Park Fuzz.

7. Broclee89

Broclee89 TDPRI Member

There will be no other effects and this goes straight into a Blackstar artist 15 blonde.

8. FRESHMEAT

FRESHMEAT Tele-Meister

Most of those posted are newer companies that were not around when I got my first pedal. It was an Electro Harmonix Muff Fuzz. The old original one like Hendrix used.

9. Jack Clayton

Jack Clayton Tele-Meister

I voted for the Park, as it's brilliant, and currently what's on my board. But I'd add a few other suggestions in the mix.

First off, the big muff pi with tone wicker. I hate the standard NY muff. Just me. Not my thing. But the muff with tone wicker is totally off the hook. Plus you can pick one up second hand for fifty-ish. There's no chance of buyer's remorse at that price.

Similarly, I'd recommend shopping for deals on the green Russian and op amp muff reissues. Theyre both great pedals with their own voices. They're cheap, they might just be your soulmate, and they'll resell pretty easily if they arent.

10. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Abandon hope all ye who enter here...

Fuzz addiction is real. Fuzzes are cantankerous beasts that don't work in every situation. You really have to try a bunch to find the right one for your style/guitar/amp. Two pedals that really peg the "bang for buck" meter are the Danelectro French Toast (a straight up Foxx Tone Machine clone) and the Little Bear BS-1 from eBay (a modified Fuzz Factory clone, which is itself essentially a deeply modified Fuzz Face). Both are pretty usable in a wide range of contexts.

radiocaster, blowtorch and W.L.Weller like this.
  11. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Meister

I think Jimi is more commonly associated with the Dunlop Fuzz Face.

Which is currently available in like 31 flavors. Along with the clones and versions and variants of the other dozen designs that came on the scene 50+ years ago.

Fuzz completely alters the interaction between guitar and amplifier. Even if you were saying "I want to sound exactly like (song x)" people would have fifteen different suggestions for how to get that sound.

My advice is to buy used and try it out for yourself. Every time I kick a fuzz on (fuzz, not distortion or overdrive or boost) I find myself playing differently. Fuzz is a core element to the electric guitar.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  12. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Holic

Hoof all the way! Proud owner of one. It was my first Fuzz pedal. Did some heavy researching before selecting it.

08FA0A8F-8BDA-4508-9CFF-CCCE810D8FDF.jpeg

Watch this video:

13. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

I'd go with a Fuzz Face ( the array of the Dunlop Minis are fine, I own the BC-108 square variant) for its dynamics- ability to clean up/ dirty up with guitar Volume knob

14. Broclee89

Broclee89 TDPRI Member

Which one would you buy?

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  15. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

I would try before buy, but folks really seem to dig either the light blue Germanium one, or the dark blue 'Jimi Hendrix 'model
    But I would only buy ( w/o trying) if I get 30 day trial/return
    -Side:
    I am not a high volume or hard rocker, so I prefer to use a dynamic fuzz that I can leave ON and just work it with guitar Volume, rather than kick on- just me!

16. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

The other Pandora's Box is to start building them yourself. A Fuzz Face has like 9 components on the board, it ain't rocket surgery to build one. If you have a soldering iron or are even a little curious, I'd highly recommend that route- you can build three or four pedals for the price of a cheap commercial model, and as you gain experience you'll learn how to tune and customize the circuits to your personal preferences.

tubejockey, MojoTrwall and Broclee89 like this.
  17. Broclee89

Broclee89 TDPRI Member

I have no soldering experience. How would I even.....?

18. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

StewMac offer a JHS Old School fuzz pedal kit you can build yourself.

19. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Meister

I had no soldering experience, really easy to get the trick.

Fuzz are the easiest to do, it's really intuitive.

Huge +1 for Fuzz DIY.

Some are tricky, Boss FZ2 is one of them, but anyone can build a replica of a fuzz, especially with pcb mounted pots.

Doing the wiring step IS a huge PIA because you've got to be patient.

And you don't have more than 5 pots in a fuzz, and there's ways to facilitate 3pdt wiring.

ce24 likes this.
  20. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Fuzz. That great Pandoras box of noise. One will never be enough. They breed, using your wallet to sustain their growth and expansion. They inveigle their way into your ears and plant ideas, notions of sound in order for you to further their existence.

DIY fuzz, whether a cheap Ebay clone from the Far East, one of the many options various vendors offer or a Vero lash-up, is inexpensive, easy and satisfying. But it won't stop there. Oh no, fuzz never sleeps.

The cheap as a burger Chinese mini pedals represent great value for the fuzztone collector. The Rowin LEF-606 is a superb sounding box of awesome. It has a wide range from velvet to hornet within. It has level, sustain ( fuzzy-wuzzy-ness ) and tone controls to play with, and responds really well to volume pot changes and changes to picking dynamics. Or it can peel paint and make your amp sound gloriously broken. Available under a number of different names.

Tom'sline make a range of fuzzes to tempt you too. Their G-Fuzz hits the spot ( G-spot?, first time a man has found it... ) Others have taken it apart and found it to be a genuine Germanium device. It too sounds awesome. Different to an op-amp or Silicon fuzz. You need all types. Fuzz must control you. It is written.

Behringer have produced a range of fuzzes in their plastic Boss-clone series. Don't be alarmed. The plastic boxes are tougher than the Internet echo chambers would have you believe. Unless you are a touring musician or a clump-footed stomp beast, they're tough enough. Thanks to Internet wisdom, second hand Behringer pedals are postal cost plus a beer token second hand.

Joyo make a few. You may be tempted by the Octave Fuzz model. The fuzz side of it is skronky ( in quite a good way ), while the octave makes it even more broken. Used with restraint, it's quite a good pedal.

Another Behringer is the VT911. Marketed as an overdrive pedal, it's a really good pedal for nailing Asheton tones, and who doesn't want that?. As an overdrive, it, unlike its larger brother, the VT999, it falls a little flat. Behringer chose unwisely with certain component values, rendering it fuzzy. This is to the benefit of Stooges fans everywhere. Again, chump change second hand. Don't bother changing the valve, the awful stock one is just what is needed here.

Don't spend a lot on individual fuzz pedals. They're capricious beasts and what sounds good in a Youtube demo may not work with your equipment. Instead, build your collection until you too have a shelf full of the little buggers, each taunting you. Be aware that some circuits, Germanium in particular, respond to temperature changes too. What sounds good in summer falls flat come winter and vice-versa.

Welcome to the rabbit hole.

Fuzzy-wuzzy wuz a bear.
    Fuzzy-wuzzy had no hair.
    Fuzzy-wuzzy wuzn't fuzzy, wuzzy.

tubejockey likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.