Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

First finish failures?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by dallasblues, Sep 9, 2017.

1. dallasblues

dallasblues Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2011
    Hey everyone! I love reading about projects other members have done or are currently working on. I'm curious, though, about those projects that didn't turn out as had hoped. While I see lots of beautiful finished products here on the forum, I'd really like to hear about and see those that didn't go so well. What went wrong? Was it salvageable? What did you learn from it?

2. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    oh boy. My first finish was rattlecan nitro.

The "sonic blue" turned out to be more like LPB. Not happy. So I bought some real sonic and sprayed over it. . . except that for some reason I put another coat of primer over the LPB before doing the sonic. Don't know if that caused the problems.

All fine after than until I masked off the control plate so I didn't damage the paint while soldering.

Short version, the masking tape took the sonic off. Shock.

By that point, my first ever partscaster, I really had had enough. I just touched up the sonic, but it was (and still is) totally obvious what had happened.

However, since then I have modded that guitar to death, changed the guard several times, etc, and played it to pieces, and it's now officially roadworn. So the original paint job screw-up is long forgotten and all part of the guitar's character.

It plays great and sounds great, by the way.

Vespa_One and dallasblues like this.

3. dallasblues

dallasblues Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2011
    That brings up a good point!

A bad finish job could always become a relic guitar, depending on the finish issue of course. A relic'd Tele with a bunch of runs in the paint and orange peel would still look crappy I guess.

I'm still not sure how my current, and first, project will turn out but I keep that option in the back of my mind.

4. zamdrang

zamdrang TDPRI Member

Aug 22, 2017
    California
    Working on my first one now... my be posting here again depending on how it goes!

GoKart Mozart and dallasblues like this.

5. Sweet Lou 275

Sweet Lou 275 TDPRI Member

Nov 24, 2016
    Washington
    My first ever finish was a burst I did in a really dark blue/black scheme. Spent I don't know how many hours to get right. Forgot to make sure the paint and nitro were compatible. Entire paint job sloughed off and fell to the floor within fifteen minutes of applying. I decided then that the guitar really just needed a natural stain and tung oil finish.

hemingway, dallasblues and Ooba Tooba like this.

6. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    United States
    My hats off to the many excellent finishers here at tdpri!

My first build was a Mahogany body. I didn't fill the grain. The stain came out blotchy and uneven. Rattle can nitro is pitted

I've used Tru Oil a couple times since. I don't have anywhere to spray realistically.

dallasblues likes this.

7. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    Oh, boy, there have been so many.

The one that stands out was the pine Telecaster. Against the advice of about 16,000 people used Deft lacquer on it. It sprayed beautifully, polished beautifully, and never hardened. That thing would imprint if I walked past it and sneezed. It sat on a stand for well over a year, and still the thing stayed soft. I eventually refinished it with Watco lacquer, and all is well.

8. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    I just did my first finish on a pine telebird body. I did it up in coral and it came out pretty great. However, I didn't let it cure quite long enough and every time I set it down it picked up the pattern from my carpet, the couch, it's case etc. I guess I shouldn't have thrown it together and started gigging it so fast, but I really wanted to play it. Next time I'll try to be more patient. Not my strong suit.

dallasblues likes this.

9. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I made a Tele for a guy who initially suggested he liked the BSB look.... so I proceeded to paint up a body in that fashion.... I was going to feather the paint back to get a more grainy see through look before a top coat clear.....try to get it as close as I could with what I had here...

sent him a pic after I put the first coats on....... oh no, that's not what I meant, I want to see the grain/wood more...

so, I sanded the whole thing back to wood.... and finished it with shellac and clear...

he was much happier....:)

like doing a job backwards paint first then sand off for a clear finish....:D

primer1.JPG sb color2.JPG

shellac1.JPG

dallasblues and LutherBurger like this.

10. dallasblues

dallasblues Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2011
    Nice save!

trev333 likes this.

11. Budda45ftw

Budda45ftw Tele-Meister

Aug 21, 2017
    Rochester NY
    I just finished my first build, huge learning curve but I didn't screw anything up so bad I couldn't fix it, and it's the nicest playing guitar I own. IMG_20170909_150001648_HDR.jpg here's a shot that shows my jacked up bridge situation. This mahogany was brittle. And my first time using a chisel.

dallasblues likes this.

12. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Estados Unidos
    Rattle-can tinted nitro lacquer on a maple vintage style tele neck. It was the first time I tried a tinted clear and it will be the last. Even the slightest amount of run and you pretty much have to start all over again since the tint pigment builds-up unevenly.

dallasblues likes this.

13. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Is that one of those new Gold Foils from GFS in the P90 sized case? If so, which one, and how do you like it?

Thanks,
    Rex

dallasblues likes this.

14. Budda45ftw

Budda45ftw Tele-Meister

Aug 21, 2017
    Rochester NY
    Yes
    Ferrite single coil
    Love it, serious bite.
    Noisy and a bit microphonic but dead quiet in the middle position

15. Budda45ftw

Budda45ftw Tele-Meister

Aug 21, 2017
    Rochester NY
    IMG_20170907_172105323.jpg screwed up the neck to the point where you don't want it on your guitar? Have a cigar box and some scrap wood handy? Make yourself a primo porch axe

Attached Files:

dallasblues likes this.

16. Widerange Hum

Widerange Hum Tele-Meister

May 14, 2016
    San Diego, CA
    It wasn't my first, but my worst was a butternut body of my own design that I tried tinted Tru Oil on. Unfortunately, I didn't do my research and I used Transtint in the oil. Which you can't do. It looked horrible and was super gummy. Sanded it back, shellac'd it to seal, and shot nitro over it, but it never did come out right.

dallasblues likes this.

17. dallasblues

dallasblues Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2011
    That's good to know. I'm about to do my first neck. It's maple and I already have a can of tinted gloss lacquer. I'll go easy on it!

18. dallasblues

dallasblues Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2011
    Another nice save!

19. freddarl82

freddarl82 TDPRI Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Colorado
    Oh, man, that's a bummer. I just finished spraying my '64 Melody Maker restore and a brand new USACG strat body. From the first necks I finished, I learned to let them just sit for at least a month before trying to sand/polish. I know, a lot of people say 10-14 days, but I figure I'll give it time to cure longer.

dallasblues and Jsil13 like this.

20. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    I had all the intentions to let it sit for a month, but I also had to go on the road for a week and I really wanted to play this new guitar. Haha. It still looks good, just had to resand and polish some spots again. Definitely a good learning experience. 20994185_10213973303990559_3361742235953129581_n.jpg

Attached Files:

dallasblues and Budda45ftw like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.