Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

First ever build (gonna need advice I'm sure)

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Ekko, Sep 23, 2017.

1. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Having done apartment Woodworking years ago, IMO, you'd be better off finding someone who can resaw/ plane that slab for you, then you can jump in with all the less-heavy work to build your guitar. Plus, with a good resaw job you could end up with two bodies, or at least a body and a cap for another build. The high-quality, new ( if your budget allows) router is still a good idea.

I hope you'll save the paint for another, more plain wood; it would have to be an exceptionally ugly piece of walnut to deserve being painted over. For me, once you start approaching final sanding on a piece of walnut, it is just magical how the natural grain, figures and color patterns emerge, worthy of enhancement and protection with oil or clear finish. Also, in an apartment, oil finish application is so much more do-able.

Ekko likes this.

2. Ekko

Ekko TDPRI Member

Jul 31, 2017
    Texas
    Tiniest of updates:

One thing that I want to do for this project is a vinyl record pickguard. But a problem I kept running into was putting the records into my modest collection. I discovered that any record by a band that I liked would go into the collection and I was even hesitant to make a pickguard out of a duplicate. At the same time I didn't want to have a pickguard made from a record from someone I didn't like or didn't want to represent.

Yesterday at a thrift store I found the perfect solution: someone I respect and even enjoy, but would likely never listen to of my own choosing.

I introduce to you, Paul Anka's greatest hits!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    kkphoto and JCL50 like this.

3. kkphoto

kkphoto TDPRI Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Hilo, Hawaii
    Thank you so much for that router planeing link! I'm a total noob as a woodworker so it was a great tip.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.