Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

First ding...sick to the stomach

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by benji657, Jan 23, 2016.

Fix or Nay?

1. Fix

13 vote(s)
    8.2%
  2. Nay

145 vote(s)
    91.8%
  1. benji657

benji657 TDPRI Member

Nov 25, 2015
    Seoul
    Hello all,

I'm a relatively new owner of a fantastic Wildwood Dealer Select 51 Nocaster as shown here...

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/fender-c...ealer-select-wildwood-10-51-nocaster-nos.html

I got my first paint chip in the most inconscpicuous of places, right in the bottom bout of the neck pocket.

[​IMG]

I really wish I had just gotten a relic instead of an NOS (because I wanted to do my own relicing). How ironic! I can be so dumb sometimes.

It started out like this:
    [​IMG]

I really have no idea how it came about. Maybe it's because the neck pocket is so damn tight I can't even fit a thin piece of paper inside. I must have brushed against it with my fingernails and it must have crumbled off. :(

The logical part of me says I'm pretty nuts to go ballistic over this. I even have a Gibson ES that has a bunch of wear marks and buckle rashes and checking, and I don't give a crap but this! Out of all guitars this freaking tele has me by the balls. How could this be?!

To be fair in the few weeks that I've had my nocaster, I've put in some honest wear and sweat that I don't mind, but this chip for some reason this chip bugs me to no end. It's like a symbol of my stupidity.

Fix or nay? I'll let your votes decide...If I fix, will it be worse than before?

2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Touch it up, but don't stress about it. ;-)

coloradojeff and nick0 like this.

3. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    in a few weeks you won't care

RLee77, brbadg and nicholaspaul like this.

4. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 12, 2008
    Houston
    I say nay, just roll with. I get the feeling from your post, that you should fix it for your piece of mind.;)

pokett likes this.

5. LongLiveRock54

LongLiveRock54 Tele-Holic

Mar 30, 2010
    Alabama
    I have a similar issue like that on one of my inexpensive guitars. I've never touched it up.

If the neck pocket is that tight, it might have been damaged from the factory and it just took some handling by the user to exacerbate the damage, or did you do some adjustment to the neck to cause it?

Either way, if you have the proper skills and materials to touch it up, I would just do that and move on.

As much as I hate dinging up my guitars, it's going to happen if you are going to play them.

6. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Leave it. There'll be more.

This is one of the reasons I always by used or B stock or shop soiled or make partscasters. I KNOW for sure I am going to make marks and I don't want to care.
    I was so pleased when my 60s Classic Oly white started to get knocks.... chips, scratches and the bridge started to look oxidised and a little rusted. Looks a lot better to me now than glassy new (and I'n not really that into anything but very light relics).

Just keep loving it not babying it - like kids.

pokett and Flaneur like this.

7. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I would repair it. While I'm not OCD about such things, I do like to care for my guitars and keep them looking close to new. From a practical side I like to "stabilize" the area so it won't chip further.
    That looks like an easy repair. I'm pretty sure Reranch has a blonde touch up pen (nitrocellulose) and the method described in the StewMac video on drop fill repairs should work fine.
    The other side is, if not done correctly, it could look worse. I am not very good at this sort of stuff but have repaired similar dings in two of my guitars using reranch pens and the Stewmac method.

nick0 likes this.

8. MrTwang

MrTwang Friend of Leo's

Feb 9, 2009
    London, England
    Now it's had its first ding you can relax and stop treating it like a Ming vase. There will be more. You already said you wanted to do your own relicing on it - well now you've started.

When I bought my paisley Tele (Japanese reissue) it was really cheap as it already had a dent in the finish. I was happy about this - not only was it ridiculously cheap but I didn't have to worry about the first inevitable scratch. As a result I gigged with it (and still do) much more than if it had been pristine.

If it helps, I had to really look for your chip.

9. JustEd

JustEd Tele-Meister

May 25, 2014
    Apopka
    It's a shame when something like that happens. I felt the same way when it happened to me, and I only paid $350.00 new for mine.

In my case I was just so shocked so shocked to have it happen so soon. I just left it alone, it was a small ding after all.

In your case I would do as burntfrijoles suggested.

nick0 likes this.

10. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

You have clearly diminished it's value tremendously. Before it accumulates any more repulsive looking defects, sell it to me for the generous but fair sum of 300 bucks......I know! I know!.....I am a kind man. Just....... send it to me. ;) (I think you'll learn to love it)

11. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire

I know that first-ding feeling. You might feel it again when you get the next one, because that isn't much of a ding. I'd leave that, and try to wear out the rest of the guitar.

12. benji657

benji657 TDPRI Member

Nov 25, 2015
    Seoul
    You know what? I'm gonna man up and go give it another ding. Thanks for beating some sense into me guys. It's my dream guitar and I'm gonna go bang it up.

I can't be worried about a fingernail ding when I gotta practice more to get it to look like this: [​IMG]

13. Telepi

Telepi Tele-Afflicted

Apr 22, 2009
    Missouri
    Dings are tough. I have a Wildwood thin skin 52 Hot Rod. My first ding happened on the top top edge of the side closest to the front. I still have no clue how it happened. I was bummed for about 20 seconds. I noticed it as I was tuning up at a jam session with some friends. I showed it to them and said, look, my first ding. I've got a relic now. They just gave me a blank stare. I got no sympathy. None. I figure, it'll be okay. It's a Tele.

14. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2014
    atlanta
    I wouldn't worry about it. In ten or fifteen years it will look like this anyway:

[​IMG]

Pcaluaru likes this.

15. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Easy enough to fix if you want to. If it was mine I would ignore it.

That's a stress crack/chip. Pressure from the neck on that thin area caused a little flex in the wood and popped that little chip.

16. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Play the dern thing.
    Then play it some more.
    Then inspect it.
    Then forget about it.
    Repeat, often!!!:lol:
    P.S.
    I did the same thing to my then new MIM Cabronita Thinline, except my paint chip is way bigger.
    I like to swap necks on my 'casters.
    Some necks are bigger that others.
    As long as the wood isn't damaged, I don't mind much.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016

17. 1hoofer

1hoofer Tele-Meister

May 8, 2013
    Exactly the same happened to my Todd Krause Tele after I'd had it two weeks! I understand completely how you feel.
    It took me a month or so to stop thinking about it!
    But I left it as it was and eventually my mind settled down...and I thoroughly enjoyed playing and hearing it.

18. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I spent 14 months on my first scratch build. 18 hours after I declared it "done", I dropped my nut vise on the top. :cry: That hurt, but it also sorta cured me of worrying about dings in my guitars. :lol:

19. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    First dose of Mojo!

SeaFoamGreener likes this.

20. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    I'm a dingophobe, that's why I prefer to buy used, preferably beat-up guitars. I would likely feel obliged to fix it.

A slight sideways jolt on the neck could have done that - I have a strat with exactly the same damage. Luckily the rest of it is so beat up it doesn't matter.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.