Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

First build (Warmoth)

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by beep.click, Apr 21, 2017.

1. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 7, 2007
    California
    I've swapped out parts and pickups and even necks before, but now I'm starting fresh. Bought a shell pink Strat body and a satin-nitro neck from Warmoth, and now I'm sourcing the rest of it and working out my strategy.

What should I think about that I haven't considered? One thing finally popped into my brain, after staring at the body for a half hour: uh-oh, there are no holes for the strap buttons. How do you get them in the right place? And drill the holes straight??? Same question for the pickguard holes, except the guard does guide you to the proper locations.

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    You may want to read some of the build threads in this forum. They are a wealth of information that handle all the aspects of putting instruments together.

3. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

Apr 28, 2010
    Dexter, MI, USA
    I really don't mean to be a smartass when I say this, but you drill the holes straight by holding the drill straight... Some drills have a level on them which helps, otherwise you eyeball it.

As for the strap locks, I go at the midpoint of the body. The lower one is easy to position because it's in the center of the body. for the one on the horn, copy th elocation from another strat, or the picture of another strat, or one of the blueprints of a strat that is on the web. It doesn't have to be perfect, just close.

On pickguard holes I usually tape it in place, then start at one end and work my way around, putting the screws in as I go. That way nothing shifts as you go and makes the holes not line up.

Remember to put some sort of lube on the screws for the strap holders. I've used candle wax and on occassion wax meant to lube saws.

BTW I put a Warmoth strat together about six years ago. It's my favorite guitar, they make nice stuff!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.