Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

First build: The P90 Jazzcaster

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by mucdude, Jun 17, 2018.

1. mucdude

mucdude TDPRI Member

Dec 3, 2017
    Germany
    I got the idea to build a partscaster guitar after spending hours on several guitar forums including this one. The inspiration to build a Jazzcaster type guitar came after browsing the Warmoth site. Blending the cool offset body style with the classic Tele electronics sounded like a good idea! Since I already have a standard Tele and a neck humbucker one, I decided to go with a P90 in the neck position.

Shipping costs and taxes to Europe are outrageous, so I got the body (swamp ash) from Guitarbuild in the UK. Downside is, they don't offer finishing the body. Since I don't have the talent or equipment to spray a guitar body, I went for the Wudtone finish (Azure Lagoon), which is easy enough to apply. The neck is an Allparts TRO-C finished in Tru-oil with a nitro finish on the headstock. Tuners are Duesenberg Z-Tuners. Pickups are a Zhangbucker “Lollipop” P90 and a Seymour Duncan “Jerry Donahue”. For wiring I decided to go with a reversed Tele control plate because I use the volume control quite often. The switch is a 4-way that includes both pickups in series in position 2.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Overall, I'm very happy how this first build turned out. The guitar is easy to play and sounds great especially when combining both pickups. The finish is not exactly what I expected but looks good nonetheless.

Guitar building is addictive and I'm already looking at parts for my next one!

Inglese, anfyrt, BorderRadio and 7 others like this.

2. NICQ

NICQ TDPRI Member

May 15, 2017
    Vienna/Austria
    Wow that looks fantastic!

Really like the swamp ash grain with that colour - guitarbuild.co.uk make great bodies

I thought about wudtone too but will go Sonic Blue Nitro with my next build.. their colours seem a bit inconsistant from all the pictures that I found (was looking for somethinh light blue transparent)

Was it easy to apply and get even coverage?

3. Very nice! Great job!

4. mucdude

mucdude TDPRI Member

Dec 3, 2017
    Germany
    The Wudtone finish was easy to apply. You just need to be very patient! Different parts of the wood took in the color differently, so it doesn’t really look “even”. I don’t know if that’s due to bad sample preparation, but I’ve seen many examples that looked like that.

I was actually expecting a different result. It’s true that the results you see online are quite variable. In some pictures the “Azure Lagoon” looks quite blue (that’s what I was looking for) or it turns out more green (that’s what I got). Wood type definitely makes a difference: I thought about going with a matching headstock and ordered a maple wood sample. This gave completely different results to the swamp ash, so I dropped the idea.

Overall, I was a bit disappointed at first, but now I quite like the finish. I’ve already ordered another kit for my second build, I’m curious to see how this one turns out!

5. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Jun 27, 2005
    Montclair, NJ
    That looks quite nice, just the way it is.

6. Loudog99

Loudog99 Tele-Holic

Jul 29, 2009
    Howell, NJ
    I love everything about that! More and more these days I gravitate to finishes that show the grain. Something about seeing and feeling the grain is very appealing to me. Beautiful build.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.