Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

First build: Single P90 telecaster

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Jsil13, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    Perfect. I wanted to get too much, but I wasn't ready to order a lb of it. The carving was the most intimidating part of the build for me. I was more nervous about building the neck than anything, but it turned out to be my favorite part of the build. I'm not looking forward to fretting it, but it's a skill that I want to learn anyway.

I have to fix a crappy route on the bolivian rosewood neck, and then I can start working on that one too. I'm looking forward to the next carve already, but I should get back to finishing up these bodies. But man that black limba is calling my name. Just need to find someone that can mill it into two 13/16" or so pieces.

eallen likes this.

2. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    IMG_2694.JPG

So I plugged the gaping hole that I had at the truss rod access on this Bolivian rosewood. I realize the grain doesn't match, but the fretboard will have an overhang and there will be a pickguard on the guitar.

Tomorrow I'll sand it flush and attempt to redrill the hole. It's not the prettiest, but it's better than it was. Then I can hit it with the spindle sander to get it to the correct width and install the truss rod.

Ekko likes this.

3. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    Well this looks a lot better. IMG_2701.JPG IMG_2702.JPG

4. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    I've got the truss rod in and fretboard glued on. My band is opening for the Gin Blossoms today at Indian Ranch so I can't work on it today unfortunately.

Tomorrow I'll and the fretboard to shape, drill the tuner holes and start on the neck carve.

5. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA

6. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

Jul 20, 2013
    Island of Oahu

Unfortunately!?!
    Isn't playing it live the far end of any guitar project?

Hey Jsil13

Your first neck is looking good, cool you made the jump to making your own neck
    glad you went with regular nickel fret wire. Keep it simple!
    the rose wood neck is super neat

How about a fresh 'live' picture from the ranch.;):D

7. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    IMG_2723.JPG IMG_2722.JPG IMG_2714.JPG IMG_2707.JPG
    IMG_2718.JPG

8. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    I went with nickel, but I might try stainless at some point. I like it on my Warmoth neck that is on my Pink telebird. That's also my Duesenberg and beat to heck Fender Deville.

The bolivian rosewood aka pau ferro is a really nice looking piece of wood. Definitely seems harder than maple, but I guess that's why they make fretboards out of it. That's also on that pink telebird.

I'm pretty sure that's the longest name for a lake I've ever seen. Translated it means "I fish this side of the lake, you fish that side of the lake, and no one fishes in the middle".

2blue2 likes this.

9. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

Jul 20, 2013
    Island of Oahu
    Cool Thanks

LOL For real?

Jsil13 likes this.

10. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    Yup. The first time I saw it I didn't think it was real, but alas it is.

2blue2 likes this.

11. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    You can get a better idea of what the grain looks like on the pau ferro blank and the rosewood board. This is dampened with naphtha. IMG_2732.JPG IMG_2733.JPG IMG_2734.JPG

Tomorrow I'll sand the fretboard down to width, and maybe drill the tuner holes.

The Angry Possum and Ekko like this.

12. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA

13. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    My fret wire arrived from Stewmac today. I think they should have used a bigger box. It's the nickel medium high wire. I still need to carve the second neck and do a little more shaping on the first one before I'm at that stage. First I'll read as many threads as I can on fret bending, cutting, filing, shaping etc.
    IMG_2742.JPG

I've really enjoyed working on necks. I think when I get into that black limba build that I might make the neck first and then create my own neck heel template to the individual guitar.

The Angry Possum and Ekko like this.

14. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Ad Free Member

Jsil13, this is a really great thread! Good work on all of it. I particularly like that you're not trying to hide the mistakes in your posts but putting everything up front. Reading the older threads over the years of the regulars in the build challenges always intimidated me 'cus they were so...perfect. I really enjoy seeing how you're fixing things as they happen.

Aren't spindle sanders wonderful, though? And great work on the neck - congratulations!

The Angry Possum and Jsil13 like this.

15. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    Thanks idjster. Hopefully I can limit some of those mistakes moving forward. Haha. I love going through those old threads and just trying to soak things in, but it's like Bob Ross said "There are no mistakes, just happy accidents." Although painting is a lot different than wood working. There are still some more issues I need to work out on the bodies. I'll try to tackle them in a bit. My idea of doing that bizarro shape in a natural finish is gradually slipping away.

My spindle sander might be the most useful tool that I have right now. I seriously love that thing. I'm still working without a band saw. That will most likely be the next thing I pick up. Cutting bodies out with a jigsaw isn't terrible, but it would be a lot easier with a band saw. I also have a router table and a porter cable router that I haven't used yet. It kind of freaks me out so I've been using my laminate router for the pickup and control cavities and then the spindle sander to do the outside of the bodies.

16. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    I got the side dots installed. These ones came out much more straight than the last ones. I really like working with the aluminum for these. It's really easy and comes out looking nice. Maybe one of these days I'll try to do some aluminum inlays when I'm radiusing my own fretboards.
    IMG_2744.JPG

Ekko likes this.

17. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    So here's where I'm at right now. I've been working on the necks and neglecting the prep work I need to do on the bodies. I just realized that the traditional style maple/rosewood neck is going on the non traditional body shape while the traditional shape is getting the pau ferro/rosewood neck. This is not tradition. IMG_2747.JPG

The Tele is still getting the Jeep anvil color and I was planning on doing a try oil finish on the weird body. Said weird body needs a piece glued in by the right cutaway from back when I cut the neck heel too thin. I'm not sure I can hide it without an opaque finish. If I end up having to paint it I might do fiesta red. I love that color but every time I go to paint it I end up with something else. This time if I'm forced to I'm sticking with it.

2blue2 and Ekko like this.

18. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    Got some carving done today. Still need to work on the transitions a bit and sand out some low spots. IMG_2757.JPG IMG_2758.JPG IMG_2759.JPG

On the maple neck I had missed a step from the let's make a neck thread. The one where you take a bit off the neck before you draw the facets on. That's why that one is just about an inch thick at the first fret. I might want to take that down a bit.

This one I took the measurements from the standard thin Warmoth neck. So it's much thinner. This one also doesn't need a finish, so I plan on sanding it up to 2000 grit like I did with my roasted maple Warmoth neck. I love that feel.

Ekko and eallen like this.

19. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    After neglecting the bodies I was working on in favor of carving necks I'm back at it. The Tele that I had started painting for sanded down back to bare wood. I went over the body with 120, 220, and then 320. Then I realized I forgot to cut the truss rod access. So I did that and resanded what I had to. Now it's all cleaned up and ready for some primer. IMG_2773.JPG IMG_2774.JPG

This time instead of the zinsser I'm going to use primer that's from automotive touch up which is where the paint came from. They'll make you any car color you want which is pretty cool, so if this works out I'll probably use them again to get some of the classic muscle car colors.

eallen and Ekko like this.

20. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    On the other body I'm running into another issue caused by me thinning out the right side of the neck pocket. I ended up flattening the inside of the right horn and now you can see the bottom of the neck. IMG_2769.JPG IMG_2770.JPG IMG_2772.JPG

Now I'm trying to think of the best way to fix it. I'm thinking I could glue in another piece of alder and then hit it with the spindle sander to round out the outside. I don't know why I cut the right side of the pocket off, but it was definitely a dumb move. I wanted to try a natural finish on this one, but I'm not sure that's going to happen now. At least that router blow out would be covered by a pickguard.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.