Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

First build, first time finishing - nitro

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Pandolce, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Pandolce

Pandolce TDPRI Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Usa
    Hello all, been a long time lurker and just made an account because I have a quick question. I'm bidding on a few mjt bodies on eBay and they seem to be an absolute steal for what they're selling for, pumped for that. Originally was going to have them finish the neck but after some reading I think I can tackle a nitro finish on the neck myself. I'll be using minwax clear laquer and ordering a roasted maple neck from usacg. My question is, what is the least amount of coats I can do? Most say 3, but I found a thread of a guy who uses 1 coat and claims to not have to wetsand at all? Just use a polishing compound, how would I do this exactly? I'm sorry I'm a noob and want to do this the right way, thanks in advance!!

2. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    It's a question that can't be answered.

Are you planning on using a toner to darken the finish slightly or just clear? How are you planning to prepare the neck? Have you read any finish instruction (like reranch.com)?

Lacquer application normally requires 1) lacquer sanding sealer, then 2) toner if applicable, then 3) clear gloss, semi-gloss or satin lacquer.

All are applied in very thin passes - 3 per coat. The number of coats varies depending on the quality of your preparation; toner coat(s) and whether over the whole neck or graduated in certain areas; the quality of your spray technique; the gloss you want (semi or satin *may* require less); the protection/durability you want, and whether or not the spray results will allow you to go straight to buffing or if it needs sanding - and how much.

If you have to sand you need quite a bit more material. You'll also want to have enough to spray the whole system on a piece of "practice" wood and make sure you know exactly what to do bwefore you ever coat the neck. You never just start on a neck without doing the whole process first.

All that being said - generally sealer, toner (if any) and 5-6 coats. Possibly more. 5-6 coats of properly applied lacquer over a sanded sealer are *very* thin.

3. Pandolce

Pandolce TDPRI Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Usa
    No toner, the neck will be roasted

4. Pandolce

Pandolce TDPRI Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Usa
    I'm confused, the reranch site says after sanding the neck is ready to be sealed, and to use clear laquer as a sealer ?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.