Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

First Amp Build 5E3

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Dylan Bob, Jan 27, 2019.

1. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Sep 13, 2008
    Lansing, MI
    The heater connections don't get included because they'd make the connection really messy on the diagram. It's where you see "fil" which is short for filament.

Twist and push to the corner like you've mentioned and you're good. Use the green wire for that.

Dylan Bob likes this.
  2. jchabalk

jchabalk Tele-Meister

Mar 11, 2009
    Northern California
    The pins marked "fil" are meant to represent the filament wires, which are the twisted wires you've seen. So with that diagram (which is a layout rather than a schematic) you connect the filament pins for each tube together. The way people tend to do it is to twist a pair of wires together (green), clip it into as many sections as you need and make the connections as:
    Wire1: 6v6p2 -> 6v6p2 -> 12ax7p4,5 -> 12ax7p4,5
    Wire2: 6v6p7 -> 6v6p7 -> 12ax7p9 -> 12ax7p9

I don't see your entire layout but the green filament wires from the transformer connect to the lamp, and then from the lamp they go to the first 6v6 and then on to the final 12ax7.

That layout also uses letters to show the power connections on the board represented as letters. I see "A" on your sheet, there's another A there somewhere (maybe more than one).

I'll try to read through the thread too - i'm just looking at this most recent post right now and figured i could help.

Dylan Bob likes this.
  3. Dylan Bob

Dylan Bob TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2017
    Portland, Oregon
    That is for the info. I'll look out for the "fil" markings on the diagram.

4. Dylan Bob

Jul 18, 2017
    Portland, Oregon
    Thanks for the info about the pin numbers for the wiring on the tube sockets. They are not listed on my diagram. Thanks also for pointing out that I am using a diagram and not a schematic. Terminology is important but sometimes elusive for me

I'm constantly amazed at how kind and generous people on this site are! I'm nobody and can't expect so much help, but people are so willing to give help. It's too bad the entire world isn't like TDPRI.

Whatizitman, Junior Little and robrob like this.
  5. jchabalk

jchabalk Tele-Meister

Mar 11, 2009
    Northern California
    yeah man, TDPRI's the best. i'd say this particular forum is amazing, i've learned a ton over the years from other members. Happy to help.

I just checked out the weber 5e3 layout you're using, it looks like the filaments are the only thing you've got to connect the dots to. The output transformer primary (A) is just there to indicate that all of those wires come through the same grommet in the chassis.

A good bit of advice is to triple check the connections on the underside of the board - check them visually referencing the layout the whole time - and also take a good picture of it before you bolt it in place. it'll come in handy when/if you need to troubleshoot during startup.

cheers

Dylan Bob likes this.
  6. corliss1

Sep 13, 2008
    Lansing, MI
    or..............just don't do any underboard connections :D

bigguy12321 likes this.
  7. jchabalk

jchabalk Tele-Meister

Mar 11, 2009
    Northern California
    haha, exactly. ;) it always looks so much nicer without them though.

I noticed - and you can see it on your layout, at the pilot light it shows, "to all fils." that's the clue they give you which is definitely confusing at first.

8. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    Good ideas and details here.

DB, is that the Weber layout? (As you've figured out two kinds of diagrams. Layouts = physical maps, schematics = electronic maps. A big deal when we're starting out is to learn to go back and forth between the two.)

Weber's layout is OK but many of us prefer the details on Rob's unmodified 5e3 layout. If nothing else, the PT and household AC (mains) wiring is much clearer, the filter-cap grounding is more elegant, and...

Rob_5e3_Layout_DIYLC.png

Back at wire colors, you don't need to match Weber's drawing. Looks like you figured out the green. Black is often used for grounds. You should be able to guess the gauge on the unlabeled wires by stripping an bit and comparing to the labeled ones. Dave may have a special plan for the blue/white, and there are different ideas (all fairly valid) about using colors to code functions, but look over some recent Boothill and other 5e3 builds for style points -- 22ga is fine for almost anything in a small amp like this. Fender used mostly yellow, but whatever color you have, I like to study Fender's tidy lead dress. (You just gotta overlook the fact they didn't run two filaments back then). :D

19595e3TweedDeluxeCloseup.jpg

Paul-T, Dylan Bob and robrob like this.
  9. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    Very cool. Hoping to do one of these myself as a reward when I get out of X-ray school in a couple years.

Dylan Bob likes this.
  10. Paul-T

Paul-T TDPRI Member

Nov 23, 2018
    London
    Could you give me a link for the plans, please? I thought I had a plan bookmarked and for the life of me can't find it again.

I'm enjoying this thread and soaking up the advice for when I start my 5f2a.

11. Dylan Bob

Jul 18, 2017
    Portland, Oregon
    Here is a link to the plans I'm looking at. They look good to me, and seem to be a little more detailed than some I have seen:
    http://thebluesalligators.narod.ru/olderfiles/1/5E3_DELUXE_STYLE_CABINET_3.pdf

Good luck, and I hope to see your thread when you get started. Cheers!

Paul-T likes this.
  12. Dylan Bob

Jul 18, 2017
    Portland, Oregon
    853F2DC8-EC66-442D-AE8D-EF3673E566A7.jpeg Just because it is the busy season, my boss thinks it is a better idea to work long days instead of building amplifiers. Sheesh! Time to do some weekend amp building.

King Fan, I'm not sure if it's the Weber layout. I got it with my Boothill kit, and the photo shows it in questionable detail (i need to charge my good camera's battery). Thanks for the advice about using both the layout and a schematic. I'm endeavoring to do this.

So, I have been pouring over Rob's site more (it's like an amp builder's treasure, isn't it?), and I am going to (re)base my build off of a combination of his unmodified layout and a couple of his mods. I'd like to use the Switched Negative Feedback mod and the Pre PI Master Volume mod.

Thanks for the reply about the various wires. It's easy to feel like I'm overlooking important information because I have never done this before. Cheers!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    robrob and King Fan like this.
  13. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    Good on ya, DB. Rob's mods are great, and somewhere he describes how to build stock with just a tweak or two (an extra eyelet for the NFB mod, a hole in the chassis for the switch) that will set you up to add the mods *after* you get the amp working. Emphasis on 'after'. :)

robrob and Dylan Bob like this.
  14. Dylan Bob

Jul 18, 2017
    Portland, Oregon
    So, I’m going to buy my speaker from TedWeber.com. I’m leaning towards the 12A125A but I might like the “later breakup” of the 12A125. Anybody have experience with both these speakers or any opinions about them?

Also, I’m unsure about whether I should get the 20watt or the 30watt. I’d appreciate input from anyone. Thank you.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  15. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2012
    United States
    For the 5E3 you can't beat the 12A125A, 20 watt and light dope. Have them do the free speaker break-in too. You could spec the 30 watt if you think you might use it with a Deluxe Reverb class 20 watt amp in the future.

16. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

May 24, 2016
    Florida
    The alnico signature 12" is a winner in a 5e3 (or any similar amp) too, if you aren't sure about spending the $$ for the vintage series.

Dylan Bob and robrob like this.
  17. Dylan Bob

Jul 18, 2017
    Portland, Oregon
    SocketPinNumbers.jpg
    Have I got the pin numbers correctly labelled? I'm having a hard time finding this information

18. D'tar

D'tar Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    WNY
  19. corliss1

Sep 13, 2008
    Lansing, MI
    The index key is between 1 and 8. Here's a picture, ignore the wires.

screenshot.1.jpg

Dylan Bob likes this.
  20. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    I put a little red paint on the #1 pin on my sockets, makes a great reference point.
    IMG_2901.jpg

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019 at 7:56 PM
    D'tar and King Fan like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.