Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Firmware Update: V3.0 For the MS-50G

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Randy Ito, Mar 17, 2017 at 11:30 AM.

1. Randy Ito

Randy Ito TDPRI Member

Jun 15, 2016
    Japan
    FIRMWARE UPDATE: V3.0 FOR THE MS-50G
    https://www.zoom.co.jp/MS-50G_update
    Firmware V3.0 adds 72 new amp, reverb, delay, overdrive, filter, and modulation effects.

and

ZOOM STOMPSHARE APP — NOW FREE FOR MS-100BT OWNERS
    https://www.zoom.co.jp/StompShare_Free
    As of March 2017, all effects available in the Zoom StompShare app will be available to view and download at no cost. StompShare let you view and manage all 116 effects (72 guitar effects and 44 bass effects) in the app’s library, as well as download the effects of your choice.

fun

2. Redvers

Redvers Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2016
    Wales
    Why are the 70CDR owners getting nothing? No firmware updates or nothing!

3. Pepi

Pepi Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2004
    Indiana
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2013
    Kansas
    Maybe they're working on it?

6. Redvers

Redvers Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2016
    Wales
    Maybe, but this is the second or third round of updates for the other two I think.

7. CyrusF

CyrusF TDPRI Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Illinois
    Dang, I gotta get this update! I have V2 on mine. This is exciting news!

8. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
  9. Pepi

Pepi Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2004
    Indiana
    This works GREAT! Now you can remove a lot of those 'Strange' effects and add what you only want. This is also one step from being a computer controlled effects pedal. Wish I was good a Visual Basic LOL

10. Ravioli

Ravioli NEW MEMBER!

Sunday
    finland
    Does anyone have any idea why the effects manager says that i need to update to newest firmware when trying to write effects to my ms-50g?
    I've updated it many times with two different computers and different usb ports but nothing seems to work.

11. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's

Dec 29, 2006
    Potsdam, NY
    Thanks for the heads-up. I have an MS-50G on my board to handle all those "other" effects. I love the number of different effects it makes available, in the space of a single Boss pedal.

I just wish they'd make a full PC-based GUI editor for it. Editing effects and patches is a pain when the pedal is mounted on a board. I'd experiment with it a lot more if I could tweak parameters on my desktop rather than bending over on my knees, while trying to get the pedal's little display lined up in my bifocals.

P.S. - I just looked at the PDF of the updated effects list. The new additions have little blue stars next to them and it looks like an awesome bunch of effects. Still wish they had a GUI editor program for it, though.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017 at 2:53 PM
  12. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2013
    Kansas
    I thought they did add an editor. Make sure to scroll to the bottom of the download page. That feature puts the pedal into a whole new category.

13. Pepi

Pepi Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2004
    Indiana
    It is an editor to add or remove only. I would like to see Zoom add the 50 to their controller program they already have. Probably would not be that hard ... FOR THEM :)

foundjoe likes this.
  14. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's

Dec 29, 2006
    Potsdam, NY
    If you Google for it, you can find that there was a guy who was reverse-engineering some software for the Zoom pedals. IIRC, he posted at TalkBass and TGP. He had an up/downloader, MIDI patch change, and some real-time expression control. Editing patches was apparently difficult or impossible. Unfortunately, his web page seems to be gone. Maybe Zoom bought him.

15. Raflique

Raflique NEW MEMBER!

Monday
    Poland
    Same issue to me.
    Three different computers (HP EliteBook, Pavilion nad Lenovo), two USB cables.
    Each on windows (10 or 7).
    Please let me know if the issue is solved.

16. Redvers

Redvers Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2016
    Wales
    It looks like if you know your way around sysex messages you can put the pedal in verbose mode (basically it tells the PC everything it does) and control it about as deeply as you need to go. (That's not related to the update at all by the way)

17. Randy Ito

Randy Ito TDPRI Member

Jun 15, 2016
    Japan
    Have you updated your firmware?
    Is it displayed as Ver. 3.0 when turning on ?

18. Raflique

Raflique NEW MEMBER!

Monday
    Poland
    Yes, the firmware has been updated. It displays 3.0 when turning on.
    I made it two times to be sure if everything went well.
    P.s. When I read the firmware version history, I could see that in ver. 2 they had a problem with recognizing the USB chipset in mainboard:

ver. 2.0
    ・ Released as following bug fix and function update in July 2013
    1. Added 45 new effects.
    2. Unable to connect to specified USB chipset.
    3. When turning power on, effects disappear in rare cases.

ver. 2.1
    ・ Released as following bug fix in August 2013
    1. MS-50G fails to update on particular PC in rare cases.

I think we should wait for ver. 3.1 of above mentioned firmware...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.