Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Firebird Pickup vs. Mini-humbucker?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by bennyfreedom, Jun 21, 2013.

1. bennyfreedom

bennyfreedom TDPRI Member

Hello All,

First off, I'm a relatively new member. Been reading for a while and have made a few comments, but this is my first post. So here goes...

I've been on another Neil Young gear kick as of late and was reading a few articles about Old Black where both Neil and his tech Larry Cragg make the point that the bridge pickup is not a Mini-humbucker, but a Firebird pickup. In one article Larry describes the difference between the two briefly, but I was wondering if anyone here can explain the internal differences between the two. And further, is the Seymour Duncan Antiquity Firebird pickup an accurate recreation?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

2. kmac

kmac Tele-Meister

I've used the lollar firebird in the neck. I would say its more like a single coil than a humbucker. Fat and clear. Very nice.

3. spankdplank

spankdplank Tele-Afflicted

Firebird pickups have two alnico bar magnets, one in the center of each bobbin, with the coil wire wound around it. They do not have pole pieces or slugs because the magnet takes up the center of each bobbin. Minihumbuckers are built like a traditional humbucker, with one bar magnet centered underneath the two bobbins, and with slugs on one bobbin and pole screws on the other.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

what spakdplank said.

also, be aware that some (perhaps most?) of the current crop of gibson firebirds are not built vintage style - they have different coil wire and magnets. the true vintage build firebird pup is in a class by itself and will have 42awg wire on its bobbins and a5 bar magnets for each coil. you will want the classic vintage firebird, not the "modern" firebird and definitely not a mini-hummer.

6. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

A mini-humbucker is not built like a full-size.

They have one large coil and a smaller coil next to it with the single bar magnet below that. The poles of the large coil are connected to the magnet by a steel plate or 'comb'.

Minis are crisper and brighter than full-size

7. spankdplank

OK Doctor, substitute built "similar to" for "like" a full size. My point was how they differ from a firebird, not how they differ from a full size.

8. jefrs

Best description I have of the earliest Firebird pickup is that the two coils faced inwards against a central pole. Which is kinda weird, until you realise it is the string interrupting the magnetic field that generates current in the coil(s)

[​IMG]

Pretty sure those are item numbers, needs a 'key', not dimensions.

9. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

i've never heard or seen that configuration for a vintage firebird pup. it don't look kosher to me at all, not for a firebird. back in '63 my bud's '63 firebird III pup's looked like this, and they had The Tone ...

[​IMG]

10. bennyfreedom

bennyfreedom TDPRI Member

Thanks for the info! I have a mini-humbucker in my '79 Les Paul and I love it, but I may have to drop the Loller Firebird in there and see how it sounds.

11. spankdplank

Rob's FB picture is the structure I am familiar with. I had an import toaster looking (but not sounding) pickup that had the same configeration as in Jefr's diagram.

12. jefrs

Well, I don't have a 63 Firebird to take apart but it's not the first time I've heard of inward facing coils on the very earliest ones. I think the idea was to give a better focus on the strings, like a single coil does. Whatever, it did not last long and the more conventional twin alnico cored pickup is very well regarded.

I have in the past built a few decidedly odd pickups but running the coil sideways is not one that springs out as a good idea to me ;)

13. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

14. jefrs

So it is, and it also looks like an rearranged 'air-coil' (also Lawrence)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.