Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fire-Parts-P90-Wang-Caster-Bird

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mgreene, Nov 2, 2017.

1. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    Here are the beginnings of my newest partscaster build.

The body is from Rosser (see Ebay and Facebook). He sells at a very reasonable price with the understanding that some sanding is required. This was a custom order with body chambers for less than $150. See the wooly tearout in the cavities – easily dispatched with a Dremel tool; and the hard router edges on the bouts.

For the neck I am using (and old ESP - MIJ), the neck pocket was about 0.01” too wide, so I made some handplane shavings from maple and glued them in on one side to make a force fit – in the first pic, only friction is holding the neck in.

The neck – this is an old ESP neck I got from the ESP custom shop in NY in the 1980s (Family Man Barrett from Bob Marley was there that day – Heya MON! :) The neck is Rosewood and ebony. They screwed the neck to the body while I was standing there so the holes are not perfectly aligned. I filled the existing Rosser body holes with hardwood dowel (something I suggested on this forum before – so I am saying this to show that I will take my own advice :p

Tip – crush the dowels a little with the serrated teeth on a pair of plyers and liberally apply glue – that way they will go in easy but the moisture in the glue will re-swell the wood making a perfect join.

I used a paper template, as shown, to transfer the hole locations from the neck to the body – this method was reasonably accurate for transferring the existing neck holes to a new body.

The color will be Stewmac 50s Sonic blue.
    2.jpg IMG_20171027_081726.jpg IMG_20171027_081931.jpg 3.jpg

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    fenderchamp, Zepfan, 2blue2 and 5 others like this.

2. Brendan

Brendan Tele-Meister

Feb 21, 2004
    Nice!

That looks a lot better than the Wangcaster....

3. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Are you putting p90's in a humbucker rout?

4. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    Thanks!

I had Rosser do a combined P90 and humbucker route so I could try some of the many old PUs I have laying around. All that will be hidden under the pick guard.

fenderchamp likes this.

5. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    I like it!

What's the plan for the finish?

6. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    Right on man. Love the Jazzmaster trem on there. The two telebirds here are from Rosser bodies. I haven't finished the seafoam green one yet. It came with the string through holes offcenter, so they sent me another body. I ended up doweling the holes and I'm making it a top loader. Might even make it a baritone.

22540144_10214436075439556_5661127633244588339_n.jpg

7. TheZ

TheZ Tele-Meister

Nov 13, 2009
    Northwest USA
    Super cool build! Can't wait to see more.

mgreene likes this.

8. 2blue2

2blue2 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2013
    Island of Oahu
    This is a fun build (sonic blue! jazz bridge, yeah buddy!)
    Makes me want to build a 'Wangy Tele Jazzy Firey Birdy Caster'.
    So yummy! You got me GAS ing now.:rolleyes::D mmm surf green.....

mgreene likes this.

9. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    My other parts caster is just blonde reranch over clear reranch nitro. THis is my favorite guitar - so I favor a thin paint job.

I thought I would try something similar here. I used the leftover reranch blonde as a sealer (4 years old - dried fine). I filled this one because the finish will not be opaque. Paint will be stewmac 50s sonic blue. I am thinking I will just buff this with a fine 3M pad to make a matte relic-like finish.

fenderchamp and DrASATele like this.

10. oheare

oheare TDPRI Member

Sep 29, 2006
    Ottawa
    A baritone Firebird? Very cool, but the dang thing will be like nine feet long! Subscribed, for sure.

Jsil13 likes this.

11. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    Haha. That's a valid point that I hadn't thought about much. They already only fit in my bass cases.

12. oheare

oheare TDPRI Member

Sep 29, 2006
    Ottawa
    I tried a Thunderbird some time ago, and kept ending up playing a tone sharp. It sat really differently, and my Jazz Bass-defined muscle memory didn't know what to do with it. :)

13. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    Here it is, how many subtle custom features can you pick out? There are 6+ :D:

Partscaster 1.jpg

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    Kriticaster likes this.

14. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    The build continues; drawing pickguard:

pg 2.jpg pg 1.jpg

Kriticaster and fenderchamp like this.

15. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Holic Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 17, 2008
    omaha
    Odds are the seafoam will end up playing and sounding the best of the bunch. Love them all thanks for sharing.

16. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    :cry: UPDATE...

Oh dear, Oh dear! Back to the drawing board. I knew making a pickguard would NOT be one of my favorite things. Custom making the routing and template for custom PUs has been a challenge (PIA).

The pickguard material is not a good match for this project - I figured I would try it, knowing that my first attempt would likely be a fail anyway. Neither pu hole is big enough and you can see the blowout on the thin part - I didnt support that part with double sided tape - hopefully careful (s-l-o-w) routing will keep it in tact. I hope that the 3 ply will be less brittle.

pg fail.jpg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017

17. Kriticaster

Kriticaster TDPRI Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Crete, Greece
    Damn that pickguard! But she’s going to look amazing!! Can really see the potential :)
    Love those pickups! What/where are they from?

18. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    Tanks! I had planned to do P-90s but heard these PUs on utube. One guy even says they are the best sounding PUs ever.

They are Mojo PUs from England (As opposed to Mojotone from NC).

This particular one is a humbucking "gold foil" type w/ split-able coils - IIRC he calls it the dual foil. The maker says that another one of his models is his personal favorite - but I like these. Unfortunately - they are as expensive as they are awesome. And a waiting list.

19. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

20. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    You could just get 3 Gold Foils(middle being RWRP) on a 5-way switch and have a parallel/series switch/push-pull for the middle pickup.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.