Finland shaped Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Sotakoira Musti, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Meister

I remember when I was a little boy, my late dad took me and my brother to see Juice Leskinen’s (1950-2006) gig at Kuopio, Finland in the beginning of ’80s. Juice was one of the most popular Finnish songwriters and performers in ’70s and ’80s, and also a poet and novelist. Most vividly I remember Juice’s Tele, which was shaped as Finland and it had Finnish map on top of it. And he really played with it, and if there were another performers on the same night, they’d want to play it too.

The story tells, that Juice liked the idea of being able to see in which part of Finland they currently were while on a tour. Guitar was built by luthier Juha Nuutinen via Juice’s idea. It consists Fender RW neck, some other parts of Tele and the rest from Schecter’s Tele parts. And of course, the Finnish map was taken from a grammar school map.

Juice with he’s Finland Tele, pic copywright Jouko Järvinen
    83CB4472-9B32-4209-BAB5-8DBF0B79CDF3.jpeg

Another photo
    C734B3CC-EF50-4006-96B6-ABD22373CFB3.jpeg

Sorry about bad quality of pictures. Seems hard to find. And lastly, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juice_Leskinen

Do you know were there ever made similar ”country Teles” from your country/similar?

Musti

Edit: As you can see, we have these huge holes in Finland where are no roads or towns, just nothing (except Tele parts) :lol:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  2. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I think it was Gibson that made a USA shaped guitar.

I hate to be unsophisticated .... but ... how is the weather in Finland now?
    I have a friend from Norway and she told me about the darkness in the winter and how cold it would get, when I asked her what do people do she said stay inside and drink. Then she told me in the south where she lived was a lot better than in the northern part of Norway.

Sotakoira Musti likes this.
  3. Gibson

Gibson Friend of Leo's

Juice looks like the kinda guy who'd have fit right in around here :D

4. Sotakoira Musti

Yeah, he was a true artist. And I mean it in every possible way! He did slow down quite lot from '90s and was more engaged in writing. Of course record now and then, but his best period musically was far behind. Too bad TDPRI was't alive in early '80s? :lol:

Musti

Gibson and DaphneBlue like this.
  5. Sotakoira Musti

No worries, I'll reply gladly.

Norwegian weather is quite different from Finland, even though we are neighbours. And that's because of Golf stream, which brings warm water over Atlantic and makes Norways coastline much warmer (and rainier) in winter. In northern and inner part of Norway, we have quite similar weather, ie. very cold in winter. In Lappland (northern part of Finland) it can get as low as -35 degrees celsius, usually in winter it's about -15 or so. We have cold winter, because of Russia. Great "continent" of Russia produces a lot of cold air, and it breezes comes up to Finland, at least eastern part.

And about the darkness: North of polar circle the sun does't rise at all over the horizon for a couple months, called "kaamos" in Finnish. On the contrary, in summer north of the polar circle, the sun doesn't go below horizon for couple of months, so living in Lappland is quite exciting. Complete darkness or sunshine all day long. And something in between.

Here in Helsinki, southern part of Finland, the daylight is about 3-4 hours when it's darkest (guess, I'm so used to it that I don't notice it at all?). And the current weather today in Helsinki is grey skies, slush on the roads. Temperature right now is +3 degrees celsius. So nice and warm early spring day, just about to take the dog out!. Yesterday it poured snow, sleet and rain. And yes, darkness (north or south) makes some people depressed (kaamosmasennus) and some drink heavier, to stay warm, body and/or soul :rolleyes:

Br, Musti

screefer and Bristlehound like this.
  6. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

Texas Tele:

[​IMG]

7. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I need two of these.

8. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

thank you. I live in the San Francisco bay area eastbay , we have what is called a mediterranean climate, we have warm summers
    and cool winters
    The warm season lasts for 4.4 months, from June 8 to October 20, with an average daily high temperature above 71°F. The hottest day of the year is September 11, with an average high of 75°F and low of 58°F.

The cool season lasts for 2.1 months, from December 2 to February 6, with an average daily high temperature below 59°F. The coldest day of the year is January 3, with an average low of 44°F and high of 55°F.

for several years it was warm in the winter months I could go outside with a light jacket and no glove the low for the year was 45* f

what kind of music do you like to listen too and/or play.?

9. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

10. Sotakoira Musti

Wow, thay’s cool!! Where did you get it from or did you make it yourself?

I guess that one isn’t the most comfortabe Tele when playing on a stool :) Or then, if your thigh goes between that large southern spike (what’s that called BTW?) and Big Bend, the Texas Tele is stuck there forever?

Musti

11. MrHamburger

MrHamburger Tele-Holic

That dude kinda reminds me of Riff Raff from Rocky Horror.
    I’m going to check out his music.
    I got interested in Rautalanka through the Surf Guitar 101 forum a few years ago, very cool stuff.
    My Grandfather was from Finland so maybe it’s in my blood.
    Thanks for sharing!

Chunkocaster and Sotakoira Musti like this.
  12. Sotakoira Musti

First, thanks for your SF info. Very informative and intriguing. And the climate sounds very nice and stable, when comparing FIN. Always wanted to go there! Finnair starts nonstop flights there, so maybe some day!

Then about music:

Well, that’s an easy one. If I’m alone, I listen and play 90% Beatles. Actually, I like other bands and genres, even classical, but somehow I just end up doing Beatles.

I’ve got two bands
    1) 100% Beatles
    2) Our own production, melodic rock (in Finnish) or something like that. And for fun, RHCP, Slowhand, CCR, Stones etc ’60s and 70’s rock classics.

Nordic countries are often associated with gloomy heavy related to darkness, depression, booze etc. I don’t see it that way. We have great bands from different genres, but they’re not internationally famous. But our only Eurovision song contest winner is Lordi, a monster heavy band. So, I guess we’re heavy country.

How about you?

Br, Musti

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  13. Sotakoira Musti

Thanks for sharing! As a Finn, I of course find it a bit sweeping (is that correct word?). But it’s only natural to show those things that Finland and Finns are usually known of!

Br, Musti

14. Sotakoira Musti

15. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

My first thought was that I met a lot of Finns in northern Michigan. My next thought was that Michigan would make a whole lot better Tele than Finland. My last thought is that Texas makes a sucky guitar.

16. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Honestly, I just clicked on this thread to see what Finland was shaped like.

17. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Friend of Leo's

Nice Suomicaster

Sconnie and Sotakoira Musti like this.
  18. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Bo Diddly already stole the Wyomingcaster, so that's out.

19. Sotakoira Musti

Michigan is filled with people who have Finnish ancestors. There were wave of immigrants in 1900-1920ish.

You start cutting some timber and then make a Michigan Tele!

Musti

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.