Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Finishing mahogany

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Megadethking851, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Megadethking851

Megadethking851 TDPRI Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Glendale, az
    Hey guys so im going to finish a mahogany back. So should i grain fill first then apply my dye. Or should i dye then grain fill. I watched a video and some guy dyed it, then brushed shellac on then he put his tinted grain filler in, whats the best way to get this finish?

Attached Files:

2. Megadethking851

Sep 18, 2017
    Glendale, az
    I can post the video that i watched too if needed.

3. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    That's the best method - and you need to tint the filler as well. I use lacquer sanding sealer (followed by sanding); dye; tinted Mohawk grain filler; lacquer sanding sealer; then usually toner followed by clear gloss on all Les Paul backs.

The lacquers go on *very* thin as a rule, which should be a piece of cake with a properly sealed and filled piece of mahogany.

Are you spraying with an HVLP? It's much easier to get a Gibson-type look that way. Aerosols work but the finish almost invariably ends up heavier and sometimes requires sanding. With a good HVLP spray job (and many aerosol jobs) it should be able to go straight to buffing.

there are SO many videos, with most being done by amateurs, that I tend to ignore most of them. I've seen too many weird, time-consuming methods presented.

4. Megadethking851

Sep 18, 2017
    Glendale, az
    So if i use lacquer sanding sealer first like u mentioned, the grain filler will still be able to penetrate the grains even after it is sealed. I guess im going to have to do it on scrap mahogany to test. But no i dont have a hvlp i did wanna get one but i heard a 3 gall compressor isnt enough to use one.

5. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Absolutely! Sanding sealer is meant to only partially seal the wood to help control penetration of following materials. It's always used before stains and dyes, or colors can go wildly blotchy (some get lucky without it but it's better to use it). Only a single thin coat (if spraying 3 very light passes make up one coat) is applied and it's sanded smooth before applying grain filler.

Most HVLP's are self-contained units - a compressor and gun type requires a $300 gun and very large compressor to do it well, and small HVLP's are far more cost effective.

How are you applying the color coats and finish? Grain filler sin't a finish and to get the mahogany color will require tinted grain filler, colored lacquer toner and clear lacquer.

6. Megadethking851

Sep 18, 2017
    Glendale, az
    I was going to use a dark red mahogany dye and wipe it on with a mahogany colored grain filler. Do u know by chance where i can find a scrap piece of mahogany that is not finished so i can practice on. I went to rockler.com and i guess theres one in town but i read the reviews and i guess its cleared and finished already.

7. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    I like a stark contrast in my filler for certain effects. To separate the colors, if going for drama, I dye first, then shellac, add colored filler, sand back, lightly shellac so I don't wet and move the filler, then you should be ready for color coats.

Just be careful you don't get the filler too wet it will run and you'll lose it in the finish. Here's my example. The lighting is poor, I hope you can see it. image.jpg

It's hard to see, but that's coral pink timber mate over black dyed mahogany. I'm using timber mate, but I might switch to Mohawk. I have to replenish my stock anyway.

8. Megadethking851

Sep 18, 2017
    Glendale, az
    Do u think a dark brown grain filler would be better than a mahogany grain filler. For a les paul back the pic i posted above.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.