Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

[Finishing] Italians prefer blondes

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Telecaster65, May 26, 2004.

1. Telecaster65

Telecaster65 Tele-Holic

I'm about to start my second tele project. The body will be a swamp ash finished in butterscotch blonde (52 RI style)

The problem I have is that I ReRanch products aren't imported in Italy and I have to make the color by myself.

Fortunately just around my corner I have an automotive paint shop, that already mixed for me nitrocellulose lacquers according my precise specification. They also fill aerosol cans so that you end up with a product very close to the stock ReRanch cans.

Whereas I've succeded into obtain a good lacquer for the neck mixing a dash or two of orange into a clear lacquer, my concern now is how to obtain a reliable butterscotch translucent lacquer. My intention is to fill the bare wood with clear Nitro sand and sealer, cover abt 50% of the grain with translucent lacquer and finish with clear lacquer. The question is: Do I have to mix opaque lacquer with thinner only (which is incline to sag and more difficult to spray) or mixing opaque and clear lacquer, slightly thinned (requires more block sanding but sprying is safer) may works? Yet, there is a mix recipe of which someone is sure? Any experience?

Thanks anyone responds

Fabio

2. TeleTwanger37

TeleTwanger37 Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    linden,penna
    i got some from STEW MAC

I got some stuff from stew mac,i chipped my Custom Butterscotch blond tele they have exstensive finish and touch up supplys cant hurt to give them a call...? good luck

3. JohnnyAtomic

JohnnyAtomic Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2003
    Little Rock, AR
    somewhere i read a recipe for late 50's white blond using 10:1 clear to white. 10 parts clear, to one part white. then use a gold tinted clear over the top. i would think for butterscotch like yours would be about the same proportions, except use your paint instead of white.
    johnny atomic

4. Telecaster65

Telecaster65 Tele-Holic

More than an information! I will try one can of this 10:1 mix. Thanks a lot!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.