Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Finishing Douglas Fir in opaque color - nooob help

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by scottymc, Nov 14, 2017.

1. scottymc

scottymc TDPRI Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Harrisburg, PA
    Been loving pouring through these forums and seeing peoples builds and processes - so good!!

I’m working on my first build - Douglas Fir because it’s a cheap way to get my feet wet :) - and I’m getting ready to finish it now. I plan to do it in a completely opaque finish. Right now, from my research, I’m leaning toward automotive paint to get a custom color, like Mustang Lava Red. However, I’m feeling super confused about the process I’ll need to finish this correctly and nicely. Because I’m wanting to do an opaque finish, what should my process be? Between grain sealers and raisers and fillers and color coats and shellac vs Tru Oil vs poly ... my head is spinning and I’m not sure what I need/ what applies to my build here.

Can someone outline what a good process for a first time build would be and how many coats of what?? I’m feeling pretty lost

2. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Texas
    Sanding sealer, and then just shoot some primer - automotive kind compatible or same brand as the finish coat would be my pick. Sand[/recoat/sand...] the primer coat until that's within a grit or two of where you'll go with the topcoat, i.e., pretty much perfect.

3. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

Oct 17, 2012
    Nelson City TX
    Good advice from still_fiddlin.
    Keep it simple until you feel comfortable taking on nitro lacquers and sunbursts and metal flakes and
    so forth. I'll add that StewMac has videos and finishing schedules for the more sophisticated finishing
    products that they sell.
    Remember to update us and post photos when you can. Good luck with your project!

4. scottymc

scottymc TDPRI Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks! This is helpful. When you say topcoat, in this instance, are you referring to the color coat? Will automotive paint need an additional clear coat on top of the paint (like poly or lacquer or anything?)

5. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Texas
    Yes, I meant the color coat. I wouldn't bother with a clearcoat unless the color coat manufacturer recommends it. Not saying you can't, but I think you'd learn a lot getting to the point where you're happy with a good color coat. And, it'll be easier to relic :).

6. scottymc

scottymc TDPRI Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Harrisburg, PA
    Nice! I’d love to have some easy, natural wear so that’d be great. Thanks for your insight, I’ll report back and let you know how it goes.

Also regarding sanding sealer - any type you’d recommend over another in terms of water-based vs oil-based? Saw somewhere else that someone recommended using epoxy as a sealer... thoughts? This tele does have a couple knots I’ll need to seal

7. newuser1

newuser1 Tele-Meister

Mar 1, 2017
    Toronto

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.