Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

"Finishing" a simulated tweed case with decals

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Ira7, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I wanted a cheap contoured hardshell case for my CAR Thinline, and since this one has burgundy lining, I ordered myself an early birthday present. Will arrive on Wednesday, the actual day I burst forth onto this earth in all my glory:

http://www.rondomusic.com/product8180.html

I want to ugly this thing up with decals, kind of like an around-the-world old suitcase or the case of a player who actually DOES tour. Just for looks; not trying to fool anyone. (Once they hear me play, they'll know I never toured.)

What kind of stuff do you think will hold onto this material, albeit not hold perfectly for years and years? Vinyl adhesive decals only? Or would waterslide work at all?

I have a small waterslide that I can test when it gets here, but I figured I would ask here first.

2. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    while I won't pretend to understand your motivation I have to ask, why not just buy a used case?

3. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Where am I gonna find a used contoured Tele case with burgundy lining? Plus, I don't want one that's ragtag ratty looking. I just want to decal her up.

4. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Putting stickers on cases has always been a challenge for me because many cases are textured and stickers don't stay on very long. BUT, I've found that if I place them on the case then heat them with a hair dryer - get them nice and hot - they tend to adhere quite nicely.

I wanted to be the first to actually offer you something here that may actually help.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    Ira7 likes this.

5. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Hah! Thanks!

I can always do a test on the back first.

It's just that this isn't tolex type like most cases, or maybe it really is. This is just SIMULATED tweed, so I can now think, "Maybe it's just freaking plastic, right?"

If that's the case, waterslide might work, and if it DOES work, instead of fuglying it up, maybe I'll do cool with a design I like.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

6. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    try musicgoround. didn't realize the interior color was so important.

7. titan uranus

titan uranus Tele-Meister

Sep 22, 2017
    36.395884, -78.710617
    THIS is what happens when you have a daughter and granddaughter, both with a wicked sense of humor and a grocery bag full of stickers:

WARNING: IF YOU ARE EASILY UPSET, HIT THE "BACK" BUTTON ON YOUR BROWSER NOW!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My daughter wants my Heritage, but you can possibly guess what she is getting... and it did keep the two of them out of trouble for a couple of hours.

Ira7 likes this.

8. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    Well nobody will mistakenly pick up your guitar because he also has his guitar in a black case.
    you can punch him straight away. ;)

some nice stickers here:
    https://www.abebooks.com/ephemera/v...m_sp=home-_-tile_2_6_R_header-_-luggagelabels

9. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany

10. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    They have to start working on the sides!

11. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    I would think Rubber cement or contact adhesive would adhere two dissimilar things well. Fill the voids in the fabric. My turn signal is held in with contact cement currently. The stuff holds. lol

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.