Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Finishing a Epi Les paul neck.

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by jadedsoul, Sep 12, 2017.

1. jadedsoul

jadedsoul Tele-Holic

Mar 26, 2013
    TINY ENGLAND
    Hi guys so i fixed the busted headstock and iv sanded most of the poly of just the bottom of the neck where it joins the body still is shiny and see through cherry. its the cherry burst. its like nitro look see through grain but stained red. due to the fix and the many bits i had to stick back together to get it all back right theres lines so i have to use an opaque color to hide all the lines and new wood. so i hear Epis are covered in poly .i cant even find any poly clear in a rattle can for painting guitars.
    questions..
    1 can i go over the poly with 2k clear or will they react to each other?
    2. should i sand all the bottom and the neck as 1 and repaint it a diff opaque color?
    3. i dont have any spray equipment so its all gona have to be out of rattle Cans
    and i had pro finish from cans before.
    4anybody know where i can get poly in a can in the correct colors?
    can i put true oil on over a color paint. if possible what the best type of color. i was using heritage but thats nitro.
    I could really just color the neck similar to the body then clear it. true oil ok to use ? or should i use 2k in a can. hardner at the bottom of can smack pin to mix both components together. last stuff i used was good. but will it corrupt with poly ?whats the best method chaps.
    cheers guys. dying to get this baby fixed and tuned to pitch.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017

2. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    What is "2K"? Do you have a link? I've never heard of it over hear but may be able to help (many years in the paint business)

3. Silverface

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Sorry - and what do you mean? Seems like you're typing kind of fast and running things together. I think. I'm trying to decipher your questions, really!

4. jadedsoul

jadedsoul Tele-Holic

Mar 26, 2013
    TINY ENGLAND
    silver..2k is used in auto world. but you can buy it in rattle cans. the can has a nozzle on top and a pin on the bottom. you smack the pin on a wall and it breaks what ever is inside releasing the hardener then you shake well to mix. sorry about my English i have bad dyslexia. its a pain in the butt. Its a great clear and is set in a few hours in a warm room. wet and dry paper on a block to remove orange peel and boom polish that 2k out to a sweet shine. but i wonder will it react with the polyurethane? what other options do i have. what about painting it opaque similar to the body color then using true oil over the auto paint will that work ? so the process woud be . sand. prime, paint color, let dry, then true oil it. then iv got to do the new faceplate with water slide decals back to original look. I just did a Serial number check turns out mine was made in Qingdao Plant China 07 and is a 1954 copie & profile. sweet... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Colormatic...=1505262648&sr=1-10&keywords=2K+Clear+Lacquer

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017

5. Silverface

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    I'd forget Truoil if it already has a polyurethane on it. It doesn't provide much film-forming and is a bit better if it can penetrate.

It sounds like 2k is simply a catalyzed polyurethane. That is a very hard finish - you would not apply anything on top of it. It should be the topcoat if used at all.

As far as compatibility you should email or call the manufacturer - that's your best bet. Mixing products from different manufacturers often sounds technically fine and then ends up causing problems. They'll have a tech support department that can answer that.

Everything you are talking about except the truoil is a polyurethane type - so if you use a color stick wth a polyurethane. Just make sure the types are compatible - the best way is to use products from the same manufacturer so you can get solid technical answers all in one place.

6. jadedsoul

jadedsoul Tele-Holic

Mar 26, 2013
    TINY ENGLAND
    ok all the poly is now of the neck im down to the sealer..so ill now take the guitar to uk;s biggest auto place halfords. they have a scanner that can scan a color and then reproduce that exact color ill get the color made....also iv sprayed nitro on poly before. not a problem. my Rg here is covered in heritage cherry. its not far of. i was thinking a beige primer and then i found a great match called red wine https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A2367S4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1 that looks spot on... gawd..well considering i got a brand new lp all with a bust headstock for 20 pounds i can afford to make 1 balls up.... i want it back to stock the best bet would be to scalf join in a new headstock end with 6 inch on the bottom then if the grain is running the same i could totally sand back to the wood. re stain and then clear coat it...grrrr.. Then i had a brain wave, gold top it but to get a totally pro look with cans is tuff... doable but tuff. then i could spray the bottom of the body and the neck say black..so many options and decisions to get this right. iv always liked a gold top and a tobacco burst. im not even so keen on cherry burst but its brand spanking new. i watched will on youtube and his turned out great. i just dont have the luxury of a shed and power tools...o well thanks for your help silver... ill sleep on it..

7. jadedsoul

jadedsoul Tele-Holic

Mar 26, 2013
    TINY ENGLAND
    has anybody ever used this poly varnish in a can for a guitar ? im just wondering if its gona dry tuff enough. https://www.sprayster.com/product/r...thane-clear-varnish-aerosol-spray-paint-matt/ Also iv just found a red ish colour primer. so im thinking get the red primer and use my wood stain pens to fake a grain up the neck like the body. the body is a series of dark and mahogany vertical stripes. if i could fake that look then use a wine nitro over the top of the primer it may look the part. its a risk in money. its not very much money but still..anyway ill keep yall updated with the look. ill show you what i have so far. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] This is where iv had to add a wooden patch and i carved in a volute to tuffen it. it should take a good smack now for it to break again. another thought its to paint the whole of the back and the neck a colour of my choosing. ill show you some colors id like to do it. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] so there's a selection i would like to do it maybe one of these. Im not a massive fan of the cherry burst anyway. the top has some nice figuring but so what... i want it to look the cat's pajamas. any body got any thoughts on the job at hand. its gona be a full strip down sand fine on the poly for key for the primer. prime. 2000 wet and dry to glass no marks or dimples or holes. then spray the color then 2k clear it.... the only problem i have is im cream binding and plastics.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017

8. jadedsoul

jadedsoul Tele-Holic

Mar 26, 2013
    TINY ENGLAND
    ok, so i stained it all back to the correct color problem was that wood i glued in was oak with big ass rings grain pattern. totally opposite of the mahogany so i cut it out and have re-glued on some mahogany hopefully with the grain running in the right way. its not something i really wanted to do but if yor gona do a job, you do it right. right. so iv got to re carve that big block of wood. that mahogany seems to get in my mouth as im sanding and seems to make me feel strange. im hyper sensitive. keep getting a horrid taste in my mouth when im rippin that wood off. gona get some face masks tomorrow, i just ordered my LES PAUL MODEL and EPIPHONE decals from The Guitar Decals Staff
    http://www.guitar-decals.com. now i know there just vinyl cut on a cutter machine but for all the work of making my own eps FILES OR VECTOR i thought sod it and payed. I was not paying 12 pounds for 1 waterslide though. So i may have to cut down to a layer on the new faceplate and sink then in black epoxy. ill have to wait and see how thick they are. if there not to bad i may just clear over them. we shall see... so im still rolling. headstock feels solid at the moment and seems sturdy. im sure that will start to diminish as i carve to the correct thickness. ill show you some pics tomorrow. cant work with this wood in the house. anybody else affected by some woods???

9. Silverface

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Many are affected, especially if you're sanding in to woods that had any sealers/coatings on them.

If by "masks" you mean typical white or blue dust masks they may not do a thing. Sanding and coatings work - unless done outside or with huge amounts of commercial-type ventilation - should be done only with canister type respirators with the right types of filters - and sold by/fitted at a professional paint supplier that is capable of fitting them. Many don't fit right off the shelf and fitting normally cost nothing (respirators run about $30-60).

I wouldn't do it any other way if you had the type of reaction you described.

10. Silverface

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    FWIW you've been lucky with short-term adhesion. Lacquer gets NO chemical grip on polyurethane and very little mechanical adhesion. It might work for a while but long-term it's a bad idea. They are not compatible in that order.

11. jadedsoul

jadedsoul Tele-Holic

Mar 26, 2013
    TINY ENGLAND
    my Rg is fine..totally stuck and melted in. can not be picked of..maybe the Rg is coated in sommat else ? who knows..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.