Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Finish repair on MIJ neck

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by OpenG Capo4, Apr 4, 2017.

1. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

Aug 4, 2010
    Athens, GA
    I have what I think is a MIJ vintage reissue jazzmaster. It has the old style heel adjust truss rod and a 7.25" radius board. Doing a refret and the finish on the edge of the rosewood is chipping off, and some of it's spread onto the maple.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd like to repair the finish if it's possible. Not sure whether it's nitro or some sort of poly. I am assuming nitro because the rest of the guitar has all the "vintage" stuff like the tight radius and the truss rod. I have heard I can take some of the chipped off pieces of finish and see if they'll melt under acetone to tell if it's nitro. I'd appreciate any other help I could get. Not sure what to do if it's some sort of poly.

2. harold h

harold h Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2004
    Thin brush on superglue and then buff it with 800 or 1000 grit wet paper.

Dismalhead likes this.

3. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

Aug 4, 2010
    Athens, GA
    Tried the acetone test, it's definitely not nitro. Looks like I probably will be using superglue.

Dismalhead likes this.

4. jadedsoul

jadedsoul Tele-Holic

Mar 26, 2013
    TINY ENGLAND
    super glue can be done to perfection and blends perfectly into 2k clear. it takes time and always use a flat sanding block or you will never get it right and it will look lumpy like yours kind of does. ill give your CA job a 7 out of 10. iv done it in the past and you cant see it. after your done with 2000 use a proper fine cutting cream on a sponge. invisible after a good polish. great job on the neck fix... Im in that zone at the mo.. i wonder if i could remove a neck out of my busted headstock Lp in a clean manner and glue in a new one. id have to drill from the back i guess for the steam holes. will on youtube used a cutting blade and just chopped his out and made a new one. hmmmm

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.