Finish Opinions

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by tomajoha, May 25, 2019.

1. tomajoha

tomajoha NEW MEMBER!

Im trying to ascertain is this ‘66 has an original finish, blacklighting an Olympic White seems harder then a darker colour, any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

It looks original to my untrained eye but I don't really know what i'm looking at using the blacklight other than it doesn't appear to have been owned by a teenaged boy recently.

3. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker Tele-Holic

Chunkocaster likes this.
  4. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker Tele-Holic

I think that's ultraviolet lol, I don't think it's the same as "black light"

Chunkocaster likes this.
  5. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

I don't have experience with '60's olympic white but it looks real bright to me in the first photo. I would have thought it would be more yellowed. That is a great photo and around the bridge plate it looks like a bigsby single coil plate outline can be seen.but I don't see any screw holes for the arm mount behind it. Am I wrong?

I have a '75 Thinline in olympic white and to me it looks a little more yellowed than yours. Of course mine is poly and that one shouldn't be.

For comparison:

75_thinline.jpg

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  6. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Usually there is a greenish glow on old nitro

7. tomajoha

tomajoha NEW MEMBER!

The fade around the bridge plate is where the ashcover has been on. There are areas on yellow but agreed it’s not as yellowed as your 70’s

8. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

Doh, I didn't think about the cover, sorry.

9. asquinet

asquinet TDPRI Member

Have you a chance to remove the pickguard and see the difference of finish between under and out pickguard? This could be helps....

10. Danman

Danman Tele-Meister

A blacklight is Ultraviolet light. It's the same thing.

11. Danman

Danman Tele-Meister

I would have to see it up close to be sure, and it's hard to photograph, but I think the blacklighting looks ok. I don't think the Telecaster white and blonde show up as a greenish glow like other colors or clear nitro do. But the worn areas come out purple like it does here. And I think the neck could be ok as it appears to have a greenish hue to it.
    But again, I would have to see it up close to be sure. And it would help if you had pictures of the neck pocket, control area and the area under the pick guard.

12. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

The wear and chip patterns make me think it is original. Most home refinish jobs don't have that tough and professional look to the finish. I realize that this is not very scientific or conclusive, but something about that just says "original" to me. The wear pattern at the forearm shows that the layers are level, smooth and consistent. In most refinish work the wood has its divots and the layers are not that even. If it is a refinish it is a professional refinish.

13. asquinet

asquinet TDPRI Member

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.