Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

finger-jointed pine cabinets for less than $20

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by LudwigvonBirk, Nov 9, 2017.

1. LudwigvonBirk

LudwigvonBirk Tele-Holic

Aug 26, 2017
    Madison

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

2. sammy123

sammy123 Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Jul 25, 2011
    MKE
    This is great. I'm definately going to use some of these!

3. arcticbreaze

arcticbreaze Tele-Meister

Aug 2, 2014
    Oamaru NZ
    just ordered 2 in cypress fir box jointed, be an interesting experiment

4. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    That’s awesome! I’m looking for a proper small speaker cabinet to go with my Tiny Terror (amp head) Clone and this will be more cost effective and just better than me going to Rona. Thanks for the link!

5. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Meister

May 4, 2015
    Leipzig
    What a great idea, I'keep that in mind. But won't you get a constant hum out of it? :)

6. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    Nah, you'd just need a little special gear to do your hum-busting...

smoke.jpg

In exchange, you could really find your inner Billy Gibbons (or is it Jerry Garcia)?

beard.jpg

7. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    On the way...

screencapture-innisfilcreekhoney-orders-R161460919-token-dc3df0b611841f08-1510428119784.png

bender66 likes this.

8. LudwigvonBirk

LudwigvonBirk Tele-Holic

Aug 26, 2017
    Madison
    Cool. Post pics when you get it ^ please.

From what I've seen, most of these mail-order hives are made with nice-enough but not "cello grade" wood. A full hive is really heavy (100 pounds or more sometimes), so structural integrity is a must. However cosmetics are not the most important thing, and most hives are painted as you've probably seen.

9. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I’ll post some photos once it arrives. It’s a flat pack, unassembled 4 pieces with finger joints. It’s perfect timing too because I need to build a speaker cab.

bender66 and trouserpress like this.

10. Kriticaster

Kriticaster Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2017
    Crete, Greece
    This looks like a really good option! Think I’ll look into local availability... thou the rest of the amp parts may be harder to find than the box...

telemnemonics likes this.

11. arcticbreaze

Aug 2, 2014
    Oamaru NZ
    well my two cypress fir boxs arrived today they are even dove tail joints for twenty bucks each thats fabulous now WHAT to put in em

12. arcticbreaze

Aug 2, 2014
    Oamaru NZ
    anyone know where to get honey comb grill cloth?

13. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    awasson likes this.

14. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Well, mine arrived this afternoon with the mail. It took a little extra time because their ecommerce system charged me the wrong price.

It wasn’t their fault, it’s their commerce system. I’m a developer so I absolutely get it and have no ill feeling towards them. It’s got to be super frustrating when the shipping calculator screws up the shipping like that. Anyway, I was happy to pay the difference but it took a few days to get that straightened out and that’s why it only arrived today.

I’ll take some photos tomorrow. It will easily house a pair of 10’s on angle or a single 12”. Im leaning towards a good single 12”. I just need to decide which one.

EDIT: I knocked it together and the pieces fit like a glove. I’m going to glue and clamp it. Then I’ll figure out how I’ll finish it. Maybe just router the edges and corners and then give it a clear poly finish or something.

King Fan likes this.

15. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    Looking forward to pics...

16. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Ok, some quick photos...

I've got to get to the hardware store and pickup some plywood, fasteners and other misc parts to put this into action but I cleaned up the joints with an exacto, brusheed out any milling debris and knocked it together. I think when it comes to putting it together for real, I'll use my pin nailer and glue the joints. Then I'll add some straps to the front and back so I can install the front baffle and a two piece rear so I can run it half open or fully closed.

The milling they added for handles is excellent for bee keeping but not so much for a speaker cabinet so I think I'll carve some wood to fill them, add some drywall mud and use tolex as a covering.

IMG_3671.jpg IMG_3672.jpg IMG_3670.jpg

King Fan likes this.

17. Hammerdog

Hammerdog Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Texas
    Looks good!! I've built a few amp cabs using the half blind dove tails.
    Pack'em with wood glue and clamp over night, strongest joint ever.

Keep us posted. Thanks.

awasson likes this.

18. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Holic Vendor Member

May 14, 2011
    SW Minnesota
    How flat were the parts when they showed up and how were they packed? I’ve cut parts, cut the dovetails, then shelved the project for a couple days only to come back to some nasty cupped boards.

telemnemonics likes this.

19. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    They arrived pretty much dead flat and the weather up here is pretty damp, so I was happy about that. I suspect this is kiln dried material. I don’t know for sure.

They shipped it in a square box with some loose packing and had the wood just placed in, on edge corner to corner, bisecting the box. No strapping or anything but it seemed to be just fine on arrival.

20. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Cant you just turn the "handles" to the inside of the box?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.