Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Finally - Played A 5E3 Recently

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by unixfish, May 16, 2018.

1. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    I saw a friend of mine recently with a healthy amp collection. As well as the Bandmaster with the 3-15 Kustom padded cabinet, we tried some more things out:
    • Blues Jr - boxy. Hooked it up to a 2x12 cabinet - still boxy! Must be the circuit.
    • Champion 600. Not a bad little amp! Speaker breaks up too soon. We hooked it to the 2x12, and wow! That is a great combo.
    • ...aaaand the 5E3. Now I see what all the fuss is about.
    I almost - almost! - did the Sweetwater "build your own amp" class where you spend two days building a 5E3 clone with assistance. If it were not my daughter's birthday and Mother's day weekend, I probably would have. Now I regret not being able to go.

I usually look at amps, and think "it need a mids knob, it needs this, it needs that, it..." Now I get it - less BS, better sound. It just took me a while to get to this point.

I am seriously considering a Mojotone or TubeTone or Weber kit now.

2. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    ... sounds like it'll happen!.

I had to get myself a 5e3 after watching the Crema Wheat demo with a CS Nocaster by Greg V... I think I've watched that about 50 times. Still love it.

Decided to get someone to build me one. I'm a bit short of amp space so i got a head made and I use whichever cab I fancy. I currently have it resting on top of my VoxAC30 and use the 2 celestion Blues in that combo. Sweet..

Here's the thread.

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/nad-ha...-finished-in-natural-ash-lots-of-pics.629177/

3. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2011
    Minnesota USA

4. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    Good on ya. You nailed it, less BS, better sound. Basic 5e3 kit thoughts:

1. PT choice is the sneaky item that seems to make or break 5e3 kit builds. Lots of good threads discuss a good target B+ and possible PTs (spoiler alert -- IMHO you want an HT voltage around 330-0-330). Just be aware that more than one kit and more than one PT supplier will sell you a '5e3' PT that puts out excess B+ voltage, which has sent many builders down a rabbit hole.

2. You'll be aware of Robrob's amazing 5e3 pages. Somewhere I think he says he'd build 'stock' first but with a look-ahead to possible mods. In the 'less BS' school of 5e3 building, I'm thinking you won't want a ton of mods -- but it's still good to see if any of his goodies might be desirable to plan as possible add-ons (with the obvious requirement you want the ability to run the amp stock with a switch or two).

3. 5e3 speakers are the other topic that consumes billions of forum pixels. So many choices. You know amps, IIRC, so let me just say I see many 5e3 speaker threads end up with a popular champion -- the 12a125a.

5. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Vancouver, BC
    Ah, nostalgia; a Mission 5E3 was my very first DIY amp! I built it in 2003 and its sound only gets better to my ear over time.
    Nice thing with a 'home brew' amp is you can tweak to your desire. Build stock and then consider one mod at a time to see the net effect (I'd do the diode mod during the build as preventive measure). A Weber 12A125 is my favourite speaker in it.

ce24 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.