Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Finally getting to my 1962 Vibrolux. Time for a service.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by keithb7, Feb 25, 2017.

1. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Canada
    Thanks folks for the kind words. I do like cranking my amps up. I’m not afraid to but my ears don’t like it anymore!

1964 C12N.
    I count 10 rings @theprofessor

This one is my spare. It lives in a box way above the highwater mark in my basement.

9718CC4D-24A3-4664-925D-5723BCF4C5D6.jpeg

828C636F-CCB6-4572-B584-0DE55FC283D3.jpeg

2. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Thanks, Keith! It sounds fantastic! I know you have loads of great amps, but don't ever do anything dumb and get rid of that Vibrolux, ok?

3. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Canada
    Maybe I should clarify "this one is a spare".

This speaker shown is a spare, that I store. The amp is used regularly and not going anywhere.

4. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I've been putting the new caps in the old housings, leaving the doghouse cover off and installing a mirror so I can see them. :lol:

Axis29 likes this.

5. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Holic

May 10, 2007
    Laurentians, Quebec
    Sounds just great! It has to be gratifying to put all the time of hunting down and restoring your amps and have them turn out so well.

keithb7 likes this.

6. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Canada
    @NashvilleDeluxe it is rewarding. This Vibrolux was a fun one to track down and acquire. It involved a trip to Phoenix where I bought 72 Princeton Reverb. The seller of the Vibrolux agreed to take it in trade. Got the PR back to Canada in my luggage. Then drove about 1.5 hr one way to make the straight accross trade. I won’t complain. Totally worth the effort to land this Vibrolux. My first and only vintage Brown Fender. Its a gooder and a keeper.

Axis29 likes this.

7. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Holic

May 10, 2007
    Laurentians, Quebec
    Quite literally a "Tone Quest!" You clearly have more time and money than I do. I just point and click my cursor, and Tone Kings appear at my front door :D

8. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Canada
    Don't mix up "Time & Money" with "Cheap, & Should Be Doing Other Responsible Things".

I did not go to Phoenix to buy a PR. I was going there anyway. By chance locally this Vibrolux popped up for sale. I contacted seller and inquired about a trade. The trade idea I thought of just before I was headed away on a week vacation. So I scoured Phoenix Craigslist ads from up here in Canada. Knowing I was going to Az soon. I was scrambling to find something the Vibrolux seller up here in my area, might accept in trade. He agreed on the PR I presented. I literally just found it on Phoenix Craigs. We agreed on a trade deal and it came together just before I left for a week vacation. I got to Phoenix. Met the PR seller at his house, cash in hand. Pulled the chassis. Confirmed the goods and bought it. Threw it in my luggage. Got home and promptly took it to the seller of the Vibrolux. Did the trade and here it sits in my home still today. the fact that the PR in Phoenix was all original and is very good shape was pure luck. This deal could have fallen apart in so many ways.

Sadly, I will do a lot to land a vintage amp. Except throw a ton of cash at one. LOL.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Axis29, NashvilleDeluxe and King Fan like this.

9. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.