Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Finally getting to my 1962 Vibrolux. Time for a service.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by keithb7, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Bigger iron must surely mean better!

2. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Canada
    The reason for the iron change is, someone had modded to amp to a Solid State Diode Rectifier. The mod required a change in the power transformer. The heavier, bigger iron seen in the pic is actually the stock sized tranny. I am putting it back to stock.

3. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    The mod from tube to solid state rectifier doesn't require a PT swap. Going the other way is different because you need the filiment voltage. (even that can be done with a small axillary tranny)
    My guess is who ever worked on it needed a PT, had that one laying around and made it work.

4. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Canada
    New Classictone PT is installed. All e-caps replaced. Pots cleaned. Bias set at 65% plate dissipation with 30K bias resistor. New grounded power plug. Ground switch removed from the circuit. Medium strength loctite on the nut threads securing grounding wire, held in place by the PT mount. New TAD 6L6GC-STR tubes. Found a vintage USA built Sylvania GZ34 in my stash of spare tubes. I used an octal tube socket that I pulled out of a 1976 Fender Twin repair job. It's not a collector piece, it's not perfect, but it's very clean and it sounds very good.

Another great Sunday in the man cave bringing this one back to life.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017

5. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Canada
    I finally got a chance to crank my 1962 6G11 Vibrolux today. Holy crap. Holy crap.
    I hear great things about the 6G3 Deluxe, if it sounds anything like this 6G11, oh man.
    The brownies are killer. Cranked to max, bass on zero with an ES-335. Wow. Just wow. Very nice overdriven dirt. I am running
    TAD 6L6 STR power tubes and a 1964 C12N speaker. Original circuit except PT, electrolytics and tubes.
    I'm having trouble comprehending what I am hearing from this amp. This tone can't be coming from this amp.
    I need go calm down and try this again later.

lewis and dannyh like this.

6. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Ok, Keith. You have an assignment. Go put on your camera and give us some audio/video clips!

7. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Canada
    Ok, finally got a sound demo of the 1962 Vibrolux with my USA Tele.
    Finally got someone else to demo it for me. I am sick of every amp sounding like the same old me. LOL.

lewis and t guitar floyd like this.

8. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    That sounds absolutely fantastic! Thanks for posting. I think I may like the sound of that better than a BF or SF Vibrolux Reverb, and I LOVE on-board reverb. But those brown amps are magnificent; they have a tonality and harmonic quality that seems like it doesn't even need reverb (though I realize you have some room reverb going on, and perhaps some post-production stuff as well).

9. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    Thanks, Keith. That does sound amazing!

10. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2013
    NW USA
    Beats the Princeton Reverb that you traded for this amp. Jumping the channels works better in my experience with the 6G amps that have two sets of channel inputs-especially with Fender guitars. The normal input combined with the bright input gives a bit more girth to a Strat or Tele. The two channels are not out of phase like the Fender Reverb amps. The 6G3 Deluxe will yield more overdrive than your amp, but the 6G9A Tremolux/6G11A Vibrolux just make any guitar sound great. One of the best circuits ever devised by the Fullerton Amp Lab.

11. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

Mar 1, 2011
    Beltway, USA
    Keith, I seemed to have misplaced your address. Will you please resend it? ;>)

12. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Canada
    Are you shipping me an amp for repair? Or as a gift? :) I will gladly repair or accept amps as gifts.
    Has anyone here ever built a 6F11 Vibrolux clone? I bet it'd be killer.

FYI the reverb in my amp vids generally come from a TC Helicon Hall Of Fame Reverb. It is an excellent pedal and I prefer a little reverb on almost all my amps, most of the time. The HOF gives me lots of options. The speaker in the clip of this amp is a 1964 Jensen C12N.

13. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

Mar 1, 2011
    Beltway, USA
    No, just trying preventing an iron overdose. Keep up the posts.I enjoy them and it's more economical to live vicariously through you.

14. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Canada
    Got some time in the basement with my Vibrolux amp today. Here I take it right up to 10. I hear some tweed in there. Especially the normal channel.

15. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    One of my favorite amps of all time! Wish I hadn't sold my last one.

keithb7 likes this.

16. King Fan

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    Great stuff Keith. Thanks. I also hear some tweed in there, especially as you twiddle the dials towards 6:00 -- but overall I'd say some very very brown tweed. :) The all-5s setting sounds a lot like my 6G2 with its 'Derek Trucks' ceramic speaker (love your speaker even more) and so does the trem. When you turn up in the middle I get some very Knopfler vibes (no better vibes out there IMHO).

My .02: Overall, your demo should be in the dictionary under 'brown sound.'

keithb7 likes this.

17. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    Isn't that what Mark Knopfler used on a bunch of stuff?

keithb7 likes this.

18. King Fan

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    keithb7 likes this.

19. peteb

peteb Friend of Leo's

Apr 25, 2003
    Cascadia
    Sounds great!

I think those kind of amps really shine cranking out the open chords and stuff based around the open chords

keithb7 likes this.

20. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Keith, that sounds tremendous! Congratulations! I love those 60's C12N's. Do you know if yours has the multi-ribbed cone (21 ribs) or if it has the 10-rib-cone? I have a '66 with the original cone and 21 ribs. I just picked up a '68 with 10 ribs, but it's getting re-coned with the multi-ribbed cone like the other one, because it had voice coil rub.

At any rate, @King Fan is right. That's the "brown sound." I think it really excels as you turn up the volume. When you first put it up to 8 and thereafter, I thought: "Now that sounds righteous!" Enjoy, and rock it out! I know you're not afraid to turn your amps up and ride them hard.

keithb7 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.