Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Finally ditching caffeine

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Mar 8, 2018.

1. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2014
    Crook County IL
    Not worse thing you can do. I use pre workout drinks regularly. I stick to 200mg doses at most. Probably should give it up though.

2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Good luck to you TGT on the caffeine! I've been trying to moderate it down to a couple of cups of decaf a day. The events of last night and today though have found me overloading on the stuff, I broke out, and drank five cups of some pure 100% Columbian that Juan Valdez personally brought down from the mountain on his little burro just for me. Juan must lead a hard life shuttling coffee all day long every day, not to mention his little burro his ever trustworthy companion.

TheGoodTexan and Bruxist like this.

3. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    8 oz to wake up, 1 espresso at 1 pm

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    When you refer to "three or four coffees every morning", are you referring to cups of black coffee or something else?

5. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    It’s a tumbler. Probably 16 ounces each.

6. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    I did that about 20 years ago...mostly because I had to after spending months hiking without any. I maintanined that abstinence ever since except for an occasional cup of coffee or a rare soda. Funny thing about caffeine, it can be as hard to kick as alcohol and the first time you have that cup of joe, the difficulty starts all over again.

I really don't think a couple of cups of coffee is bad for you at all...heck the Inca tribe thought it was a drink for the Gods. The problem erupts from those energy drinks and the need to keep increasing the amount to get the same effects. My last job consisted of 13 hour shifts, 6 days per week. I don't think people even brought a lunch any more, just 4-6 cans of those energy drinks. In the 12 years that I worked there, we averaged 3 heart attacks per year in a 100 person department. That may not be statistically large, but when you understand that the average age was 34 it paints a different picture.

One thing you will notice is that without caffeine, your body does the job with adrenaline. I worked that same horrible schedule and ran a small business at night, so I never got more than 4 hours of sleep and sometimes maybe no sleep at all yet I never had any trouble staying awake without any caffeine products. Can't say any of that was healthy, but my point being that the body does not need it.

Best of luck to you, it is a wise decision.

7. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier...

8. Obsessed

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    16 oz. of black coffee?

9. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Sorry, yes.

Obsessed likes this.

10. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 15, 2012
    Central PA
    I admire your strength. I must admit, I am a bit jealous.

-a fellow caffeine addict.

11. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

I've pretty much cut it out from my life. I make exceptions when I need to get up early and have a long day of driving ahead of me. Then I'll have some coffee.

Nice thing is if you're not used to caffeine it'll effect you better than when you have a tolerance built up.

I remember when I was working as a breakfast cook, had to be at work at 5 am (no later). We'd drink Jolt cola (all the sugar and twice the caffeine) like it was water. Also washing down mini thins (ephedrine like they were candy).

Also used to just about live one Mountain Dew (the original energy drink).

When I was bartending and could walk to work, I'd make a couple cups of espresso at home (Braun maker I bought at a Salvation Army right after Christmas, missing a couple small pieces- confirmed I could get them from Germany before I bought it).

Speaking of Jolt, we used to make Rocket Fuel (151 and colas). Those things would light you up!

12. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Oct 11, 2016

Due to my potential kidney disease (I should know next Wednesday) I have been off everything except water for nearly a month! I have quit smoking completely and have adopted a 100% ketogenic diet due to the discovery of a fatty liver.

So I am trying to at least reverse the liver...the kidneys there's no fixing if it is disease related...

And guess what... I feel FANTASTIC!!!!

Cutting things out of you're body seems to be extremely beneficial.

13. Obsessed

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Yup, that is a lot of coffee, and I thought I was a hard core coffee drinker. Good for you to cut back.

TheGoodTexan likes this.

14. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Caffeine free - My sleep is better, no mood swings, I feel relaxed almost all the time, go long enough and natural energy returns. It's surprising and seemingly contradictory how caffeine (and theophylline, theobromine, etc) robs a person of their energy. It's a total adrenal drain. It exhausts the adrenals.

The most conspicuous aspect of the withdrawal is in the first 10 to 30 days, approximately. If a person uses it heavily and for long enough, over as long as a year, other symptoms occur.

All that to say, you are likely going to see continued benefits slowly develop over an extended period of time.

TheGoodTexan likes this.

15. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    A double espresso, sometimes two, when I get up. No other types of caffeine.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.