Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Finally ditching caffeine

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Mar 8, 2018.

1. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Holic

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    I love my coffee but I'm finding that my really dangerous addiction is carbohydrates. You can stop smoking and after a while never feel the need to smoke. Same with drinking alcohol. I guess you can stop coffee and if you never go back to it you can stay off it. You can live without smoking or drinking. You can't live without eating and carbohydrates are in everything. I'm not sure I can manage that on my own and I don't know where to turn.

Bruxist and troy2003 like this.

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I'll just leave this here ;)

[​IMG]

brown2bob, 8barlouie, tery and 3 others like this.

3. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    2 mugs (who drinks cups ?) in the morning, black chai tea after dinner.

I used to do 2 mugs of coffee after dinner but tea is cheaper than coffee so , I switched for the cost not the effect.

Speaking of effect, tea is so caffeine-weak compared to coffee.

Even the hardcore black teas.

I nod much earlier at night...

4. scottser

scottser Tele-Holic

Mar 6, 2009
    dublin
    1 decent mug of coffee every morning with breakfast. only 1. but if you deny me it i will chew your face off.

8barlouie likes this.

5. Larmo63

Larmo63 Tele-Holic

Feb 1, 2018
    San Clemente, Ca
    I make French press coffee every morning, my only vice.

I never smoked, nor did too many drugs. I've never spent a day in a hospital, I've never had a prescription other than for dental extraction. I recently gave up alcohol, and I don't miss it. I guess I'll live a long clean life, but that sounds boring now that I think about it.

6. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I'll admit to having the same thoughts. And this from one who has had the tightening of the chest sensation, that did indeed turn out to be a heart attack, and who's had bypass surgery, as I said above. I've lost quite a few family members and friends to cancer, and if given a choice, I'll take a heart attack over cancer any day.

And BTW, my heart attack wasn't painful. It was a noticeable sensation, but not painful. Even if I were to have a painful heart attack, that'd still be preferable to a slow, excruciating wasting away. Pain? What's that? As the Dread Pirate Roberts (Westley) said in The Princess Bride, "Life IS pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something." :twisted:

"Drink 'em if ya got 'em." :lol::lol::lol:

Milspec likes this.

7. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2015
    Maldon, England
    I switched to instant de-caff, and then found out it still contains about one tenth the caffeine of regular coffee. I'm on to Earl Grey Redbush after midday now, but peppermint tea before bed with a magnesium tablet. Sleep much better, the peppermint is supposed to be a muscle relaxant.

8. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    I quit leaded coffee a couple of years ago. I was drinking 3-4 a day. I quit for a year, then tried it again. Did that for a couple of months and decided to quit again. I enjoy a cup of decaf every morning cause I like the taste, but that is it.

If you're getting the afternoon nap call, eat an apple and drink cold water. It really works.

Getting off coffee was more about the ritual of the day/time for me. I haven't drank soda or energy drinks in years (like 10+) so caffeine was never really a major staple in my diet.

A good nights rest, healthy food and some cardio throughout the week gives me good energy (most of the time).

Beer, well that is a different story.

Good for you if it makes you feel better.

9. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    My paternal grandmother’s family came from the west Texas ranching community of Graham, which is just a few miles west of of Post, TX. The town of Post was named for the cereal manufacturer C. W. Post, who purchased hundreds of thousands of acres of ranchland at the turn of the 20th century.

The story goes that early on some ranch hands were working for Post, and he attempted to win them over to healthier breakfast foods. They begrudgingly acquiesced to cereal for breakfast, but when Post tried to insist that they forsake their coffee and switch to his “Postum” drink, they threatened to walk off the job en masse if they couldn’t have their coffee.

These are my people. That story was proudly told at our family reunions when I was a boy. :twisted:

Milspec likes this.

10. Kingpin

Kingpin Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Here
    Did someone mention coffee?

Sure, I'll have a cup.

8barlouie likes this.

11. Brokenpick

Brokenpick Tele-Afflicted

Oct 29, 2008
    Dixie
    Wait.... what's wrong with an afternoon nap?
    Naps are great!
    If yer tired, take a nap! Ya probably got up to dang early.

It's amazing to me that we often hear of Asian, or S. American cultures being robust and living long. Tea drinking(generally way more caffeine than coffee) and coca leaf chewing... OK for some, not for others?!
    What the heck.
    Good genes, some moderation -both in diet and in activity levels and stress- and you can wash yer bacon down with whatever you want.
    Dint ya ever watch old TV Westerns? Every time 2 or more people gathered they drank coffee or whisky! (& they could shoot from the hip with amazing accuracy and do other mythical stuff too!)

12. Arafel

Arafel Tele-Meister

Oct 19, 2011
    Denver
    I start my day with a double espresso. Always. More often than not I'll have something in the afternoon as well. But that's it.

I love espresso. Love the taste of it, etc., and since we all end up in the ground anyway, and there has actually been a positive correlation between caffeine intake and reduction in dementia and strokes, I'll stick with this vice.

13. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    Ain't nothin' wrong with a nap at any time of the day. However I was referring to the times when a nap is not an option.

14. ce24

ce24 Friend of Leo's

Jan 26, 2008
    Idahoastan
    Wow..I thought you were giving up coffee!!!!!......8)

15. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

Jul 10, 2014
    Tokyo
    Last year I stopped with the sugar. I've been drinking sweet soft drinks all my life, and not too much else. I was not overweight, living in Japan where one has to walk or cycle to get around, and there are countless stairs (Japan does not have any laws like America's ADA), I have been able to keep the weight down. But even so, I lost about 8 pounds after quitting soft drinks.

As for caffeine, it has not been as addicting to me as sugar. I can take it or leave it. I don't mind coffee or tea during the day, but I have no real urge to make or buy it. Nowadays I drink mostly water.

Other than the 8 pounds lost, the biggest effect is spending less money. Soft drinks are expensive, the amount I save in a year is enough to get a nice guitar.

16. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

I drink the best part of a pot every morning. It is my last vice and not likely to be given up willingly. I haven't developed a sensitivity to caffeine yet. I used to do energy drinks on band practice nights but they started making me feel weird.

17. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Not to throw a monkey wrench into the works, but the research shows that a little bit of caffeine is definitely associated with better health and longer life - just like (and I love this) drinking a little booze each day, being slightly overweight, and doing some exercise but not tons and tons.

18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

All I need now is to know procrastination is good for you, too.

19. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    They took out half my pancreas and told me no booze and no coffee:( I'm screwed !

I may have to move to Colorado :rolleyes:

Bruxist and 6stringcowboy like this.

20. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    "It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion." - The Programmer's Mantra

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.