Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Finally ditching caffeine

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Mar 8, 2018.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I abused caffeine for years. First it was high-stimulant prework out drinks and cutting supplements. Then I got into "energy drinks" and such. I used to brag that I could drink a liter of Mt. Dew at 10pm and go straight to bed. In 2011, I got off all caffeine entirely in preparation for some international travel, and kept it up for 6 or 8 months before starting to drink tea and coffee again.

More recently, I haven't been abusing caffeine like that, but I was drinking three or four coffees every morning, and a coffee every afternoon... and about two weeks ago I felt my chest tighten and my heart pump harder than normal. I went to the doc for a check up - nothing wrong, but he said it was probably caffeine related.

That was enough for me. I'm 45, and my body just can't tolerate it any more. So I bought some decaf coffee the other day, and I endured the withdrawal headaches this week, and I'm finally over it.

Not to say that I won't have an occasional lightly caffeinated drink... but the days of pumping my body up with it are over.

AAT65, Toto'sDad, 8barlouie and 5 others like this.

2. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    Do what you gotta do to stay healthy brother!

TheGoodTexan likes this.

3. troy2003

troy2003 Friend of Leo's

Mar 30, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    Caffeine is my only remaining vice. I don’t know if I could cut out coffee. I definitely need to quit my Coke Zero-I am seriously addicted to that. Don’t laugh, but I quit smoking and drinking cold turkey and it was much easier than soda pop.

4. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    Good on ya, brother.

I did the same thing last January and, while I am sure quitting smoking all those years ago was really the best change I have made for my health, this is a close second.

And I think its effects were both more noticeable and more immediate.

I have a cup of good decaf coffee (Swiss water method) each day of the weekend and have decaf and herbal tea during the week.

5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I had a 2-3 year run off caffeine and my energy and mood were super stable through the day, no peaks where I get a little manic and work too hard, and less valleys where I need a nap or to sit down and rest.
    I also had a problem where I fell asleep driving and the Doctors couldn't fix it after big $ tests; all I could do was pull over and sleep for ten minutes, so one day on a long drive to a job installation with another vehicle I was forced to have a cup of coffee and I was right back on the caffeine.

I do get the tight chest heart pounding these days but Docs say it's stress, not really drinking much coffee, maybe 2-3 cups in the morning and that's it.

Something to think about but....

....You make it sound so easy!

6. rad1

rad1 Tele-Holic

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    It’s morning, I’m sitting in my recliner sipping my strong black coffee.

I must have missed it, did someone say something about coffee?

8barlouie likes this.

7. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted

I have never drank coffee and I haven't drank soft drinks in 20 years, but all of my life I have been a big tea drinker. I guess that's from growing up in the South.

Anyway a couple of years ago I quit drinking tea and that put me totally caffeine free. I really believe I feel worse since I quit. I say everyday I'm gonna go back to drinking tea but I haven't yet.

Mechanic likes this.

8. TheGoodTexan

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Mine is/was certainly stress related as well, compounded by caffeine.

telemnemonics likes this.

9. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    I should add that I am the same age as you are.

It was insomnia/anxiety (frequently at the same time) that made me give it up. Surprisingly, it helped more with anxiety than insomnia.

telemnemonics likes this.

10. TheGoodTexan

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I'm not dealing with insomnia, but I am dealing with a touch of stress related anxiety... that thing where you can't make your brain stop thinking about a certain stresser, over and over.

11. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    My brain loves caffeine. I don’t like soda, besides plain seltzer, or seltzer with a little Rose’s lime juice. But I love me some coffee (hot or cold) and iced tea. I’m sure I’d be fine (after adjustment time) if I had to quit. But I hope I don’t.

I’m glad you’re paying attention and taking care of yourself.

12. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Coffee is my last drug. I don't abuse it though.

Geo and troy2003 like this.

13. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    The one "incident" that alerted me to the effects of caffeine, especially in conjunction with Taurine was when I was driving back from Manchester to Essex one evening.

I'd set off at 04:00 that morning and it's a 4.5 hour drive - get there early be ready to deliver some training at 09:30.

I left our Manchester office at about 17:00 to drive back but there was a crash on the motorway and, after crawling along, being stationary and having to take a big detour, I needed petrol. I realised it was 22:30 and I still had about 90 minutes to drive.

In the service station I saw an "energy drink" and though "I'm thirsty and I could do with a pick-me-up" so a couple of small cans and I was off down the road towards home.

90 minutes (ish) late, I pulled into our drive. It didn't occur to me at the time why I couldn't sleep that night but when I hadn't been able to sleep to over 36 hours, I remembered the "energy drinks".

The stuff was called Lipovitan-D. I have no doubt it's a good product but I must have had more than was good for me and I don't intend having anymore.

Milspec likes this.

14. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas

15. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

Good for you to know when you need to cut back.

I used to drink 6- 7 cups a day. I've got it down to one double espresso and a cup of coffee in the morning.

The other day at work, I couldn't find any regular coffee, so I brewed decaf for everyone in the office. I don't think anyone noticed

16. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    I go to sleep fine but then wake up in the night. I still do (though less so) but I don't wake up anxious, so I go out to the couch and watch some youtube videos on my phone until I fall back asleep, which usually does not take too long.

I might have been able to get by with just cutting way down. But I didn't have too much trouble quitting. I switched from coffee to black tea to green tea to decaf tea.

And, as I mentioned, I make decaf coffee at home on the weekends and it satisfies that itch. Most decaf is terrible because they use lower quality beans to offset the cost of the decaffeination process. I get No Fun Jo Decaf and I like it fine, though I have also had Whole Foods brand of Swiss Water Method Decaf and enjoyed it.

TheGoodTexan likes this.

17. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I've been drinking coffee since I was 11 years old, at camp outs when I was a Boy Scout. Strong, black, no sugar. I just drink coffee. When I was younger, I had issues (not heart) from drinking too much of it. I used to drink several big cups at breakfast, and then at different points throughout the day. And iced tea at lunch and supper. (Again, no sugar. I'm an atypical Southerner. I don't drink "Sweet tea," and I don't order "Unsweet tea" at a restaurant so I can add some artificial sweetener to it; if I drink tea, I drink unsweet tea.)

Now, at 64, and post quadruple bypass surgery, I still drink my black coffee and unsweet tea. But we don't make tea at home by the pitcher any more; if I drink it, it's at a restaurant. And I'll have 2-3 cups of coffee with my breakfast, but they are real "cups," as in 8 fluid ounces per serving. So I consume between 16-24 ounces of coffee per day.

Oh, and I don't/never did do those energy drinks. And I don't do any cokes (or "sodas" or "pops" or whatever you call it where you're from). I used to drink a lot of Dr. Pepper and Mt. Dew before my heart attack. I got off all of those soda beverages cold turkey after my heart attack and surgery.

troy2003 and oldgofaster like this.

18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

+1. I was going to say. Everyone is different, but if someone can drink coffee in moderation, nothing wrong with that.

19. Brokenpick

Brokenpick Tele-Afflicted

Oct 29, 2008
    Dixie
    At my age, a quick tightening of the chest, .... meh.
    The much-feared heart attack has gotta be one of the better ways to go out. Some of the alternatives are horrifying.
    Drink 'em if ya got 'em.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.