Finally decided on a Vox AC15

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by jdinaz, Nov 3, 2018.

1. jdinaz

jdinaz TDPRI Member

Been going crazy trying to decide between the AC15 and a Bassbreaker 15, both excellent amps for what I need. Saw MF had the Vox for $100. off, with free shipping and no tax. That's about what a used one goes for. Hard to beat that deal. I play a Tele and had been using a Katana 50. The Katana is really good too, just missed those tubes. Thanks for listening, I had to tell someone. LOL

michiganguitar, AAT65, tce63 and 4 others like this.
  2. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

If I went back to tube amps, I'd pick up an AC15. I use a Helix now and almost exclusively use Vox models on it. Great choice!

3. RockinforJesus

RockinforJesus TDPRI Member

Love my AC15C1, and am just getting into amp modeling based on... wait for it... a VOX AC.
    Absolute tone masters.
    Give the speaker plenty of time to break in, add some decent tubes (JJ’s or whatever other quality tubes), and maybe replace the reverb tank with a Mod.
    Oh, and if you get a decent ABY pedal you can use either input or both at the same time (3 different tone shapes).

EddieLocrian and tce63 like this.
  4. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

I’ve been in a similar debate with myself between an AC15 and a Princeton reverb. I want a relatively low power amp with reverb and trem built-in. Both appeal to me, but I don’t want or need both. The Supro Comet is also in the running.

RockinforJesus and tce63 like this.
  5. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I have the AC15 , head and speaker Cab, fantastic amp, only changed the Reverb tank.

Used to have only Fender amps, but was missing something.

So now the Lineup is AC15 and a Marshall Origin.

RockinforJesus likes this.
  6. aviv135

aviv135 TDPRI Member

what made you decide on the Vox instead of the Bassbreaker?

7. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Why did you miss the tubes? This is not a trick question, I really want to know.
    BTW, our own Derek McCoy gets excellent fusion tones from a tele, cable and AC15:

But he can also make a Roland Cube model work:

teleblueman likes this.
  8. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

My first really good amp was a an AC15. Then I had an offer accepted that I didn’t think would get accepted on a vintage super reverb. I had to sell the AC15 to make the money work, and the deal was too good to pass up. Then I got a Marshall Origin the next time I had money in the fund to buy an amp.

But I’m really jonesing to get another Vox back in the lineup. Nothing like a cooking AC10/15/30.

I think I’m leaning towards the AC10 for the purposes of a small, light grab and go. But if it were going to be my main amp I’d def go with another AC15.

9. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

Which modeler? So far I've had better results getting Vox sounds with the Fender Mustang GT (British 60s) than Boss GT-1 or Katana (VO Overdrive, VO Lead, matchless).

10. RockinforJesus

RockinforJesus TDPRI Member

I am exploring going straight into the soundboard stereo out of my pedalboard rather than into a mic’d amp.
    I will be using the Tech 21 Liverpool as my amp modeler.
    Waiting to hook up our new digital soundboard (currently an analog A&H GL2400, going to a digital Midas something or other).
    DA2D19AF-FAF0-40C9-960B-4392493E0387.jpeg

11. jdinaz

jdinaz TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the support, the reason I choose the Vox was that I wanted built in tremolo if possible and the price was important to keep down. I don't play out anymore, so this is just for me to use in the music room. I would likely have been just as happy with the Bassbreaker. We're lucky to have all the choices that are available.

tce63 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.