Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Final American tour for John McLaughlin

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by GeorgiaHonk, Nov 10, 2017.

1. GeorgiaHonk

GeorgiaHonk Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2003
    Auburn, Georgia
    I've never had the opportunity to see John McLaughlin in concert, so I am incredibly excited to be seeing him here in Atlanta in 12 days. He feels that, at 75 years old, this will be his last large scale tour. Jimmy Herring is sharing the bill, and they plan to revisit some of the material from the early Mahavishnu Orchestra albums. His music seems to be about challenging himself and his audience, and I appreciate a musical challenge. I'm curious if any of you have seen them already and if so what were your thoughts?

Roger

BorderRadio likes this.

2. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Apr 10, 2015
    Italy and Switzerland
    Not seen him live. Huge fan of the first Mahavishnu, less so if his later output. Still a great gig - I’d be excited too

GeorgiaHonk likes this.

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Do go see/hear him.
    He is a singular artist.
    There is no one else like him.

GeorgiaHonk likes this.

4. Walker

Walker Tele-Holic

Jan 18, 2007
    CT
    Yeah, it seems that arthritis is catching up with him and he feels this will be his last large scale tour where he can still play at his best. I saw a recording of the show on YouTube and really enjoyed it. I wish I could see them live.

GeorgiaHonk likes this.

5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Saw him in an acoustic show with Al Di Meola and Paco de Lucia around '80-'81 (?) Three amazing guitarists, each did solo bits plus played together. Performance of a lifetime.

GeorgiaHonk, BorderRadio and ac15 like this.

6. kafka

kafka Tele-Meister

Oct 18, 2013
    Maryland
    I've seen him a handful of times, and even met him once. He's been an idol of mine since the 70s. I was thrilled beyond belief to hear him play the Mahavishnu material in DC last week.

GeorgiaHonk likes this.

7. Randypttt

Randypttt Tele-Afflicted

Feb 8, 2010
    Elyria Oh
    I just saw him 2 days ago in Ann Arbor Mi (see my thread). Great show. I've seen him a few times beginning in the 70's but not for a long time now. I was actually more interested in his current band and material than I was the older stuff. It's just the finest ensemble he's had since his first Orchestra imho.
    But don't get me wrong I loved all of it.
    Enjoy yourself!

GeorgiaHonk likes this.

8. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    Saw that tour too. At the University of Chicago concert hall.

GeorgiaHonk and nojazzhere like this.

9. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jul 2, 2015
    PNW USA
    I saw Mahavishnu Orchestra twice in the '70s, both shows were epic. This is your chance! Wish I could see this new group live.

GeorgiaHonk and nojazzhere like this.

10. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Gotta see him, MO and Shakti fan here.

GeorgiaHonk likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.