Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

filtertron copies have you tried it??

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by copachino, Nov 7, 2017.

1. copachino

copachino Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2014
    honduras

2. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    I think it depends on what you put them in. I just completed a La Cabronita with Filtertrons and wound the pickups myself. They sound fantastic in that guitar but I'm unfamiliar with the ones you've posted. They look identical to the ones I made. What did you want to put them in?

3. copachino

copachino Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2014
    honduras
    well they are for a cabronita build too, where did you get the kit for winding??

4. mux164

mux164 Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2013
    australia
    IMG_7972.JPG

They sound alright, I was thinking of putting in a set in a 175 but I'm not so sure

It's amazing that some of these cheap pickups sound as good as they do

Zepfan likes this.

5. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    I bought an identical pair to the ones above ( well, they -look- identical anyway ). The neck one is in the neck position of my CVC and the bridge one found a home as the sole pickup on my Strat.
    I found they need a 500K pot or they're mud. They're a little muffled on the high end, but otherwise, good sounding, inexpensive to try and different looking.

6. RickyRicardo

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/pickup-kit-filtertron-nickel-cover

A decent kit for the price. However, the mounting screws could be better so I ordered different ones. If you've never wound them before it may take a few tries. Let me know if you have any questions should you decide to wind your own. Rob (Barncaster) gave me his recipe suggestion and I really like it.

BorderRadio likes this.

7. copachino

copachino Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2014
    honduras
    that would be nice if you give me the recipe too, i have never wound this kind of pickup, in fact i have never open one of this, so im no so sure how they are

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    If you want the sound of old Filtertrons, only TV Jones replicas, or original Filtertrons will do, IMO.
    Ya can't cheap out.

9. RickyRicardo

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    I wound them close to 3300/ 3600 bridge and 3000/ 3300 neck as recommended by Rob. The bobbins are small and you have to wind them tight and linear with a wiggle every 1000 winds or so. If you have wound humbuckers before then you can do these. The only reference I had here on TDPRI was from Rick's post but all of the pictures are gone now. I also followed this video even though it's for humbuckers:

10. mux164

mux164 Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2013
    australia
    Yeah still was muddy with a 500k pot. I still have another set in a draw

11. RickyRicardo

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Mine are clear and glassy. I wired it with an S1 and no tone and it doesn't need it. Couldn't be happier.

12. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

Sep 28, 2010
    Columbia, MO
    I put a set in a cabronita build using 500k pots. The high end is clear and biting but the low end is muddy. I think some of that is just being a humbucker but I wonder if it can be improved. Overall I think they are a good value.

13. Andy B

Andy B Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 16, 2003
    Colorado
    I tried the GFS mini filtertrons. Very disapointing. sounded dull no matter what.

14. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    The only pseudo-Filtertrons I have experience with are the Fender "Fidelitrons" in my Cabronita's (one Thinline, one solidbody) - and I love 'em!

I had a Gretsch 6120-JR a few years back and I think the Fender versions compare favorably - as far as I can remember, anyway. Even a side-by-side that would be a tough comparison, though, since the construction of those guitars is so different.

In any case, I'm VERY happy with the Fidelitrons and have no plans to change them out.
    I did add a dual-500K stacked pot to each Cab to get volume and tone control. The pickups respond really well to any and all adjustments.

FWIW, they sound AWESOME through a Vox AC15-HW1!!

bender66 likes this.

15. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2014
    west coast
    I've studied Filter'trons extensively, including late vintage Gretsch, Fender OEM and TV Jones http://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/tv-classics-vs-gretsch-filtertrons-vs-fender-fidelitrons.154849/ as well as some PAF sized types.

From what I know about what I've seen and what I see in the eBay listing, it looks like a very good copy of a modern Gretshc Filter'tron.

Note how closely the underside matches the recent Gretsch:

[​IMG]

(the Gretsch is in the middle )

[​IMG]

I wouldn't be surprised if it the same OEM with different branding.

The eBay specs claim the cover is "nickel", and the magnet is an AlNiCo bar. If all that is true, this is very likely a fine pickup.

TV Jones as a strong reputation, but to a large extent that word of mouth momentum. There's really no difference between TV Jones and Chinese makes, so long as the proper materials are used. TV Jones as some unique pickups, such as the Magna'tron and T-Armond, but if you're getting a plain jane Filter'tron, there's not need to spend all the extra money.

16. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I will offer you this: I installed HS Filtertrons into my Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet. But before I had those, I installed cheap Chinese filtertron copies into it. In all honesty, they sounded exactly like the Filtertrons. No joke.

17. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Try a .047 cap inline with the pickup's signal wire to the volume pot(high pass filter).
    The GFS pickups are just minibuckers posing as Filtertrons. Some of their minibuckers are good and some not so good.

18. Andy B

Andy B Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 16, 2003
    Colorado
    They just don’t cut it compared to Duncan Vintage Firebirds or old Gibson mini’s

Zepfan likes this.

19. misterdontmove

misterdontmove Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2011
    Connecticut
    I don't know where the "blacktop" filtertrons Gretch/Fender is putting in their inexpensive Asian guitars are actually made, but I put a set in my Cabronita conversion and they really do sound great!

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.