Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Filter with no "envelope"

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by edipo, Jul 13, 2017.

1. edipo

edipo Tele-Meister

Sep 14, 2011
    madrid
    Hey. I'm curious if you guys know if there's any envelope filter where you can disengage the envelope section of it.

I'm really interested in no-moving filters. I made myself (actually asked someone to do it) a fixed wah with the guts of a crybaby in a simple case with a single knob controlling the filter. But a wah is a resonant band pass filter basically and I've got this sound already.

I'll explain why I need it.

I have a project where I play a bass VI and I wanna split the signal between a bass and a guitar amp, but the signal going to the guitar amp I want to filter out the bass frequencies.

Ideally I'd just leave the filter in high pass mode and then find the frequency I wanna cut.

Thanks.

2. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    Sounds like something you could do with a few Moogs.

3. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Couldn't you use a 15 band graphic or a parametric EQ?

Obsessed likes this.

4. Redvers

Redvers Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2016
    Wales
    All you need is a capacitor and a resistor for that surely? Or a simple crossover.

Steve 78 likes this.

5. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland

6. Gunerius

Gunerius Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2013
    Norway
    You could try out something called a crossover that does exactly that. If you are in the US you should be able to find a Peavy crossover chorus or something like that used I think! I was looking for this fir a while but couldn't find anything that would be smart to pay for to Norway with the shipping and everything else!
    Otherwise the Moog minifooger drive has a low pass filter on a knob and also sounds very good.
    You could also get someone to make you a pickup for only the low Strings and send only those to the bass amp.
    I do this and also split 3 Strings one amp 3 Strings another.

7. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Isn't that the definition of a parametric EQ?

J Hog likes this.

8. kafka

kafka Tele-Meister

Oct 18, 2013
    Maryland
    Yes, although there haven't really been a whole lot in pedal format.

Is there a commercial version of this? This is based on the one from the Craig Anderton book. I've always wanted to build one without the distortion.
    http://www.guitarpcb.com/apps/webstore/products/show/3961608

9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Did someone say parametric EQ pedal?

[​IMG]

Obsessed likes this.

10. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I did a studio experiment one time where i used a 3 way PA crossover and set the cross over points ( it took a bit of tweaking ) where the high end out went to reverb , the mids went chorus/ flange , and the bottom end went to distorion (slight, more of a crunch) and delay. as I played up and down the neck the effect shifted with the frequency ,this sounds suspiciously like what you are trying to accomplish here.

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    The VFE Rocket parametric EQ can apparently make the cocked wah. It has just recently gone out of production. I've been seriously considering it myself.

12. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    Broughton HPF
    fDeck HPF

But good luck actually finding one of those.

VFE Standout will be about as close as you'll get. But it's not going to do split for you.

Your basically wanting to set up a sort of hybrid bi-amp set up, crossover won't work cause you want bass amp signal to still be full range.

I guess you could look at Rolls SX21 and maybe only use the high out, never used one. It may and probably is a noisy piece of cheap crap so YMMV.

13. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    John Cippolina's rig was three way with the low going to the Standells, the mid to the Twin and the highs going to the Trumpet horns powered by a Dual Showman head.

14. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 19, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Subdecay prometheus has an envelope you can disengage.

Frostwave do their ms20 filter clone but they're expensive.

Moog do big serious filters.

15. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    ^^^ This ^^^

For the best results, not only do you want to filter out the bass frequencies to the guitar amp... you'll also want to filter the high frequencies to the bass amp. That is precisely what a crossover does, and they are not expensive. Start looking in the PA department instead of the guitar department ;)

16. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Meister

Jan 6, 2017
    NWNJ
    any fixed wah pedal will give that sound; a lot of envelope filter do both

look at byoc envelope filter; lush envelope, AND adjustable freq cocked/fixed wah function..

TeleOrLes likes this.

17. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    I would try a boss graphic EQ pedal for that. Would that not be the 'colorless' option?

18. Hallo Spencer

Hallo Spencer TDPRI Member

Apr 13, 2011
    berlin
    You could use 2 EHX Knock-Outs and cut the bass on one and cut the treble on the second. But I wonder why you don't just dial the right settings on your amps eq's?

19. edipo

edipo Tele-Meister

Sep 14, 2011
    madrid
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I understand the concept of a crossover. I'm not worried about the high frequencies in the bass amp actually. My concern is not blowing the guitar amp with the bass ones.

If the moogerfooger had a high pass one (the opposite of what they have) would be perfect.

Do you know if the last frequency on a simple eq pedal (the Boss bass one, for example) is a shelf or bell curve?

TeleOrLes likes this.

20. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2010
    Fullerton CA
    Find the guitar amp. Now, find the "bass" control.
    Turn this knob completely counter-clockwise.
    You're welcome.
    But, all seriousness aside:
    No matter what you do, you still need a guitar amp with fairly high power for the headroom and the (assumed) higher power speaker.

Even with the excess bass dialed out, the amp will still be reproducing frequencies below normal guitar range, and those frequencies by their very nature require more watts to reproduce without significant distortion.

That's why SVTs are 300 watts. A Princeton won't cut it, unless you plan on playing very, very quietly.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.