Filled out new organ donor card today...what to build?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by RollingBender, Apr 22, 2019.

1. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Holic Vendor Member

Annual spring clean-up in my town this weekend. Scored this little gem...
    90BF892B-5898-4033-9026-610988A58B9A.jpeg 24907B2F-F1BB-49ED-A41E-CB9AFCAB949A.jpeg
    EZ81 rectifier, 2-EL84 power tubes, and a pair of 12AU7’s. Looks like a good start to a guitar amp to me!

What would you build?

2. symbiotic

symbiotic TDPRI Member

One possibility would be something like a 18-watt Lite IIb, as you already have the perfect tube complement (swapping 12AX7's for the 12AU7's of course). You could build it straight-ahead, or you could mess with splitting the cathodes on the parallel input stage and voice the two triodes differently. Something I've been considering trying.

Here is a discussion of parallel triode input stage on the Ampgarage forum:
    https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11146

BTW, congrats on the find and have fun!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  3. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Holic Vendor Member

What do you think of a 18 watt Marshall power amp with RobRob’s micro Bassman layout in the front? With a 12AX7 in V1, it would be a “JTM18”!

4. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Holic

Mr Ridesglide likes this.
  5. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Stout looking Transformers. Would be helpful to know what the outputs are. As folks said above those 18W Marshall circuits are awesome.
    Personally I like the 15 W Matchless type sonics better. Ceriatone has layouts for 2 or three amps with 15W amps. Creme Brûlée is sweet - EF86 preamp. Lightning is 15W i think, but you'd need to drill another socket for one more preamp tube. Then there's the Spitfire clone -
    All those want to see about about 340 or slightly less on the plates of the EL84's if I remember correctly. Great sounding and versatile amps. The Creme Brûlée is a personal favorite of mine - I made one out of a Hammond organ a few years back - learned more than I bargained for, but got a terrific amp out of it. Don't let the 15W label worry you any - I gigged it a few times in a medium sized room and it kept up fine with a 5 piece band. I ran it through a 2-12 Cab.

6. muswell_hillbilly

muswell_hillbilly Tele-Meister

7. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Fantastic find muswell-hillbilly.
    Page 23 looks like the schematic. So the power transformer will put out a near perfect voltage for lots of amps. 8 ohms on the OT. Heater taps too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.