Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Files and ruler for slotting nut

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Geniustoogs, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Geniustoogs

Geniustoogs Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2016
    California
    Hello! Second post of the day.. sorry :)

I’ve successfully gotten the nut out of my twelve string neck and need to cut the new one. What should I buy in terms of a ruler (I know they make rulers with string slot positions on it) and for files. This is my first attempt at cutting and filling a nut so any additional tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    The only allow three posts per day, ya know...

;)

Geniustoogs likes this.

3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    .....I use a 6" machinists scale available at Harbor Freight or Lowes... 1/64 and 1/32" divisions.

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnpla/56207335?cid=ppc-google-New+-+Measuring+&+Inspecting+-+PLA_sDGUlkD7l___164110844316_c_S&mkwid=sDGUlkD7l|dc&pcrid=164110844316&rd=k&product_id=56207335&gclid=CjwKCAjw6szOBRAFEiwAwzixBWWeccl_QDSJ-sxgCmI3f2jCQtpSEPZH1Fug8TId6PbGCSpyhl9IYxoC3U4QAvD_BwE

Sears used to carry one that is 3/4" wide with nice dark spacing. I think they were made by General. New ones tend to be narrower with lighter lines... they are harder to read but still do the job.

I stick the nut material in a vise. I mark in the end strings, and use an xacto knife to mark them. Then I divide the spacing up with the ruler, marking the positions. A really thin saw will start the grooves but a nut file set really makes the job easy.

I currently have a Hosco set from Philly Luthiers supply.

http://www.philadelphialuthiertools...iles/?utm_medium=googleshopping&utm_source=bc

You need the slots to be filed slightly downward towards the tuners, so the string breaks over solely on the front edge of the nut, and doesn't buzz.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    Geniustoogs likes this.

4. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

Aug 23, 2015
    uk
    if you still have the old nut you can clamp them together in a vice and mark the slots off the old one

Geniustoogs and Piggy Stu like this.

5. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Can't you buy a pre cut 12 string nut?..... that would save a lot of tooling up....

6. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    He's not looking for a 12 string nut..;)

I use the same Hosco set I got from eBay. I have the string spacing ruler and I also use the fret spacing from this diagram.

Attached Files:

7. Geniustoogs

Geniustoogs Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2016
    California
    If I were to use that diagram to locate the string slot locations would I use the two lines on either side of the center line to make it a 12 string? Or is that for something else?

8. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Sorry I didn't see where you asked for a 12 string nut..I reread and saw it. No, you need to find a 12 string diagram. I don't have one unfortunately. If the old one is still together just follow that one as suggested.

9. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Meister

May 7, 2015
    atlanta
    http://www.graphtech.com/products/product-detail/pq-1568-00-tusq-nut-slotted-12-strings

in white or lubricated for your pleasure:
    http://www.graphtech.com/products/brands/black-tusq-xl/black-tusq-xl-guitar-nuts

then just deepen the slots as needed, saves a lot of time and tears. Love the black tusq, really stops the strings from binding. I use gas jet cleaner files to deepen my nut slots, but I'm an amateur hack who isn't building guitars for a living. They work well, but they ain't the fastest, but then again with my abilities, anything that can slow me down is preventing more damage....

gas jet files about 2 or 3$ for a set in the welding supplies at Harbor Freight. Might as well pickup a set of metric allen keys, while your there, you never know when you'll need a 4.5mm hex to tighten up a truss rod. I don't worship, guitars I just play them.

10. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    Harder to describe than to do... What I do is mark the locations of the two outside strings, the octave E on the bass side (mark 1), and the fundamental e on the treble side (mark 2).

I measure down 7/64 from mark 1, that becomes the location of the fundamental E (mark 3). Now, just lay out ADGB fundamentals the way you normally do using mark 3 and mark 1 as your starting and ending points.

This assumes you're stringing the drones above (to the bass side) of the fundamentals.

Now mark the locations of the drones above your fundamentals, I use 7/64 for adg, and 5/64 for b and e.

You could mark the center of each course, like you suggest, then mark the strings either side of the centers. Generally the B and e strings are slightly closer to each other than the other four pairs. I've seen the G pairs slightly closer to each other, too.

Another thing to consider is to buy a cheapie 12 string preslotted nut that's close to the width you need and use it as a guide, fudging it a bit here and there to compensate. That's what I did my first time out, and it worked fine.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.