Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

FIFA World Cup, anyone else excited?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bob1234, May 27, 2014.

1. Mudguard

Mudguard Tele-Meister

Well, I don't have much to add. Congratulations to the winners, I wasn't impressed though. We have a gutsy team, with some balls, and could've had it. Missfiring unfit forwards... play that match again a couple of times and I don't know how it would turn out. There were 10 minutes of exhaustion at the end, and it's clear if you ever played defense, that Garay should have closed himself. They executed that play very well. Messi would've put his 2nd post ball in 49 out of 50 times, and no talking about Higuaín's chance. But no excuses, there's nothing to take away from the Germans here.
    I would really like if regular seasons would leave a bit more of rest before the world cup, and if they replace those extra 30 minutes with something else. It's a football cup, not a marathon, we want to see the best players, not the fittest ones. Of course if you win in 90' you get less tired, but this way endurance fitness is playing a larger role than it should in my opinion.

Team of the tournament has:
    1) TWO brazilians in it!!
    2) No mascherano (I'm not sure if there's anybody else other than Rojo for that position, but it's not unlikely). But it's not that bad anyway.

Of course no mention how funny it is that the team of the tournament doesn't feature the "best player" :lol:

I'm sorry I was checking the Castrol team, the FIFA one has Messi in it, keeps Rojo, has no Mascherano and... has David Luiz in it!!! :lol:

2. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2011
    Bristol
    Mascherano had a more legitimate shout for the Golden Ball than Messi, but I guess he's less marketable.

Agree Messi would have scored that goal 49 times out of 50. The fact that the one he missed was in the highest pressure game is why he will never be in Maradona's class - the true greats are more likely to score under pressure, not less likely.

3. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Even if they have to use their hands to do it. ;)

4. Mudguard

Mudguard Tele-Meister

Or to prevent somebody from doing it. He outdid Suarez goal line hand save in 1990 against the USSR by 20 years, but he got away with it! :rolleyes:

5. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec

6. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookings, OR
    Favorite Goals

I found a home video shot with the perfect angle to watch one of my favorite goals of the world cup.

Of course that is Jermaine Jones' equalizer against Portugal ;)
    Seeing this angle makes me conclude that it was a listless and uninspired defense of that corner on Portugal's part. That corner should have been cleared or headed out (2 chances for Portugal). But Jones still had to create and then finish a difficult shot.

Two of my other favorites, btw, are (1) Cahill's missile against the Netherlands -- IMO the best recap of Cahill's goal is here (this really captures the degree of difficulty on that shot). And (2) the Bryan Ruiz header against Italy.

7. Mudguard

Mudguard Tele-Meister

If the world was ever at the brink of total extermination, it wasn't with Cuban missile crisis, it was with the chance of a Brasil - Argentina final at the Maracana. So I guess in a way the Germans saved the world this time. The post match brawl would've meant Armaggedon (since it was very likely that we won...). Not that I wouldn't have liked to watch that final.

8. Mudguard

Mudguard Tele-Meister

9. kplamann

kplamann Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2003
    Paris region, France
    It means just about what you translated. It is one of the very silly celebration chants which are very common in European football stadiums.

While I and many other Germans consider this rather inelegant you may want to remember that these are 40 seconds of two days of celebrations under almost uninterrupted television coverage, and that the German players were otherwise very respectful towards the Argentinian team in interviews both before and after the game and during the second place award ceremony.

That is how I like them better.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014

10. Joerg

Joerg TDPRI Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Germany
    You are right, kpalamann. However, it is embarrassing. Stupid young men.

11. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 5, 2008
    Tulsa
    That was awesome, mrboson! Just like being there, you can see it playing out. Nice!

Gotze is pretty cool under pressure...

12. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    I want to offer my thanks to Mudguard for his input on this thread. He was a loyal Argentina fan throughout, but he shared his obvious love of the game and was patient with those of us with less understanding of the game.

So, "Thanks!"

13. Mudguard

Mudguard Tele-Meister

Thanks JayFreddy! I don't get to hear from people around the world like I do here. I haven't had the opportunity to travel much so I appreciate that.

kplamann, I understand the thread is closing and I don't want to dwell to much on this but, what I don't get is... what is that hunched back walking supposed to mean? Are they mocking by pretending to be sick? Seems wicked. I mean we go after the brasilians and they go after us, and everything, but it's on another level, this kind physical mockery, looking like hunchbacks, seems so silly and, I don't know why, but kind of sick. "this is how you walk"? what? They do that all around Europe? Or just in Germany? Can they walk while on the stadium stands to do that?

If I didn't know who they were, if they were just strangers in the street, I would be kind of disgusted. Knowing who they are, I'm trying not to, but's not easy nor fair.

14. Bendyha

Bendyha Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Northern Germany
    It's nothing to do with physical mockery, it's just; walk tall = connotations of pride and happiness, and why not, as opposed to feeling low down, hang your head in shame type of Messi slouch that he displayed as he got his golden ball.

15. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookings, OR
    The Gauchogate thing (for fans not familiar with US history, big scandals are identified by adding the 'gate' suffix, derived from the Watergate scandal in the 1970's) is being covered heavily here in the US. The only reason I can think of why is that soccer news is still big here even though the world cup is over. (That is great to see!)

But I think I know what the boys were doing, and I'm just saying it so we can all see that it's a childish prank. Take it backwards. The guys were chanting how the Germans walk while they stood tall and proud, because they won it all, beating everyone along the way (well, except Ghana).

They hunched over and walked to describe the gauchos (Hey, btw, I am a gaucho! I went to university at UC Santa Barbara, and our mascot was The Gauchos!). The hunching over means defeated and the opposite of walking proud, because the opponent has been vanquished.

It is silly, it is childish, and is probably the result of too much celebrating with Jägermeister. I think it will be some bulletin board material in the Argentine locker room for the next time these two countries play? Pride is a big thing, not a good idea to poke it when someone is down.

But hey Mudguard. Your country played with skill, class, and if Messi would have connected nobody would have argued whether Argentina deserved to win.

16. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

17. kplamann

kplamann Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2003
    Paris region, France
    Mudguard,

While typing my response, others beat me to it.

Not that I am particularly keen to defend them, but what you see as "hunched back" walking does indeed not refer to any supposed physical deficiency. It more or less symbolises the defeated team walking heads hanging and the winning team walking upright and proudly. There is not really much more to it than that, nor is there any other particular insult in what they are singing.

As a German living abroad I am certainly very sensitive what the behaviour of internationally visible Germans is concerned and was not happy at all, but this thing really got blown out of proportion.

On the other hand, the “line of honour” for the losing team you see in the second picture I posted above is a habit which is has been current in rugby for a long time and which you see increasingly often in European football. I like that a lot.

And, after all, we should maybe remember that our here subject of discussion is a ballgame. Nobody’s nation’s honour really is at stake!

18. Mudguard

Mudguard Tele-Meister

I know, come on! We all sing awful stuff at football stadiums around the world. I don't live in Disneyland! That stuff seemed so weird, I just wanted to see what did you have to say about it. The crowd sang to the Dutch, "guess who took your queen's virginity".

In that picture Messi and Schweinguy seem to be about to kiss. :lol:

kplmann, I don't believe in nations. And I don't think they can have any honor. But that's another lengthy topic! ;)

19. Bendyha

Bendyha Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Northern Germany
    People in stone houses shouldn't throw glasses.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.