Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

FIFA World Cup, anyone else excited?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bob1234, May 27, 2014.

1. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

I nominate Arjen Robben.

2. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Jan 13, 2013
    England
    Shows what i know of the game. You will have to forgive my grumpiness, someone is playing deutschland über alles (badly) on a trumpet beneath my window.

3. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    That was exciting. Romero will relive that goal for the rest of his life. A little less lean to his right, and he might have had it.

4. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    :lol: :D :lol:

5. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    We watched the game at a local bar and grill with a mostly German audience. I didn't think either team would ever get a goal. It was fun. I didn't care who won, so it was good to just watch the game and enjoy the abilities of both teams.

6. felis

felis Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2011
    Antwerp/Belgium
    Yep, one of the best ones I've seen.

Congrats Germany.

7. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I just watched the '66 final England v W Germany in grainy B&W ..... :)

they've been playing a lot of older WC semis/finals in between the current games/replays.... good to hear the old names in the call.....

8. MatthewDickin

MatthewDickin Tele-Afflicted

Congratulations Germany - well deserved winners.

My team of the tournament hasn't changed, even if Germany failed to burn quite so brightly last night.

Any thoughts on Messi winning the Golden Ball? He didn't even cross my mind when thinking of the 11 best players, so am I missing something? Or was it as bad a decision as it seems?

9. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2008
    Cologne
    Eventually they made it. Well deserved. Argentina was hard to play and I'm happy that Germany's more modern football won over their old scool defensiveness.
    Götze's goal was wonderful and what a relieve.

10. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

A United Germany, as well... ;)

I wonder if the old Pope had a side bet with the new Pope?.... ;)

11. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2007
    Cambridge, England
    They probably decided it before the tournament had actually begun. Mascherano deserved it more. Although Leighton Baines must have been a contender. :D

12. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2008
    Cologne
    BTW to all american friends here: Germany's way to this Championship started 10 years ago - with Klinsmann. Yes, you can!
    :)

13. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 4, 2007
    New Jersey
    A good - if not great - final graced by a wonderful goal!

Germany were indeed worthy winners and the best team in the tournament.

Maybe in 2018 England will improve and actually win a game? :eek:

14. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    ^^^^^

Let's be realistic. ;)

15. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 4, 2007
    New Jersey
    Yeah, you're right. England might not even qualify.

I should set realistic expectations now. :cry:

16. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Holic

Feb 7, 2014
    Isle-of-Wight
    1. German football establishment proves in-sourcing works. - world take note!

2. Best 'team' however = U.S.A without a doubt. (USA played with all heart and belief and reminded us of how England used to be 25+ years ago. Best team to watch)

Eddie.

17. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 5, 2008
    Tulsa
    The defensive game on both sides was really tough. They kept really tight quarters around ball movement, making it difficult for offensive maneuvering of almost any sort. Both teams relied heavily on mistakes to create opportunity, a couple of which were glaring, but not too many mistakes all in all. The German goal was really impressive and German fans had a feeling that Schürrle would be involved in the creation of something of that sort on some level if Germany was going to win, and it was a beautiful pass. This is the first time my favored team has won, so I'm ecstatic.

Anybody remember Soccer Made in Germany, or the announcer Toby Charles?

It was an exciting cup on many levels.

The USA team shows some real promise. Four years is not too far away and we have the resources and talent in spades. We just need to create a stronger network for development, communication, and cohesion; which is not a small feat with a country this size. The next four years will show a marked improvement in our world standing, I believe.

To all the people of Germany , wir freuen uns sehr!

18. MatthewDickin

MatthewDickin Tele-Afflicted

19. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookings, OR
    We have Klinsmann under contract through the '18 cup. Perhaps to complete your analogy you can loan us Loew next.

20. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2007
    Cambridge, England

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.