Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

FIFA World Cup, anyone else excited?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bob1234, May 27, 2014.

1. bob1234

bob1234 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 22, 2013
    Michigan
    I was on deployment in the Navy last time this happened. I remembered being on watch and having to call up to berthing to ask about the score and stuff. What was strange, although I've been a soccer fan all my life, even people that couldn't give a crap about soccer REALLY got into that world cup. It was awesome seeing 6100 people (carrier!) get really excited for a common thing.

Anywho, I am really excited we are playing Ghana first, but I am NOT excited about the group as a whole...

We are grouped with

-Ghana (team that knocked us out last time! Our first match up... :twisted:)
    -Germany
    -Portugal

All 3 of these teams will be tough to get through. Im a huge fan of portugal, and germany is always tough... :confused:

Anyway, first game is june 19! clear your calender!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2014

2. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2011
    Bristol
    I'm definitely excited about the World Cup, but as an England supporter not too excited - or optimistic - about our chances.

USA is in a tough group but they have a chance of getting through. I think we can put Germany top of the group now, which means one of US, Ghana or Portugal.

Portugal can lose to anyone - and beat anyone - they are very inconsistent. I fancy the US to get something from that game, which means it all comes down to the Ghana match. That could go either way.

3. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 29, 2008
    Eugowra, Australia
    Are the stadiums built? :lol:

4. DonMI6

DonMI6 Tele-Holic

Jan 5, 2012
    Maitland, Australia
    We (Australia) have Spain, The Netherlands & Chile. Realistically all three should be too strong, but you never know.
    With the Giro D'Italia on now, the World Cup & then the Tour de France, I'm not going to get much sleep for a while!

5. Kirchensfan

Kirchensfan Telefied Silver Supporter

Jan 1, 2013
    New Jersey
    Do they keep score for the riots, too? Nothing like a few thousand on a rampage.

6. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My best mate lives in Brazil.. his son and other friends are on their way to hang out with him and go to some games up in the North...

Tough assignment for the current aussie squad... an experience of a lifetime though... I hope they have their moments and score a few goals... :)

there will be a lot of pressure on the local side to win.... Football is kinda huge over there...

7. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

Apr 30, 2008
    Peterborough, UK
    Seriously? You still think soccer and riots go hand-in-hand?

8. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    I'm not much of a fan, but will watch some here and there.

9. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 17, 2007
    Willamette and Columbia
    Historically, that's the only part of the game that we really get much reporting on in the States. :(

10. didikai

didikai Tele-Meister

Jun 19, 2010
    London
    I hear England are going to wear their shirts back to front so it looks like they are attacking.

11. jhundt

jhundt Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    I'm a California guy who has been transplanted to Holland for 14 years. We will be enthusiastically supporting our team, but we will be in California on a visit for most of the group stages. I sure hope that TV coverage is better now than it was back before we moved over here...

12. thegreatshocka

thegreatshocka TDPRI Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    I am pumped. Got all of the USA's group games in my calendar. Here's my realistic best case scenario:

-Beat Ghana. We have a stronger overall squad, and I think team USA will be hungry for this one.
    -Draw Portugal. It's Cristiano Ronaldo and 10 guys. As long as our defense doesn't fall apart, I like a draw here. Still, CRon 7 has to be excited for this game :(
    -Draw Germany, only because they will have destroyed Ghana and Portugal and are starting a B squad or just not caring about the outcome since they'll already be assured of getting out of the group.

I have to say, if team USA gets out of the group, I like them to make a run since the rest of the competition won't be nearly as tough.

13. tcadam

tcadam Tele-Afflicted

Jan 12, 2007
    Delaware
    I'll be happy as long as they stop all vuvuzelas at the border.

14. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    Just like NASCAR and Wrecks.
    Nobody really cares who wins, they just want to see who gets in the Biggest Wreck.

15. Mudguard

Mudguard Tele-Meister

Excited? Count me in!

16. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I saw the Madrid teams play last Saturday on TV. I haven't been so pulled into a sports event since the Giants played the World Series. I think I'll be watching more.

Why is it when you watch a sport you know little about with two teams you know even less about, you automatically decide who to root for? At least I do. Is there something subliminal going on?

17. Mudguard

Mudguard Tele-Meister

Which one did you root for?

I agree with you, and I think it tells something about yourself. It happens to me when I watch the Olympic Games.

18. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Real Madrid. I think it was the white uniforms.

19. bob1234

bob1234 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 22, 2013
    Michigan
    Nice to see support!

20. Throttleneck

Throttleneck Tele-Afflicted

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.