Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender's stained Pau Ferro fretboard on a '60s style tele.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by rze99, Apr 18, 2018.

1. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Looks great. Really quite like ebony.

I'd rather have this than the tendency for it to look a bit streaky and red. Especially on those classic custom color 60s type models.

dyed pau ferro board.jpg

Fiesta Red, tomtama, BBill64 and 4 others like this.

2. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Yeah, but. Yeah, but. Yeah, but...

I have a Strat with a pau ferro fretboard. I understand what you mean about the color - although I don't mind one way or the other.

I've played new-out-of-the-box rosewood Teles before at a local shop - after 15 minutes, my hands were black from "rub off" from the fretboard. It probably just needed to be cleaned up, but still.

I wonder if the stained board would bleed residue? And for how long? Who knows.

I do see that the stain seems to lighten by the frets in your picture - there seems to be an uneven band of lighter color surrounding every fret. Maybe this is just picture lighting? Who knows.

That said, however, I do like the look.

Do I have a point here? Who knows. :lol:

3. WelshBluesMan

WelshBluesMan TDPRI Member

Apr 2, 2018
    Wales, UK.
    That pau ferro looks a lot nicer with the stain... Looks like a well used, vintage rosewood board.

4. rze99

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK

This is a used 60s Classic Tele on Ebay. Looks used in the other pics there are dings and saddle darkening. Possibly any excess stain wouldn't have gone by now .might buy it just to try the neck and satisfy my curiosity...

5. rze99

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Indeed... the way I like 'em.

6. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2017
    Washington
    Not bad. Much better than the Pau stripping.

7. AndrewG

AndrewG Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2007
    Exeter, England
    I dunno, I like wood to look like nature intended rather than disguised.

Telegoober, AAT65, Sofaplayer and 2 others like this.

8. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Yeah, I d go for not touching poisons for hours on end vs what I d prefer seeing. Plus the Pau I ve seen looks good, its just you re not use to it being where you usually see see something else.

Last edited: May 17, 2018 at 7:12 AM

9. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    It looks great but in all honesty the natural look of pau ferro does not bother me.

10. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    That looks cheap and I've seen guitars with fully painted fretboards, I like natural pau ferro. Although according to the internet any fingerboard that is not very dark brown is crap.

Telegoober likes this.

11. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    So it's stained? That wasn't clear to me from the OP. I will say, though, that I like that look a lot better. That's one of the things that I find odd about the 60's-style Teles with "rosewood" boards. Now that they're not using rosewood anymore, it just doesn't look right to me. The Pau Ferro is just too light (and also has a tendency to be streaky, as some have noted). I'd much prefer the look of ebony, but if one can get Pau Ferro to look like the above, that'd be fine, too.

I think it's a bit like if they no longer could use maple and had to use white oak or poplar or something. It just wouldn't look right.

12. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Over the last century, they've been staining ebony fretboards as dark ebony has become less and less available. Black Higgins India Ink does the trick.

In late '78 I saw a new Gibson "Custom Shop" (just team built on the regular line) Les Paul Custom II. It was a wacky combination of high end and low end features, like a very open-pored rosewood fretboard that had been dyed black.

13. DAKnox

DAKnox Tele-Meister

Aug 23, 2014
    Scotland
    The title of this thread suggests that Fender stain Pau Ferro boards but I don't think they do do they? Probably thrle previous owner stained it?

14. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2013
    NW USA
    I bet it doesn't feel very similar to a properly milled ebony fingerboard. I think the look of Pau Ferro is fine as is. I have a CS Tele Jr that has a Pau Ferro fingerboard. Looks & feels closer to rosewood than ebony.

Sofaplayer likes this.

15. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    It looks ok.

Still not sure why people dislike natural PF streaking. I happen to think PF has great aesthetic qualities, I think people are just so used to the 'standard' RW and Maple boards.

It's like G&L headstocks. Everyone not used to them, makes a fuss about how ugly they are. I've had G&L's for ~10 years, and I actually find the G&L headstock more appealing than the ugly Fender headstocks ;)

radiocaster likes this.

16. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 20, 2008
    Alabama
    Plenty of guys on the forums have çhosen to treat rosewood with oils that darken the wood. This does not emphasize grain patterns, it covers it to satisfy the user.

17. AndrewG

AndrewG Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2007
    Exeter, England
    Some people like uniformity and 'flawlessness' in wood. Nature, however, does not. I'm on nature's side.

Hiker, Telegoober and Teleterr like this.

18. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Well, nature, by it's nature, does not give a crap.
    Personally I don't like the dried out, lighter color fretboards we've all been seeing in the past few years. I have one Pao Ferro board that is a little lighter and streakier than I'd prefer, but I would not take a chance on using a blackening stain like this one on it. It's fine as is. Does anybody know how hard it is to remove the stain from dots and frets after staining?

Telegoober likes this.

19. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Come to think of it, they might. The Squier Vintage Modified Jaguars and Mustangs look like they have something on them.

20. marc2211

marc2211 TDPRI Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Switzerland/France
    I have a 2017 '60's classic' Tele that I received as a gift from my wife last year - Candy Apple Red with a Pau Ferro board.

The fretboard is very light (compared to rosewood or ebony) and you can see the natural wood streaks really clearly - however, I *also* still get a load of rub off onto my fingers after playing it, I so I guess it was also stained! (Less now, now but as I don't get enough time to play these days due to work, it's taken a lot more time to 'break in' the guitar than usual).

The Pau Ferro must have been *very* light to begin with if they stained it and it remained this clear.

I love the guitar and look either way - lovely playing guitar. Happy to post a pic if anyone's interested.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.