fenders squier cv series

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by julesyoung, Aug 3, 2011.

1. julesyoung

julesyoung Tele-Meister

...... the squier cv series

whats the odds , due to the runaway success of the cvs
    that within a year they,re re-badged as fenders ,
    with a corresponding price hike

discuss :D

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2011
  2. Esprit

Esprit TDPRI Member

........hmmmm.......interesting theory..........is there a precedent for that?

3. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Everybody rave about the Squier CV's, but the ones I've play aren't as good as a MIM Standard. A year ago or so I thought the Squier had better fretwork, but the recent MIM Standards have had top notch fretwork.
    The pots are switches aren't near as good as the ones on the MIM's.
    When the CV's first came out the retailed for $299, now that they sell for $349 you might as well step up to an MIM Standard for $499. The Fender gives you better electronics, a gigbag and a nicer pickguard for $150 more.

4. Twanginator

Twanginator Tele-Holic

My understanding is the price for Fender products is related to the where they are made...the cost of labor. They could make the same CV in Japan, Mexico or the USA, with a Fender label and charge accordingly, but they already do that in some respects. So I'm gonna guess they keep the Squire name on the CV Series, raise the price over time, but keep them below the domestic models.

5. bigjed

bigjed Tele-Holic

I was about to say the "dirty little secret" is cost of Labour. Sweat shops in South East Asia making decent quality Fender products almost the equal of first world factories has to be a concern for ethically minded buyers. Generally I'm not all that worried, I bought my step-daughter a MIC Squier - but for my personal use MIM is as third world as I'll buy. Although some of those CV bodies would make awesome Tele 12s (lose the Squier neck)... maybe sweat-shops is being a little over-dramatic, but you know what I mean..

6. Tremonti

Tremonti Tele-Meister

I think that model might be something Fender could easily work into their $500-700 sugg. retail range. I really like that MIM Standard quality control has gotten as good as it is. I think that is, and has been, one of their best selling guitars, and probably one of the most tested in-store. While it is not known for bearing upgraded parts, it probably helps the perception of Fender in general. Some people are very adament about any Fender that isnt MIA being not good.

I think one of the main things the Squier CV has popularity for is its low price tag. I think if it was redone under higher quality control and parts it would be reflected in the MSRP, and in turn, not being considered as big of a value. I think I played one at a local shop and thought it was pretty good!!! Doesnt it have a pine body?

7. PennyCentury

PennyCentury Poster Extraordinaire

1. The Fender Lite Ash Telecaster made in Korea

2. The Fender Koa Telecaster made in Korea

8. Anchoret

Anchoret Friend of Leo's

The "dirty little secret" is calculatedly reduced QC, not the cost of labor as such.

It's very complicated, but it's all based on customer expectation.

Face it: Cheap labor means that you could make a truly fantastic, state-of-the-art, perfect product with lots of hand-detailing and zero defects for a whole lot less than somewhere else.

For FMIC and most other gear corporations, this has NEVER been the objective.

The objective has been to produce so-so product at the low end and not get carried away with high quality when the consumer doesn't have any serious expectation of it. That way you'll have to pay much MORE for something better that you could have had for adding an hour's worth of cheap labor to detailing in the production routine of the original cheap product.

QC is a conscious management decision.

This isn't speculation on my part, but the actual marketing principle in use. I've talked to FMIC production managers about this off the record, and it's completely prevalent in the industry.

9. pdxjoel

pdxjoel Tele-Holic

Which is precisely the approach that the Eastman took. They build instruments the old-fashioned way, by hand with nitro finishes and beautiful woods for a fraction of what they should be charging. I have one of their 800-series mandolins and love it. Played their ES335 copy beside a Gibby, and preferred the Eastman hands-down.

10. john kleeman

john kleeman Tele-Holic

Wait 'ti you try their Martin OOO V knock off. Mighty friendly. Wait, I hear the thundering hoofbeats of a recurring thread!
    :eek:

11. edodo

edodo TDPRI Member

Fender owns those asian and low cost labor factory, they also decide what their output will be. They intentionally release guitars from different quality level regarding expectation of the customer/price paid. It's always been like that. If you think fender usa will allow japanese manufacturer to output a better guitar than theirs you are dreaming. Same goes for the mexican ones, it's all a matter of cost, profits, market.

If you can fine tune yourself the frets (perfect level, hand rolling the end, crown bevelling, nut filing) then the MIM is a perfect cheap guitar to upgrade almost to the quality of the us one.
    The only problem is poor resale value, it's always been that way cause you end up with a franken guitar, not apealing to the neophyte or the collector in years to come.
    If you don't mind the franken aspect to fine tuning your low cost labor guitar then I suggest buy a squier and make it perfect with the right tools and hardware.

12. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

I agree...partially - the Mex Stds do have lighter bodies and a heftier neck profile, but I'd heard they've gone back to ceramic pickups, which in a Tele, aint the way to go. The pickups in the CV, would be comparatively better than ceramics.

13. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

great point penny.

14. Chilao

Chilao TDPRI Member

How about the Squier 51 and the new Pawnshop series as another example?

15. julesyoung

julesyoung Tele-Meister

no , no precedent , just the fact that Fender must know by now that they,re onto a good thing
    asian factories churning out quality guitars , playable out of the box
    with no major issues ,
    they could have "Fender" in big letters on the headstock and charge accordingly

16. julesyoung

julesyoung Tele-Meister

not suggesting they do , of course , as Squier has always been the budget end of Fender , as Gibson has Epiphone etc
    I hope the cv range continues as it is , without
    a/ prices creeping up
    b/ quality going down

17. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Ae you suggesting an "American Vibe" series?:D
    Couldn't resist.
    Fender offers lots of guitars at just about everyprice point to meet the markets composite global needs. Aftermarket sales affirm these figures. Lower and mid range priced guitars offer great satisfaction. I get a lot of bang for my buck on the CV and MIM. Having said that, I would like to own a Custom Shop or higher end Fender model, again one day. Maybe after the boy is college educated.:lol:
    There is a difference in quality, materials as you go up the scale. Craftmanship is relative, but I would prefer somebody who has been doing this for 25 or 30 years, if given an option, no? I buy Fender because I think that what they offer is very fair for the price, and I have not had any issues with anything I've bought for the last , (damn you time!), almost 30 years.

18. teledaddyo

teledaddyo TDPRI Member

Chilao hit it spot on-
    The '51 was a $99 guitar when it was introduced. Fender saw that folks bought them like mad and now started making more under the Fender badge instead of the Squier badge and charge 7x what they did before.

19. esquire2

esquire2 Banned

A CNC machine really doesn't care what continent it's on.....just saying. Now let's pretend that EVH never existed, take his iconic striped/5150 guitars and put them for sale on CL/ebay, the exact guitar wouldn't bring 100 bucks.
    SRV chiseled out Number 1's trem cavity with a hammer and chisel, talk about QC issues.

20. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

The obvious solution is to ditch Mexican production and go Chinese.Mexico is rapidly going middle class according to newspaper and like Japan it out prices its self .If I were a CEO of Fender I would probably have done it already.
    I can see the day when China will make all other markets look minuscule and they may want Chinese made Fenders ,like Japan .They may even buy Fender one day .The US owes so much money thats its days as the worlds power house are over .Its financial system may well end up a rust belt . US customers may be a secondary market for Fender already .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.