Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender's Response - Player Tele Bridge/Re-stringing Issue

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by John C, Jul 19, 2018.

1. grizzlyblake

grizzlyblake TDPRI Member

Dec 22, 2018
    GA
    I also unknowingly bought one of the first run models that had this issue. Luckily my local shop took the guitar in full return since I caught it the first night I took it home and changed strings. I waited until they got the updated models and took one of them home this week. The updated bridges are much, much more solid and nicer. The bent steel saddles in addition to having the holes mismatched, also were very loose and rattley in the unit I had.

2. HappyHwy1owner

HappyHwy1owner Tele-Meister

Feb 7, 2011
    Independence, Mo
    Crazy that would make it through the prototype stage to full production without someone realizing that it wouldn't work...

3. Beech Creek Gary

Beech Creek Gary TDPRI Member

Jun 29, 2018
    Hawkins County, Tennessee
    They probably want to be sure that the body isn't misdrilled.

4. Beech Creek Gary

Jun 29, 2018
    Still waiting on my replacement guitar. I can't believe it's taking so long to come up with a butterscoth blonde.

5. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    I had to take a 3-color sunburst instead of a sonic red or else I would be waiting with you. Fender just didn't hold any back for any warranty replacements; any BSB or sonic red with the new bridge went out to dealers instead of going out for warranty replacements.

6. Beech Creek Gary

Jun 29, 2018
    I got a call from Campbell's yesterday & they said my replacement was in. I just went in to pick it up & the guy said that two came in, one to replace mine and one that they ordered and that I could have my pick of the two. One had the block saddles, which I chose, and the other the original bent steel saddles that you can't see the holes through. I asked if they came direct from Fender & he said yes. I find it incredible that Fender is still shipping guitars with this problem. Bye the way, the folks at Campbell's Morrell Music are great and took care of me even though I bought the original guitar from Sweetwater.

LocoTex likes this.
  7. JodanOrNoDan

JodanOrNoDan TDPRI Member

Jan 2, 2019
    US
    Glad to hear you are getting your problem sorted out to your satisfaction. Fender is definitely having some issues right now in the design and customer service areas. I am not real happy with them myself right now.

8. John C

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    Glad you got your Tele finally. This has been a mess.

Crazy, isn't it? Why are they still shipping Teles with the bent saddles from the warehouse and paying warranty rates to fix them (or replace them)?

While the replacement Tele I got is a fine guitar, the entire thing still leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth about this particular model. It didn't sour me on the company - I have had an American Performer Mustang since mid-December that is faultless. I'm only on the fence about getting used to the Mustang vs. Strats and Teles, but I'm leaning toward keeping it and selling off the Tele. But I got one of those 36-month "fixed payment"/no interest deals on the Tele (and the amp and other gear at GC - like $35/month on the card) so I might just throw the Tele into Open G and get my Keith on for a while while using the Mustang as my primary standard tuning guitar.

LocoTex and JodanOrNoDan like this.
  9. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    Wait they still ship it with these crappy saddles ? I have ordered tidepool at end of December. Still waiting for it

10. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    They probably think two out of three people won’t complain, so it’s cheaper not to fix them all.

tlsmack likes this.
  11. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    MA
    Wow, what a disaster. Think anyone at Fender got fired over this? Nah, probably promoted.

12. oceanblue

oceanblue TDPRI Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Florida
    I returned the first tide pool I got, the replacement was worse, returned for refund. I’m done with that model for now.

13. Ydwen Jones

Ydwen Jones TDPRI Member

Jan 2, 2019
    Amsterdam
    My Fender dealer told me they were sold out in no time and they had trouble getting enough guitars to keep up with demand.

And I think they may be right.

14. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    I was thinking about the same thing, they're much better than standards and new shades of colours made them sell in seconds. Hate to wait..

15. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

May 6, 2012
    England
    Fender have stuffed up majorly with this and won't publicly admit it, instead quietly rectifying the situation.

Must be driving the retailers crazy i should think.

16. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    What a screw up. I'd absolutely buy a G&L ASAT Fullerton now if I wanted a new USA tele style

17. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

May 6, 2012
    England
    I just wish F. would publicly admit it, and reassure customers that either the bridge would be replaced, or they would ship with the 'block saddle' bridges.

Nobody here in UK seem to be aware of the problem, and everyone seems to be stocking them with the bent steel affairs. Madness.

18. John C

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    USA ones are fine - the new American Performers have the same 3-saddle vintage bridge as the American Specials they replaced. Based on my brief play-through of the HS American Performer Tele I did last week I would also get the G&L ASAT Fullerton because the Yosemite Tele pickups left me flat and I would prefer the ASAT Classic MFDs over them. But I would prefer to turn back time and have a 2012-2016 American Standard Tele with the CS pickups over either of them (and the American Professional for that matter).

19. memiller

memiller TDPRI Member

Jan 9, 2019
    Texas
    The guitar manufacturer I worked for had some absolute garbage cheap guitars and we rejected about 20% of them in QC. One of the executives got huffy about this and came in to PERSONALLY INSPECT all of the guitars we rejected. Orange peel finishes, miscut nuts, misaligned tuners, finish cracks around the neck pocket, and others. She took a look at the pile we had and said "There aren't any problems here. Ship them out." 'Scuse me? "It's not a problem until the customer decides it's a problem."

Corporate mentality. Screw you, bottom line.

wblynch likes this.
  20. John C

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    Even Leo Fender had some of that attitude - that's actually what broke the original Music Man company. In case you don't know the history of Music Man, it started out as an amp company concept created by Forrest White and Tom Walker - both former Fender personnel (Walker was in Fender Sales with Don Randall). They brought Leo in to consult on their amp designs; Leo liked it and invested in the company (about 2 years before his non-compete with CBS expired). Once the non-compete was over Leo and Tom Walker designed the Sting Ray bass and went into instrument production. But Leo ran the instrument factory separately from the company's amp factory - Leo's company was called CLF Research, and they produced the instruments on contract (like say FujiGen built the MIJ Fenders, etc.).

Their contract for rejected instruments was that if the instrument was rejected by a dealer or a customer then it was warranty work and Music Man would pay Leo's company for the repairs. If an instrument was rejected by Music Man's separate CQ (Leo had his own QC as well) then Leo/CLF was on the hook for doing the repairs. MM started rejecting instruments for finish issues that Leo didn't think were issues, so he ended his partnership with MM (i.e. Walker and White). Eventually Leo started G&L with George Fullerton, and after about a year of Leo producing both lines he ended the production contract with MM (If you believe Walker, White and Sterling Ball CLF shipped over 2,000 purposefully defective MM instruments to force MM to break the contract).

memiller likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.