Fender's Response - Player Tele Bridge/Re-stringing Issue

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by John C, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Beech Creek Gary

Beech Creek Gary TDPRI Member

I dropped my tele off at the nearest authorized repair store yesterday. They were totaly unaware of the issue. You'd think that Fender would give their warranty network a heads up.

2. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It's being treated like one of those "hidden recalls" the auto industry is known for - you take the car in for maintenance and they tell you "oh by the way the black box on your car needs to be replaced; we're going to do it for free while we've got your car".

I got mine at Guitar Center; the Fender tech at my Guitar Center lied to me and said that "they won't warranty this" even though I had been in contact with Fender. Fender sent me to another dealer who took care of it.

3. Beech Creek Gary

I got a call from Campbell's Music in Johnson City about my Telecaster. Fender asked them to take 6 or 7 pictures of the bridge from different angles and decided to replace the guitar. No time frame on how long that will take.

4. John C

That's what happened with mine - Campbell's probably had to take measurements as well. If the guitar is too far out of spec the new saddles will still cover the holes when intonated properly. I decided not to wait for a replacement red and took a sunburst - which has worked out so far as I've brought home other Teles to compare to it, but I still wind up keeping the sunburst.

5. Beech Creek Gary

Mine was run of the mill butterscotch. Blonde so hopefully I won't have to wait long.

6. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

Just received mine today, what am I looking for? Does the issue only reveal itself when you are changing strings? I do NOT have the block saddles that someone posted a pic of. I have the one pictured in my avatar, no humbucker.

7. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

If this helps....

22DE0050-1513-4D1A-822F-FE2C9CABB4CF.jpeg 2B47DF4C-4D41-4607-A137-2B8AB7B1AFDE.jpeg 195C933C-699B-4A8C-97AC-5429F548EB0A.jpeg

8. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Great example of the problem. Your pictures are worth a million words.

If you're intonated correctly now, it's going to be impossible or a PITA to restring without throwing off intonation by having to move the saddles (adjusting the intonation screws) fore or aft to feed the strings through the body and saddle slots/holes.

And the string shouldn't have to bend like that to travel the distance from ferrule to tuner. That to me is the big issue. You might be able the pull the saddle up and snake the string through without adjusting the intonation screw, but the string shouldn't be under downward pressure of the saddle.

You should be able to see the body holes through the slots/holes in the saddles. Yours are mostly hidden, under the solid steel of the saddles.

Not good. They're basically being "pinched" there. A huge Fender F-Up.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    Fendereedo likes this.
  9. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

Geeze, first day with the guitar and I need to be calling Fender then about replacing the saddles? or the whole bridge? or the whole guitar?

10. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

Oceanblue - Nice color choice. As mentioned by Ira7, yours is the textbook example of the saddle problem. If you are otherwise happy with the guitar, ask your retailer to provide and/or install a bridge with the block saddles. If your retailer is unable to do this, take it to an authorized Fender service center.

11. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

If I'm given any kind of choice, what is best solution?

12. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

I got it through Amazon, so have to find a local dealer that can fix it. Thanks!

13. fjr4

fjr4 TDPRI Member

You could buy a mim standard tele bridge set with the saddles and intonation screws/springs for less than $20, then swap the saddles/screws yourself. Or look at another bridge if you don't like the block saddles.

Maybe fender will send you one but I doubt it. You could ask and see if they will do it.

oceanblue likes this.
  14. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

So I just got off the phone with Fender, the guy helping me, was nice, but had never heard of this issue, directed me to a local certified repair center, said they can contact Fender with any questions, and if they don't resolved it to call back. Odd though, that this guy was never informed, or claims not to know anything about it. Didn't get the sense he was covering anything up, and stated the same thing that has been said here, "why wasn't this noticed during the factory assembly/setup?!?! And yea, he agreed that shouldn't have ever happened, blah blah blah, and yes it would indeed be a PITA to change strings, etc.

15. fjr4

fjr4 TDPRI Member

From what I can see they literally just used the mim standard bridge plate on the player series, so the saddles/screws/springs should swap directly. Some people said they were told "it won't work and that it is out of spec" or something but I doubt it. Maybe the "tech" was just misinformed. Guitar center? I would have to see it myself to believe it.

16. John C

Some of the bodies are mis-drilled also - I think it's on the order of 10% where the holes are mis-drilled and just replacing the saddles won't fix the problem (in other words even the replacement saddles cover the holes). That is the way my red one was; they had to send me a replacement guitar.

17. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

Unless the rep started work today, I can’t believe he hadn’t heard of the problem. Regardless, I take it to a Fender authorized center and have them deal with it. No reason you should spend any money. I have not had a chance to play this model, but I have played plenty of the Standards, which this one resembles and they are a fine guitars. As a matter of fact, some will consider this version a step up. Good luck.

oceanblue likes this.
  18. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Ya know, in the good old days the three saddles never had a problem, occasional tuning issues but that has been dealt with rather elegantly recently.

I think if you keeps redesigning and redesigning these things you are putting pig on lipstick.

Heck I even owned an old MIM that had those six barrel saddles that worked well and still stayed within the basic design.

Just say'n

Gary

19. Jl425

Jl425 NEW MEMBER!

Hi all,

Recently bought one and within the first 2 weeks noticed this ridiculous problem. Thought I must have been missing something, theres no way something this rudimentary could have been over looked. Maybe it was just me being stupid, maybe there is a special technique? Nope. The damn holes don't line up. It is clear that its just a really poor design and massively surprising given that fender signed off on it. Incredibly hard to re-string, strings keep slipping from side to side and not to mention uncomfortable and scratchy. Absolutely hate the bent steel.

I rang fender and asked for replacement saddle to be shipped to me. Clearly they were aware of the issue and the response was that it had to be installed by Fender as they were unable just to just send over replacement parts. Took it back to where I bought it from (they were unaware of this issue and said I was the first to bring it back to them) and it took 4 weeks for it to be replaced and sent back. Obviously I wasn't thrilled at how long it took considering i'd just blew over 500 quid on it but they replaced it for one of the older block style saddles.

They absolutely blow the bent steel saddles out of the water in every way, can't see why anyone would prefer them. Everything lines up, the strings stay put and the spacing feels a lot better and more stable. For me it was worth the wait as I now love the thing, but it was a real effort on my part and something that I really cannot believe they let slip through the net.

20. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I can't understand why the hell they won't just mail out the block saddles.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.