Fender's Response - Player Tele Bridge/Re-stringing Issue

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by John C, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

After everything that has happened. I think I'll hang on before buying one of these now.

I was hankering after a polar white one with pf board, but I can wait ...

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  2. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Probably a wise choice - unless there is one locally that just really grabs you. I really like mine; I'm going to try to wait them out and see what the redesigned saddles look like then pick either them or the solid saddles to replace the small saddles currently on the guitar. I know I popped off about returning it, but I really didn't want to do that because I like this one. But I was going to return it if Fender wasn't going to address the issue with this model.

Lefty Addams likes this.
  3. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

Honestly Fender will change birdge saddles with Players Line. For actual Players you can get free Mexican Standard Bridge. Ill recive mine not sure when. Go for it, these players are outstanding. I wish i could afford two mire, one in Tidepool MN and third one in Polar White MN

4. Lefty Addams

I would rather have 'new' bent saddle bridge than block saddle. Like i say, I can wait.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  5. TommyJK

TommyJK TDPRI Member

Just restrung my Player Tele for the first time - one of the most frustrating ways to spend an hour. Found this thread and wanted to ask if there are any further updates on how Fender plans to resolve this problem. Also, has anyone tried replacing the stock Player saddles with Tusq saddles or do you just run into the same problem?

6. John C

Fender has changed the saddles to solid ones; you'll still see a mixture of Player Teles with the old saddles and Player Teles with the new saddles in stores. However, what I ran into was that there is a percentage of Player Teles where they are so out of spec that just replacing the saddles will not correct the problem - I've heard 10%-15% of them are in this category, but the majority of Player Teles will be corrected with a saddle swap.

If you take it to a Fender "Authorized Service Center" they will determine if the guitar can be remedied with a saddle replacement then either sent the Service Center the new saddles or send an entire replacement guitar.

Mine was in the percentage that had to be entirely replaced - if you see my post from yesterday I was really stuck in that they didn't have any replacements in my original color (Sonic Red) with no ETA of when more would be available. Since I didn't want to be without some guitar I took a replacement in my #2 color choice.

I don't know if the saddles are exactly the same as the old solid saddles found on the MIM Standards - they look similar, but these are supposed to be solid steel and I thought the ones on the MIM Standards were some kind of alloy (Fender never referred to them as steel).

OldGuy6873 likes this.
  7. RoCkstAr256

Honestly its not bad, just requires some work. Imagine i have had Schecter with poorly made fixed bridge, it was easy to get strings thought but saddles werent able to move right or left. Had to unscrew neck and readjust it too. Sold It for half price. Repaired and fixed.

Also i would like to inform, i be getting new player tele in november

8. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

It's not the end of the world but it's pretty dumb on a guitar that's been around for 60 years without ever having these problems before, and when there are probably 10+ other models of Telecaster for sale in 2018 and none of the others have this problem.

I play a Strat occasionally with the Saddles they stuck on the Player series. I find them inferior in every way to the MIM Std. Block saddles.. I don't get it at all. If I bought a Strat I wouldn't want these bent steel saddles either. They're just annoying and harder to put your palm on the bridge to control partial/full muting.

OldGuy6873 likes this.
  9. RoCkstAr256

Worst this is that these new player teles with block saddles wont be avaiable in Europe till 2019 January....uhh

10. OldGuy6873

OldGuy6873 Tele-Holic

I just found out Fender will be getting my guitar at their Warehouse on Nov.16, after which it *should* ship to the shop shortly therefore. Ugh...

11. Fender88

Fender88 TDPRI Member

I apologize if I'm missing the obvious or if this was posted someplace. I recently purchased a Player series new from Sweetwater (11/16/18). How do I tell if the saddle is the original design, or the new "better" design"? My tele was new stock as far as I can tell, so hopefully it is the re-design. Picture if it helps....

[​IMG]

12. Lefty Addams

They are bent steel saddles, so the faulty design is what you have.

The 'better' design are the 'block' saddles, which originally came on the MiM Standards.
    MiM.jpg

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  13. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

Except...I can see the string-through holes of the bridge clearly in the opening of each saddle. Either his intonation is off, or they have the holes drilled in the right spot on that guitar.

It does not appear that the saddle intonation screw would have to be adjusted at all in order to do a string change, like others have had to do.

14. Lefty Addams

Fine, don't believe me. I don't care mate.

15. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

He's got the bent saddles, and I'm sure his holes aren't drilled any differently.

So either his intonation IS off, or it's possible that this defect doesn't affect all models.

16. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Could it be that @Fender88 has a guitar that doesn’t have the traditional bridgeplate?

17. OldGuy6873

OldGuy6873 Tele-Holic

You have the faulty bridge saddles, but they may be in the right place based on the picture. You also have the Humbucker version of the Tele which I'm not sure was effected.

I would call Fender Customer Service and talk to them about the issue. If your guitar is effected, take your guitar to a Fender Authorized Repair Center (look online as the shop where you bought the guitar might be one) and ask them to contact Fender to see if they can retrofit the new bridge saddles.

They will need your guitar to make some measurements and then they will be able to tell you if they can just replace the saddles, which they will do free, or if they will need to return the guitar and you will get a new one.

My guitar, for example, had to be replaced, as the bridge was drilled incorrectly and the new saddles could not be retrofitted. So I had to return the guitar and wait for a replacement. Took about 2 months.

Your other option is to just return the guitar altogether and wait until your store is stocked with the guitars with the new saddles.

18. John C

Fender88 - You're absolutely fine; the HH version was not effected. The saddle problem was only on the single-coil Tele; the HH Tele has a hard-tail Strat-style bridge which is fine with the bent steel saddles (just like the Strat tremolos).

No need to contact Consumer Relations.

19. Lefty Addams

Ok I concede, I was wrong, but in my defence I wouldn't know of that bridge, being lefty and that model not being available for left handers .....

20. John C

Yeah; Fender does shortchange the leftys with that - both models available and the colors you can get on the few lefty models.

I guess someone rushed through the "regular" Tele at the last minute and didn't think through the ramifications of just slapping Strat-style bent steel saddles on the existing MIM Standard Tele bridge plate.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.