Fender's Response - Player Tele Bridge/Re-stringing Issue

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by John C, Jul 19, 2018.

1. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I got a response from Brett Arney at Fender Consumer Relations about the restringing issue with the Player series Teles.

They are aware of the issues; he specifically referred to it as with "first run Mexican Player Telecasters". What they will do is replace the bent steel saddles with the block saddles as were used on the MIM Standard Teles (and the MIM Deluxe Teles) under warranty if you take it to an Authorized Fender Service Center or they will send you the saddles if you want to do it yourself.

It was unclear from his email to me if this is what Fender was going to do going forward or if they are going to redesign the bent steel saddles for future runs, so I asked for a clarification. I'll let you know what they say.

Kreepy, Lefty Addams, FlyFast and 4 others like this.
  2. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Good. I'm glad to hear that.

3. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Right on.

4. Edsel Presley

Edsel Presley Tele-Holic

SO, what's the problem again?

5. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Holic

It is really nice as for Fender. However you can live with it

6. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

If you want to use the bent steel saddles then the string through holes need to be moved so that the strings come up through the space in the saddle when properly intonated.

How else could you possibly fix the problem on future runs using the bent steel saddles?

7. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I did a setup on a Strat today that has this kind of saddle... I just don't get it vs the "standard" saddles that were on the Am. Standard or MIM. Standard.

I like the old ones better even if you ignore this string issue. Fender could fix this with a little change to the saddles or if they're sticking with these saddles they could just change the body and drill the holes slightly further forward assuming they can do that without screwing up intonation/scale length. (My guess is they can do it.). But they'd break compatibility with other kinds of bridges. The ones on the Strat I set up ended up with the bolt heads sticking out of the top of the saddles on the treble strings, unlike a MIM/Am Std saddle. No problems with the holes of course but that's cause it's a totally different type of bridge!

I get that people want the classic 3-saddle Tele bridge but if you're getting one with 6 I don't see how these are better than the "Standard" ones, the standard ones don't have the bolt heads sticking out and are a smoother platform to rest the heel of your hand and move it back and forth for muting. Not a huge difference, I didn't have much trouble playing the Strat but I still like the standard style better.

8. John C

The slots in the saddles do not line up with the holes drilled in the bridge plate for the strings to pass through. As jfgesquire says you have to move the saddles back slightly to feed the string through, then move the saddles back to point where they are intonated.

This issue is only on the Tele; all the Strats and the HH Tele (which uses a Strat hardtail bridge) are fine - and of course the Jazzmaster and Jaguar don't string through the back so it was never a consideration for them.

They would have to make a new saddle that would be say 1/4" longer so the oval opening for the string can be reasonably aligned over the hole in the bridge plate for the string; they would have to use a shorter adjustment screw as well.

I suspect Fender will just say "sorry" and start shipping them with the solid saddles when they process the next batch of Player Teles.

I'm definitely keeping mine; I'll just have the saddles replaced under warranty when I need a string change (and because I hate restringing standard tuners I'm going to put on some Fender locking tuners as well - I did that to my last American Standard Tele back in 2013).

9. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

'
    Here's a solution:

Use three compensating brass saddles...

IMG_3801.JPG

Problem solved!

'

10. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Holic

I rather have 6 Saddles like on Standard MiM

Evil Funk, jordans0nly and FlyFast like this.
  11. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

Gosh this an interesting situation. Why would they bring out a bridge only to have it replaced as soon as people say they don't like it. To get something to market as important as not being able to change strings easy. Never known that from Fender, John ...

12. John C

No kidding; you can move the saddles but it still seems to me that they wouldn't have brought it to market simply because it would cause a slight delay in processing each unit in the factory.

13. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yah super weird.. you'd have thought someone at the factory would have put the prototype together and immediately said it sucked to get the strings in the very first time the guitar was strung up, and it would have been changed immediately.

The effort to just stick with the old standard saddles at that point would have been trivial. It's like there was some overwhelming marketing driven desire to change the saddles just for change's sake. If you look at these guitars AFAICT if they hadn't changed the saddles the only change from the MIM Std. would have been the pickups & colors, which still would have been nice but they really wanted to call out the difference.

edit:

They have other changes so the saddles seem more arbitrary... the 22nd fret is a meaningful change and it's got the F-plate and slightly different shaped body too. It's still got the 0.8mm narrower nut width than the American guitars though.

kdmerchant likes this.
  14. John C

I just got a follow up from Brett - evidently they are designing revised bent steel saddles for the Player Telecaster, but he didn't have an ETA of when they would be available. So for now they are offering the Deluxe saddles, but they will be offering revised saddles at some point in the future.

Lefty Addams likes this.
  15. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

They may have messed this up, but you can't say Fender's not responsive to customers.

16. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

Interesting. I always thought that those bent steel saddles had a vintage thing of their own going on, back to when they had the pat pend stamp.

In fact looking at pictures they seem to be the same size/dimensions of all the other Telecaster bent steel saddles.

Now we'll have the confusion of one type of saddle that kind of looks like the others, but really is only made for one specific model.

17. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Meister

I would go for the block saddles without aftet thought. The grub screws always stick out from the s shaped/bent saddles. Drives me nuts. Talk about poor design.......

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  18. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

I guess they'll have short ones for American Teles and Strats, and long ones for Player Teles. I'm not sure about different widths, because I can't keep track of those.

But I'm with @Les Paul lover above, anyway. I don't want any of 'em. Gimme block saddles anytime.

danpan likes this.
  19. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'll take three barrels on a Tele, and bent steel on Strats. No sintered block saddles for me.

20. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

I have a suspicion that, along with earlier reports of poor factory qc and stores having to return new stock to Fender, production was rushed. I also suspect that Fender would have known about this issue before shipping stock, but deadlines had to be met. The people who string the things up at the factory must surely have noticed that something was not right and reported it. I'm just guessing of course.

Lefty Addams likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.