Fender's new V-Mod pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by hdvades, Apr 10, 2017.

1. quartermiler45

quartermiler45 Tele-Meister

Are these tele pickups RWRP?

2. bluzkat

bluzkat Tele-Holic

I've got two AM Pro Teles, I couldn't get along with the V Mods and they were changed out. One received a set of AV 64s, the other got a set of Fralin Split Blades. Things sound much better now to my ears.

I didn't get along with the Fat 50s pickups that came in a couple of my Strats either and they were changed also.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  3. RYAN1987M

RYAN1987M Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

What do you think of the AV '64s compared to the VMods?

4. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

You're on my wavelength. I find the V-mods to be a bit overwound. Less musical. In the alder 64, those 64 pickups are bliss.

5. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic

So the Jazzmaster pickups are somewhat unpopular because they're basically overwound strat pickups (or Alnico pole P90s) very similar to the ones people have been complaining about on MIJ JMs for years. The first photos are pictures of the actual pickups. The second is the MIJ JM pickup next to a traditional JM pickup. I haven't tried the pickups, but I have heard the complaints. Even if some people like these pickups, they're clearly not what you want for a traditional JM sound.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

https://mmguitarbar.wordpress.com/2...american-pro-jazzmasters-problematic-pickups/

beyer160 likes this.
  6. Crazed Fandango

Crazed Fandango TDPRI Member

At the weekend, I bought a new US Tele with these pickups in.

These as great pickups; really clear and full sounding whether played overdriven or clean.

My other tele has Dimarzio Twang Kings in, but at the moment, I prefer the flexibility of the V mods.

It all depends on what you're trying to achieve.

7. Crazed Fandango

Crazed Fandango TDPRI Member

Duplicate

8. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

Having lived with my AmPro for about a year and a half - and having compared it to several other teles - my thoughts are that I'm actually happy with the neck pickup, but I'm unable to get a sound I like out if the bridge. It's just too corpulent. Moreover,bi don't know whether mine has the magnets installed correctly, but the wound strings sound muffled a lot of the time.

I did try clipping the treble bleed circuit, but things sounded far worse and the rapid drop-off volume pot taper became more apparent, so back it went.

On the bright side, I only have to replace one pickup now....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.