Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender's new V-Mod pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by hdvades, Apr 10, 2017.

1. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Mar 6, 2016
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I have an American Special, love the Texas Special pickups but not the modern C neck. Got an American Professional last week. The new deep C neck is wonderful but I'm having a hard time getting used to these new V-Mod pickups. I really don't want to buy a set of Texas Specials for a $1500 guitar I just got and wonder if it's just me. To anybody has has one of these new AP Tele's or has played one...what is your opinion of these new pickups?

VB Tele likes this.
  2. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

Feb 13, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    I've tried the Strat version over at GC and was not very happy with the sounds I was getting. The new pickups tended to break up too early for my taste. Very similar to my take on humbuckers.
    I can see their appeal for somebody going for distortion though.

3. Dakota3711

Dakota3711 TDPRI Member

Apr 17, 2017
    Minnesota
    I just got the butterscotch tele a couple of months ago. Love everything about it, except for the pickups. They just seemed weak and thin to my ears. I swapped them out for SD Quarter Pounders. Not sold on them yet. Just ordered a Lollar Vintage for the neck and a Special for the bridge. Should have them by the end of the week.

4. stephen78

stephen78 Tele-Meister

Mar 13, 2016
    Michigan
    I just got an American Pro Tele recently and I love the V-Mod pickups...but I'm going for a traditional twangy Tele tone. I think it just depends on what kinda tone you want. Turning the tone down on the bridge really fattens it up if that's what you need.

Gibson and hdvades like this.
  5. Dakota3711

Dakota3711 TDPRI Member

Apr 17, 2017
    Minnesota
    Loaded the Lollars in today. Opted not to install the treble bleed circuit. The original factory electronics had it installed. I installed one with the SD Quarter Pounders. What I'm hearing today, I'm not sure I'm interested in installing one in again. Running it straight into a Marshall Jub and it's sounding fantastic!

chronax and Derek Kiernan like this.
  6. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Mar 6, 2016
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I turned down the tone and the volume also then cranked up the amp a little more. Sounding better for me. Good idea...thanks.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    Gibson, VB Tele and stephen78 like this.
  7. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    No experience with the Teles, but I tried the "American Professional" Jazzmaster and thought the pickups were absolutely awful. Jazzmasters are naturally bright, but these sounded tinny like an AM radio- the pickups in the Squier Jazzmasters blow the doors off them. I wasn't really impressed with the other "features" of this model, either. Maybe they didn't screw up the Teles, but man did they blow it with the Jazzmasters.

8. Bakis

Bakis TDPRI Member

May 2, 2017
    Thessaloniki, Greece
    I tried today the American Special Tele side by side with American Professional Tele. Both neck pickups sounded nice to my ears. But bridge V-Mod sounded much better to me. Sweet sounding. Texas Special felt too harsh for me.

However, nobody will tell you how you should feel with a specific sound. It is matter of personal taste. =)

9. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    I haven't played through one yet, I've been meaning to go by the local GC and see if they have any in stock, mostly interested in the Strat.
    I've read a lot of positive reviews of the American Professional Strat on The Gear Page, not that that means anything, pickups are a personal preference.

And no you shouldn't have to change pickups in a brand new $1500 guitar.

10. Seahag

Seahag NEW MEMBER!

Jul 20, 2017
    Texas
    I received my 2017 Natural w/rosewood. I also had to experiment a bit with the V-mods. When the tone knob is set to 9-10, the sound is really bright and almost harsh. Try setting the tone around 4-5 (even 2-3 sounds good) and turn your amp up bit to get the tubes cranking. Use the volume to trim down the loudness. This worked for me and it gave broader use of the volume and tone knobs.

11. Seahag

Seahag NEW MEMBER!

Jul 20, 2017
    Texas
    If you have any desire to change out your V-mod pups, I would be glad to buy them from you. Chris

audiopablo likes this.
  12. guitfiddles

guitfiddles TDPRI Member

Jul 12, 2017
    TEXAS
    I've had my American Pro Tele for close to a month and play it every day. I really like the pickups. Before the tele my go to guitar was my little brown stratocaster with Texas Specials but since I got the tele I haven't even touched my strat. Everything about it is just perfect - especially that solid rosewood neck. But back to the pickups. I like all 3 positions. I find myself playing in the middle a lot. There's a special kind of shiny chime that my ears love with both pickups on. I just bought a pine stratocaster yesterday for my son's birthday. It's a gorgeous guitar but the pickups don't sound anywhere even close to as good as the v mods in the American professional tele.

13. MadMaxie75

MadMaxie75 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Jun 27, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Just a note. This guitar comes with 0.022μF capacitor from the factory. I swaped that out for a 0.047μF and to me that made a huge difference. I did lose a litte je ne sais quoi from the neck pickup, but overall it sounds WAY better. All my band members commented on it too.

Odd thing is the guitar sounds less thin with 0.047, when it should be the other way around. Go figure.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  14. BlackCatBonz

BlackCatBonz TDPRI Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Cobourg, ON
    I have the American Professional Telecaster... I absolutely love the V Mod pickups. They’re definitely a bit quieter than my Les Paul pickups, but I expected that. I also like the fact that they aren’t trying to imitate a humbucker output.
    I was playing with some guys last week and they thought that the Tele sounded pretty sweet.

15. IANSTL

IANSTL TDPRI Member

Dec 25, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I just put these pickups in a mexican tele. Classic series 50's white lacquer version. I picked up a used set and was a little hesitant because I have read some reviews that weren't flattering. I wasn't sure what to think at first, but after putting them against my other two telecasters (one with Klein 52's and another with stock Fralins) they cover the same sounds very well. They bridgeis a touch darker, I don't mean it is a dark pickup, so with a small bump on the amp with the EQ and it was right there with the other two. The neck pickup is a little underwound so it isn't as dark as some tele necks. I really don't understand were guys are coming from say they are thin or weak. They are a touch darker in the bridge and a touch brighter in the neck, which closes the disparity between the two pickups characteristics some. Any voicing difference is very slight and can be compensated for with the amps EQ. Overall great pickups and they are staying in. My .02

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.