Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fenders "New" 5E3 - The '57 Deluxe Head

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by TheRumRunner, Jan 10, 2014.

1. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

Jul 17, 2007
    Virginia
    that would be a not bad price if it came with a cab.
    we're talking a $100 weber speaker and a $200 tweed pine cab, come on Fender!

2. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

Jul 17, 2007
    Virginia
    5e3s are pretty loud, and most gigs are mic'd so yeah they can work for gigs if you dont need to play very clean.

I want a 5e3 head and cab and my 5e3 combo running together-that would be cool, and loud

3. figaro

figaro Tele-Meister

May 18, 2010
    Sweet Carolina
    It has enough volume for smaller rooms and any room if you mic it. It's weakness is it's low amount of clean headroom. If you only need overdriven to distorted sounds it's an awesome amp but if you need clean, you' probably need another amp.

4. daveyboy

daveyboy Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2012
    Victoria BC Canada
    I like the head cab design.
    It looks cool,
    The specs say it has 2 parallel 8 ohm jacks.
    Running it into two 8 ohm cabs would be loud enough for me for sure.
    Anyone on this board making head cabs like that??

5. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    The DRRI head is literally the head unit of a combo put in a smaller box. Photos from the retailers show that the speaker jacks are still labeled as if there's an internal and external speaker. More importantly, the tubes are underneath the chassis, so this "head" does not enjoy the ventilation that a proper head would have with the tubes sitting up on top of the chassis for heat to go up and out the vents. Just something to consider, basically Fender has a different approach to configuring their "heads" than other manufacturers.

On the other hand, I like the idea of lunchbox heads. I already have a 2x12 cab and a few heads to play around with. It makes sense not to collect bigger boxes by buying a combo every time. And heads are perhaps less prone to developing rattles from the vibration punishment of a combo.

Then again, these heads apparently don't have different output transformer taps for different ohm settings, so it's a shame that you're quite restricted in what speakers or cabinets you use. Again, they weren't designed as true heads but are simply repackaged head-units from known combo amps. Selecting 4, 8, or 16 ohm outputs would be something you'd expect from a boutique, custom, kit, or modified amplifier, but apparently is not a feature that Fender thinks the market wants.

6. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 14, 2004
    New England
    Fender missed the boat on this at least once before, back in '62.

Nigel Tufnel aka Pete Townshend asked Jim Marshall,

"Can you make it go to 11? That's one louder, innit? While you're at it make it black. Black is rock 'n' roll. Those Fender amps look like me dad's hunting jacket."

Nigel apparently wasn't good at math. Tweeds go up to 12, stock.

The resulting Marshall amps became the rock 'n' roll standard for the next 50+ years.

What comes around goes around. Mr. Townshend was using tweed Bandmasters last time I checked.

Yes, I have. No, I don't. Not usually.

The tweed Deluxe is a perfect package for a grab and go amp. Perfection is an elusive critter and you don't mess with it once you find it.

It's much, much more useful to have an old alnico speaker in a 1x12" combo for home use and the ability to plug it into a 4x12" if you want more. The single 12" speaker in the stock cabinet doesn't make it much bigger or a lot heavier. It makes it a lot more useful. Further, if the amp is "married" to a single 12" speaker selected for best tone it's difficult to screw it up.

7. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 24, 2008
    New Zealand
    Which was exactly why I bought an Ampeg GVT15 head a couple of years ago. It has outputs for 4, 8 & 16ohm cabs - and sounds damn fine into the bargain! If Ampeg can do it, I don't see why Fender can't.

8. barfoden

barfoden Tele-Meister

May 30, 2013
    Sweden
    The fenders are a little too expensive IF you ask me....
    Go with something like lil dawg amps... His prices are really fair for a handwired amp... He makes an option on the 5e3 where you can substitute the 6v6 with 6l6 for 25 watts..

He also have a blackface amp with reverb in either a 22w version or with 6l6gc tubes for a total of 50w IF a loud clean amp disired...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.