Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fenders "New" 5E3 - The '57 Deluxe Head

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by TheRumRunner, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Zillinois

Zillinois Friend of Leo's

Feb 25, 2009
    Seattle
    Hmm, I thought those had 80 watt Celestions in them, I have one though it's not tweed. I might have to try it tonight with my '57 deluxe

2. jmontgomery

jmontgomery Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2006
    ardmore, ok
    You forgot insurance and benefit costs for the employees.

3. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 24, 2008
    New Zealand
    There are all sorts of factors coming into play when any manufacturer puts a price on any product. Smaller manufacturers tend to have lower overhead costs than larger ones do and can price their products accordingly. One of the factors is what the market will pay for a product.

But ultimately, it's down to the individual consumer to decide whether it's important to them to have a Fender badge on their amp or guitar or whether they're happy with any other name on the product. If Fender can charge a premium for their 'branding' then good luck to them.

If you don't want to pay that premium, don't buy the product. End of story.

4. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

Feb 20, 2009
    Arkansas
    I'll say one thing this sure has me jonesing for a 5E3.

5. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

Jul 17, 2007
    Virginia
    i like them. a closed-back 5e3 might be loud enough for a drummer.

of course the price is dumb but what did you expect, $500?

6. TheRumRunner

TheRumRunner Tele-Afflicted

I thinking the bitching over price is a valid concern, Fender is not the only company out there and they must compete. For example, a hand wired (in Vietnam) AC30HW has a MSRP of $2200 and a street price of $1599. A VOX AC15HW is $1600/$1199

It's simply a question of value for the money and IMHO Fender missed the boat on this one.

I'd very interested in how many EC's they have sold. I know in my local large format music store, they have been dust collectors BECAUSE OF THE PRICE.

DW

7. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Garner, North Carolina
    Probably going to have to find a NOS 5Y3 for the tweed Deluxe to get the B+ voltage down where it belongs, also expect you will have to buy a 12AY7 for V1.

Those are very nice looking packages, but that pricing is just too much for me.

8. EdMax

EdMax Tele-Meister

Mar 18, 2008
    Northern Illinois

Not really,, I put that in the "M" category.

I have no problem with them stating an MSRP of $2600.00 for a 5E3 head,, Street price will be lower but still EXPENSIVE.
    Branding = Premium $$
    We may not like it, but there are lots of cork sniffers who will only buy by Brand regardless of price.
    Since they ALWAYS drop models like this, they end up being limited in numbers.
    When MF & GC starts blowing out the end of run, pricing will be fine.

9. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 24, 2008
    New Zealand
    Taking that last point about amps such as these being dropped quickly because they're too expensive for the marketplace, thereby making them somewhat rare at the same time, this also is a valid reason for buying one of these amps.

In the same way that a 59 Les Paul is beyond the realms of mere mortals, this may well happen with these rare amps that Fender are producing.

Compare it to an original 57 Deluxe which has been played but well maintained over the years. How much would that be worth now - and how much would it have cost in 1957?

So, why not buy one, enjoy the tones you get from it, look after it and in years to come, you've got something that you can sell which will have retained its value through its rarity value?

10. Zillinois

Feb 25, 2009
    Seattle
    I have the previous combo RI, and it is plenty loud enough to play hard rock with a drummer.

11. Tele Ted

Tele Ted Tele-Holic

May 14, 2012
    Kern County, CA

12. DTPBUSCHPILOT

DTPBUSCHPILOT Tele-Afflicted

Jul 21, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    Also in the immortal words of Stan Lee "Excelsior!"

13. Zillinois

Feb 25, 2009
    Seattle
    "Taking that last point about amps such as these being dropped quickly because they're too expensive for the marketplace, thereby making them somewhat rare at the same time, this also is a valid reason for buying one of these amps." -

This is actually smart business, as it drives the laws of supply & demand.
    The Fender brand is worth something, or the all the clones in the world wouldn't have happened in the first place. Fender did this with the Tweed Bassman RIs back in the '90s, and gee, what is everyone making clones of now.

If Fender only sells 100 of these, they have likely covered the cost of building/marketing them, as I'm sure it's probably one lonely guy in a small corner of the shop, assembling these to order.

Ok, the defense rests, and just for the record the EC series were way spendy for what they were.

14. surlydude

surlydude TDPRI Member

May 13, 2003
    Not to sound whiny, but for that kind of money, the 5E3 head should IMO have impedance switching instead of just 8 ohms.

15. wtk0315

wtk0315 Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2013
    Houston area
    Umm...not to defend fender's ridiculous pricing but you should be able to operate plenty of options at 8 ohms

16. Trev14

Trev14 TDPRI Member

Jan 28, 2013
    California
    I just watched a video on youtube from Premier Guitar at NAMM and the guy in the interview said street price would be $1899. So still high, but a good chunk off the MSRP.

17. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Waubeka Wisconsin

Yeahbut, then they'd have to utilize a tapped transformer and a switch, and MSRP would be $5000.00........;);)

Kidding, I know that stuff costs money to make....

18. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

Apr 14, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Couldn't the same be said for every other low volume product line: 65 Amps, Divided by 13, Dr. Z, Two Rock, Bad Cat, ..... If they wanted to sell a bunch of them they would lower the price.

Companies have many and varied reasons for the way they fill out a product catalog. Most high end items are more about brand image than significant profits. My guess is GM could drop the Corvette line and not miss a beat financially, but they want the image that car brings.

Possibly adding a $2,600 item will provide a contrast which makes the $1,000 segment seem quite reasonable.

19. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    I think these high factory prices is a good thing for independant builders. They can build you anything the factory can it a more reasonable price and still make a buck.
    I'll bet you can buy 5e3 heads all day long for half Fenders msrp and get hand wired perfection and the best of the best componants, built with pride to last 100 years.

20. Trev14

Trev14 TDPRI Member

Jan 28, 2013
    California
    12 watts though... will that be able to keep up? For $1899, I'm not looking for a practice amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.