Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fenders "New" 5E3 - The '57 Deluxe Head

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by TheRumRunner, Jan 10, 2014.

1. TheRumRunner

TheRumRunner Tele-Afflicted

I don't see any mention of this here yet. Fender just announced a head version of the ever popular 5E3.

http://www.fender.com/en-CA/series/custom/57-deluxe-head-120v/

Hand-Wired all-tube circuitry on eyelet board, late '50s 5E3 circuit, 5Y3 rectifier tube, genuine lacquered tweed covering topped off with vintage brown/gold grille cloth and leather strap handle, deluxe fitted cover included, solid pine cabinet,

[​IMG]

There was also a head version of the DRRI

[​IMG]

DW

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2014

2. TheRumRunner

TheRumRunner Tele-Afflicted

Gulp....

MSRP $2599.99 on the lil Deluxe

DW

3. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 19, 2011
    United Kingdom
    The DR is a small amp, don't quite see the point in reducing it further to a head.

Now a Twin head/Bandmaster Reverb RI....

4. vibrasonic

vibrasonic Tele-Afflicted

At those prices I'd be looking at some real vintage stuff.

5. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    That is just stupid money. I get that company's have to pay bills too, but that is ridiculous.

I know a retired amp tech that could build 5-6 of those for that price and probably 3-4 combos for that price. And he has the resume to back top tier work...retired from Fender and led the R&D department on the EC series amps, as well as won best innovated amp design at NAMM one year.

Fender needs to check themselves a little here...

And I'm an not anti Fender or big business...but this is just ridiculous...did I say ridiculous.

6. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's

Or have Muchxs build you a 5E3, like I'm doing.

7. Serenity23

Serenity23 Tele-Holic

Dec 1, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Spendy, but i'd like one of each and a couple of 2x12 cabs.

8. ProToneThinline

ProToneThinline Tele-Holic

Jun 27, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I agree. I love the concept, but you can have one built for WAY less than half of that.

9. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Aug 13, 2007
    ME
    I'm sure you will be very pleased with that one - love mine!:)

I understand that it costs more to have a big company overhead, etc. but just can't understand why the Fender heads MSRP are that high!:confused:

10. EdMax

EdMax Tele-Meister

Mar 18, 2008
    Northern Illinois

Part of the reason is shipping & insurance claims. When manufacture ships an item and it gets damaged the insurance only pays the Manufactures Replacement Value

There is a huge difference in the Replacement Price/Cost Vs MSRP.

Years ago in my fiberglass fab shop we had several aircraft parts that shipped all over the country. Damaged items were fully insured for the MSRP but the claims department would only pay the actual replacement cost.

M Manufacture
    S SUGGESTED
    R Retail
    P Price
    Nobody ever pays the retail "S"

11. Zillinois

Zillinois Friend of Leo's

Feb 25, 2009
    Seattle
    I'd like to see what cabinets they put out for these.

12. Tatercaster

Tatercaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    I took an old Silvertone 1483 head and made my own Deluxe head. :) No reverb, no tremolo, but it had bass and treble controls on both channels. I swapped out the 6L6's for 6V6's and wired it up like a blackface Fender. :D

13. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

Feb 20, 2009
    Arkansas
    The spec page suggests using the Hot Rod 112 Tweed cab.

14. stevieboy

stevieboy Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    the valley
    M also stands for math though, and after you do it, that's still a lot of money for a 5E3 head.

I'm generally not critical of pricing from companies like Fender, I can either afford it or I can't, but that one has even me gasping a little.

15. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

Feb 20, 2009
    Arkansas
    I have the CS Tweed Twin 57, but bought it used at half the major retailers selling price new. It is like new NOS or whatnot.

I guess we have to have one built or wait. Oh well.

16. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    Yeah your sentiment is really how I feel about most stuff--you afford it or don't. And usually if I'm after something and I can't afford it, I can either leave it alone, or figure out a way to get something comparable for less, or just save and get it when I have the money.

But this is just ridiculous. $2599.00 MSRP (which probably means a street of $2-2200.00) is just stupid for a 15 watt head.

Does Fender assume that they either can, or should be priced higher than booteeq makers? These prices seems to suggest that Fender brass feels they should be the high priced leader...even above booteeq. This in and of itself is a unique pricing strategy for a major corporation...consider the custom marketplace within your product segments and price your mass produced goods higher...

While I am not that proficient in all things business, I do work in the business side of things...this just seems like strange pricing strategies...

17. tiskit86

tiskit86 Friend of Leo's

Jan 6, 2011
    Oakland
    The pricing is strategic, not about manufacturing costs. It will cost Fender much less to produce that amp than even the best small boutique builder (who likely does it better and with more personal cust. service). Fender's problem is that most of the market these days doesn't see them as that kind of top tier brand. I bet the Custom Shop doesn't produce much net income either - it's there to make the brand look better. Their margin on these kinds of products are completely whack and way out of line w/ value, other than for the buyer who has psychologically bought in to the image.

18. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 24, 2008
    New Zealand
    Funny how, whenever Fender brings out an amp like this the first thing that people jump on is the price! And then go on to slag off Fender and proclaim that you'd be better buying a clone of whatever it is.

Isn't it just as well that Fender don't pay any regard to this bitching nonsense on internet forums or they'd never release any new products for fear of being criticised.

I think it's a good idea to release these head versions of the Deluxe and DRRI as it'll allow players to mix and match speakers and cabinets to suit their requirements.

When I had a DRRI, it didn't seem all that much easier to lug around in and out of the car than my Bassman RI so having a head version would have made a lot of sense.

You can get one of these heads and add a 2 x 12 or 4 x 12 cab to suit whatever you want. So these might be a bit more versatile than the combo versions.

19. tiskit86

tiskit86 Friend of Leo's

Jan 6, 2011
    Oakland

I think it's a good idea too. But if they really wanted to sell a bunch of them, they'd have priced 'em accordingly. Sorry if the slagging ruffles your feathers.

It's a 5e3. There is nothing special about that amp besides it's history.

20. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2012
    Newfoundland
    I think I'll stick with the handwired clone I got from Kijiji for $300. :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.