Fender WHY!!!!!!!!! Ramparte Speaker Change Nightmare.

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by NMore, Apr 19, 2019.

1. NMore

NMore Tele-Meister

Well to say I was not one of the lucky ones that were able to just unscrew the locking ****** speaker nuts on this amp would be the understatment of my life! It took me 3 hours last night to remove everything (Amp chassie, Speaker baffle, Grill Cloth staples, and crap Speaker/Locking nuts, microphonic power tube) So I got this amp in trade and I hated the sound of the original speaker. Talk about farting overdrive sounds. Plus the cab had a buzzing that I couldn't fix with tightening screws, so I went ahead and took it apart. Here are some picks of what I took off and that was only have of what I took off the amp to get the speaker out. Anyway put it all back together, and the amp sounds amazing, and no weird buzz. Crisp Fender cleans and smooth crunch.
    upload_2019-4-19_7-31-47.png
    upload_2019-4-19_7-32-19.png
    upload_2019-4-19_7-32-55.png
    upload_2019-4-19_7-33-24.png

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  2. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

Why??? Low production cost, not ease of servicing ... AKA disposable...

3. NMore

NMore Tele-Meister

Funny thing is they made it look so pretty with the drape cloth on the amp, but made it an absolutely ugly PITA to upgrade.

4. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

If the amp breaks under warranty, they replace it ... If you mod it, you void the warranty ... Just business ... Nothing personal ...

noah330 likes this.
  5. NMore

NMore Tele-Meister

I think the main problem cept for the crappy speaker is that the baffle board is pretty close to balsa wood in consistency so those locking bolts come loose and spin around in the wood when you try unscrewing the nuts. All in all it worked out and now I have a nice 1x12 Champ.

6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The “Hamper”.

That and the “Retro Restaurant” amp (Vaporizer , Which to me, always looked like something that would be sitting on the shelf at a retro themed chain restaurant)

Funny that out of all those pawnshops amps the Excelsior was the star. And even that is not that great.

7. Believer

Believer Tele-Meister

I have one of each (Ramparte, Vaporizer, and Excelsior). I like all of 'em. I picked 'em up used, and got 'em cheap, so I could afford to put a few bucks in to mod them. What I found that was most effective was dumping the stock speakers for something a little better. The Ramparte got a Swamp Thang, the Vaporizer got a pair of Legend 10614s, and the Excelsior was fitted with the upgraded Eminence 15". All sound much better now, especially the Vaporizer which is now giggable for small and medium venues (it gets really loud for a small amp). Another positive is these are relatively low-maintenance amps. Because they are relatively low-powered, you aren't going to spend a fortune when you have to re-tube them. Plus, they are relatively easy to work on; tube-rolling is a piece of cake! BTW, I must have been lucky; I didn't have any problem with the speaker swaps--unscrew, lift out, replace.

NMore likes this.
  8. NMore

NMore Tele-Meister

ARGE I don't Like You! :D I was hoping I was a lucky one but all in all the current speaker will never come loose and make cabinet noise like I was getting from that crap original setup..

Believer likes this.
  9. NMore

NMore Tele-Meister

What do I do with that POS ramparte speaker now? I have never heard a worse Special Design speaker like this one. I guess it is Really Really Special...

10. Believer

Believer Tele-Meister

Weeeell, I have quite a collection of unloved 10" speakers laying around. I think I may build a 4X10 cabinet sometime this summer as a home for these poor unwanted orphans. All of them are low-powered (25 watt max), relatively inefficient designs, so they might work pretty well combined with a Vox NightTrain 50 watt tube head I have that I don't use very often. We'll see if I can summon up the energy to build it. You may find a use for yours as well. BTW, is that Jensen MOD a 1035 or 1050? I built a 2X10 a couple of years ago with MOD 1035s. It's a little oversize for 10" speakers, but it sounds fantastic. My buddies who have played through it all thought it was a 2X12 with Vintage 30s, and they are much better musicians than I. I think those "cheap" Italian-made Jensen MODs are very nice speakers--especially for the price.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  11. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Meister

Back here in Finland we have a saying that ”put it as a fishing net’s weight”.

12. NMore

NMore Tele-Meister

It's the 12/50. I really like the sound of the Jensen MOD's

Believer likes this.
  13. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dope the edge to control the low end, a bit, and try it in somthing else.

14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Best Excelsior I ever heard ? Stock one I sold to a buddy right after they first came out.

He spent the next three years running analogue synths through it. Loud.

Cheap original speaker is beyond broken in.

I played through it recently and it’s a fantastic sounding amp.

Still factory original everything.

???

15. NMore

NMore Tele-Meister

That's an idea. Thanks

16. NMore

NMore Tele-Meister

I had an Excelsior and really liked it, but the SD speaker 15" in that amp and the 12" SD in this one which I am assuming was played for 5-6yrs sucks rear end in comparison!

17. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

I love that speaker, it's sounds excellent in mine and even better if I just use it as a cab.

I had to mod the hell of the amp to make it sound halfway decent, sounded just as bad stock with any external cab.

18. NMore

NMore Tele-Meister

Mine sounds Immensely better then the stock. Plus the Tube upgrade I did also helped. The Ruby 6l6 which I really like was microphonic so change to a JJ 6L6GC and put a 12AU7 in the V1. Just looking to use this amp at band practice with a OD pedal in front of it.

19. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

I would really like to know how many people on here are actually sure their speaker is broken in before they changed it.

With used ones it's hard to tell how much it's been played. I think mine was broken in when I got the amp.

The 12AU7 is a good mod, I had even put in a 12AY7 in the V2 slot. It sounded good on the cool channel, the hot channel was still too bright. I later put 6SN7s in and changed a cap.

NMore likes this.
  20. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Sell them on Ebay. Lots of people need speakers for all those small 2.5watt and 5watt amps they buy on the net.

NMore likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.